Author Topic: Retained list  (Read 6670 times)

woad_pilgrim

Retained list
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
See the retained list is on the O/S. http://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/united-announce-retained-list-572932.html

As I've already said Semps I'm disappointed and personally I'm not sure Jelley has done enough, apart from that fairly happy. No mention of Liam Parker or Adam Millson so safe to say they have left as well. Let's hope JL has hung his boots up as well.

Think we need:

GK
CB
defensive ball winning CM
Big striker for a plan b

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Retained list
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Agree WP with all above except Semps.
Five gone so should free enough money to fill your suggested requirements .
Will all offered terms may accept.?

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
Think we need:

GK
CB
Big striker for a plan b

And with the exception of the GK that has been the same since.... oh yeah the start of this season just gone!  JL is making me really work at having any enthusiasm so far.  Let's hope for some jaw dropping signings.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Think we need:

GK
CB
Big striker for a plan b

And with the exception of the GK that has been the same since.... oh yeah the start of this season just gone!  JL is making me really work at having any enthusiasm so far.  Let's hope for some jaw dropping signings.

Out of interest if you agree that is what we are short of, how is "JL is making me really work at having any enthusiasm so far"?

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
Because it was blatantly obvious by October where we were short, changes have taken too long to happen and those who have been brought in hardly inspire confidence for the future.

Also I can sort of get why Bazza is out of the picture - IF he has someone better lined up - but do not see how letting Semple go is a step in the right direction.  What better player for the money will we get?  The lad clearly is gutted at not even being given a sniff of proving his worth and in my view deserved at the very least an offer and a pre-season to show he is still one, if not the best, attacking player we have.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Will all offered terms may accept.?
That is the big question, Ross, Sleath and SWD are our most influential players and probably the most likely to leave? Although Ross and Sleath have indicated they want to stay so who knows...

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
Money talks, Yates proved that last time round. 

It's great to hear so many say they love it and want to stay but fair play if the money is not right and they have commitments to meet (home/family/etc.) then so be it.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »
Because it was blatantly obvious by October where we were short, changes have taken too long to happen and those who have been brought in hardly inspire confidence for the future.

Also I can sort of get why Bazza is out of the picture - IF he has someone better lined up - but do not see how letting Semple go is a step in the right direction.  What better player for the money will we get?  The lad clearly is gutted at not even being given a sniff of proving his worth and in my view deserved at the very least an offer and a pre-season to show he is still one, if not the best, attacking player we have.

I agree with most of what you say, except the bit about who has been brought in. Ross, SWD and Connor Marshall made a big difference to the side and without them the need list would have been a lot bigger. I'm hopeful that JL already has players in mind for the key positions highlighted.

Let's also not forget the youth team, Sturman could fill the centre back role, Elliot Price is one who has always caught my eye whenever I have watched them and has the build to be the ball winning midfielder, then there is Sanders or Nutell that could do a job up front. Not saying we should go with these but there is potential there as Reed's performance Saturday is testament to that...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:59:47 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
I agree with both of you in part.

Agreeing with MNH, that it has been clearly obvious since at least October, possibly since July last year that we needed a commanding centre back (once it was clear that Austin was no longer that man), a ball winning midfielder and a target man up front as a Plan B.

But also agreeing with WP that the replacements brought in were some of our better players after Xmas (SWD, Marshall and Ross) and so do inspire confidence but they still did not address the problems which were created, especially after Whitey leaving and it being clear JL was not the answer up front.

This is now make or break for JL with Semple especially being popular but didn't seem to fit the 4-3-3 formation being played, as well as seeing whom out of the players with terms offered decide to stay..

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
I don't want
jaw dropping signings
. I want to have never heard of them, only for me to go to my first game of the new season and say "oh I remember him, he is that lad from *insert mid table nothing team* that always scored against us, the annoying bastard" I want to be amazed by the background work Jason has done pulling rabbits out of hats. The Hyde/Stalybridge way, not the Trinity way. He needs to prove he can make a team, not just buy a team.

Surely some of the offers are made with the thought to if others come in for them ala Church, get some money, rather than realistic offers, Newtons been stung before, he'll know the game now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:52:08 PM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Perfectly put LCB.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »
agree with the retained list, but hope Jason has a goalkeeper lined up ( Haystead ?) who is big and commanding in the box. Drury did okay as a reserve, but is not in control of his area due mainly to his size. I'm sure Jason can see what most of us do.
Have a good summer folks, back with a season ticket next season.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
 Agree with losing wingers..always hit and miss
 Maybe play 352 / 532 next  term. . Fee did a good job with it..

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
I agree with most of what you say, except the bit about who has been brought in. Ross, SWD and Connor Marshall made a big difference to the side and without them the need list would have been a lot bigger. I'm hopeful that JL already has players in mind for the key positions highlighted.

Ross is not a ball winning midfielder - nothing was even attempted there.

SWD is not a big lad for the plan b - Leon Constantine.... who then himself said he didn't fancy it

Marshall arrived at the end of Jan -  when so much ground had already been lost.

Overall the big areas were not dealt with quickly enough, I hope the lesson has been learnt, I'm just not sure it has.  Let's see who actually re-signs then we will see what is needed and for JL to earn his money.

Oh and I considered Holsgrove a jaw dropping signing, so maybe I should not be using that expression ;)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
I also expect a lot of cagey dealings and players taking trials on the quiet.  If Tinpoty are still in our league I expect them to be chasing anything Lee has phoned or spoken to.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.