Author Topic: ROTHERHAM UNITED: Millers want Evans as boss  (Read 9323 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
ROTHERHAM UNITED: Millers want Evans as boss
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
Published on Thursday 5 April 2012 07:44

ROTHERHAM United look to have made Steve Evans the No 1 target to become their next manager.

I believe the Crawley Town boss has been identified by Millers chairman Tony Stewart as the leading choice from the short-list they had drawn up.

Evans, the fiery Scot with a controversial past, took Crawley into the Football League last season and has them challenging for automatic promotion from League Two where they are currently lying third.

Stewart would have to seek permission from Crawley to approach Evans and speak to him and is understood to be considering such a move if he hasn’t already done so.

Early on in the selection process, which followed the sacking of Andy Scott, Stewart said he did not discount looking at managers currently in a job and was willing to stump up compensation if he felt such a target was the right man.

It is seen as a very attractive job at this level with Rotherham moving into a new ground, the New York Stadium, in time for next season and Stewart having a reputation as a chairman who gives the fullest backing to his managers.

It would come as no surprise if Evans found such attention in him for a job like this as appealing.

When Rotherham played at Crawley two weeks ago – just days after the Scott departure – Evans described Rotherham as a ‘very progressive club’ led by ‘an outstanding chairman’. He had clearly been taking note.

Stewart has been determined to get promotion and had desperately sought it in time for the club moving to their new ground next season.

After the long-term project he initially undertook with Scott, who changed things behind the scenes, Stewart says the priority is now to ensure they get promotion next season and the search appeared to swing towards those who have success on their CVs.

Evans had two promotions with Boston United, the second of them into the Football League in 2002.

However, the FA launched an investigation into Boston’s financial affairs, notably what were termed ‘contract irregularities’, with the club fined and having points deducted. Among other matters arising from that, Evans was banned from football for 20 months.

He returned as Boston manager in 2004 but a criminal investigation was launched into previous matters of tax evasion at Boston culminating in a Crown Court trial at which Evans, having initially pleaded not guilty, changed his plea to guilty at the last minute and received a 12 month suspended sentence. A co-accused, the former club chairman Pat Malkinson, received a two-year suspended sentence.

Evans quit as Boston manager in 2007, after they were relegated back out of the league, and he then took over at Crawley a few days late

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: ROTHERHAM UNITED: Millers want Evans as boss
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Evans hasn't achieved anything without cheating or buying the league, why any chairman would want to drag the clubs name through the mud is beyond me.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
On " Millermad" forum Evans link to the job is provoking  the usual fan reaction .
About 90% are filled with dispair while the remainder fall for the usual Evans talk .
 "Great fans and club " etc .   

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
I'd be sickened to the core if that shithouse got the job, I've a family connection with the Millers through a famous old pre and post war Millers player, Fred Hanson. He was my grandfathers brother and he racked up around 300 appearance and a shed load of goals for them in between a spell at Crystal Palace and a broken leg at Lincoln in the 49/50 season ended his playing days. To think a cancerous piece of work like that could be associated with the club 'Uncle Fred' plays for makes my skin crawl.

I only hope The Millers fans can find the fortitude to see rubbish like that off.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »
Club on the rocks, desperate for a turnaround, so desperate they're blind to the lies and the living beyond their means approach.

Worryingly I could see it happening, assuming the debt collectors are brewing around Creepy.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Difficult to add humour when talking about the scumbag but did you realise N/F you stole one of his lines   "family connections in the area "

Like LCB hints could be bleak times shortly for creepy fans . Form suggests when the cupboard is bare Evans will jump ship .

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
Been announced as true, that's Crawley gone then and the buckets out at Rotherham again in 2016.

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
Tis true.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17656607
Anyone know wy he left Crawley?
TS

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Tis true.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17656607
Anyone know wy he left Crawley?
TS

I can guess.  Interest free credit ran out this summer.

orangecoat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
just wait until all the irregularities appear from Crawley Town

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
Quik quids loans must be due either that or cash4gold don't want anymore of his tat

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
just wait until all the irregularities appear from Crawley Town

Comments already on their forum about  suspected 'financial irregularities' and no money available for new players, £150k less money in to club than last year - oh dear, oh dear!!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
We warned the Crawley fans!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
Buckets out at Crawley before seasons end ?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
I wouldn't piss in their bucket.