A logical solution
This puzzle was sent in to me by "Potteries Pilgrim", one of the
posters on Pilgrims' Patter. It's a nice recreational logic puzzle of the type
that is often found in puzzle magazines. It is easiest to solve if you draw
up grids of all the possibilities and use logic to eliminate various combinations.
If anyone else has any further good problems that they would like to see on
the Mindbenders, then just send me an e-mail. (email@example.com)
The Pilgrim United webmaster was transferring some of last season's results into
a new database. Unfortunately some of the information from five of the games
had become mixed up. From the clues below can you identify the scorer, the competition
and opponent, the way the goal was scored and the result of each game?
- Angel, who didn't play in the FA Cup tie, didn't score the goal that gave
United a 3-1 victory.
- Weatherstone didn't score in either the County Shield or the FA Cup tie.
- Jones' volley wasn't in the County Shield and wasn't against York.
- The goal resulting from the free kick wasn't scored against Lincoln but was
in the League.
- Pilgrim United beat Oxford 2-1.
- Weatherstone's header against Swansea wasn't in the LDV Trophy.
- Redfearn's goal won the game 2-0 but not against York.
- The penalty, which was not scored in the County Shield, was against Hull,
but didn't produce a 1-1 draw.
- The five individual goals were respectively:-
- against York,
- scored by Duffield,
- in the LDV Trophy,
- a left footed drive,
- a 1-0 victory in the Worthington Cup.
- Weatherstone scored with a header against Swansea in a 1-0 win in the Worthington Cup.
- Angel scored with a freekick against York in a 1-1 draw in the League.
- Duffield scored from a penalty against Hull in a 3-1 win in the FA Cup.
- Redfearn scored with a drive against Lincoln in a 2-0 win in the County Shield.
- Jones scored with a volley against Oxford in a 2-1 win in the LDV Trophy.