Author Topic: today's game  (Read 15338 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: today's game
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Have we ever played against a team with a "Z" in its name before?

Yeah.......

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »

Good call, Andy.

But have we ever previously played a competitive fixture against a team with a Z in its name?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »
There's also Bergen-op-Zoom who Boston played in a couple of pre-season games just after the war.

The Boston team that played in the 5-2 win in Bergen-op-Zoom on 18/8/1947

Last time I looked there were only three English teams with a z in their names:

Curzon Ashton
Devizes Town
St Blazey

and until yesterday Boston hadn't played any of them.

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »
Blimey, am I that old? - I can remember the game being played at Boston but the pic's obviously the away game. Is that Reg Dilley (director) back row, left, and Freddie Tunstall (back right). Also spot Jock Bayne, Roly Depear (eventually went to Leeds Utd I think), Roy Houghton, and there's Harry Sharp and Tommy Mitcham on front row
MEMORIES!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:13:13 AM by Old Pilgrim »

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
Blimey, am I that old? -

You must be that old OP, I am.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
Blimey, am I that old? - I can remember the game being played at Boston but the pic's obviously the away game. Is that Reg Dilley (director) back row, left, and Freddie Tunstall (back right). Also spot Jock Bayne, Roly Depear (eventually went to Leeds Utd I think), Roy Houghton, and there's Harry Sharp and Tommy Mitcham on front row

I got the photo from one of Tommy Mitcham's sons and I've also got the team line-up from the match report in the Standard, but I haven't been able quite match the names on the line-up with the players in the photo!

The team line-up was: Jock Bayne, George Darwin, Clark, Martin, Roly Depear, Harold Pond, Roy Houghton, Jack Stone, Harry Sharp, Tommy Mitcham, Jennings.

On the photo on the back row I think I can recognise: Reg Dilley (Director), Harold Pond, George Darwin, Roly Depear, Jock Bayne, ?, Martin, Fred Tunstall (Manager). On the front row: Roy Houghton, ?, Tommy Mitcham, Harry Sharp, ?.

I can't see anyone looking like Jack Stone!

Any help in filling in the gaps would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:35:07 PM by Ken Fox »

Seenbetter

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
I don't believe Old Pilgrim is that old. Anyone who can master a computer and get a word (memories) scrolling along the bottom like that is a genius and can't be more than 40. I'm envious.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
Blimey, am I that old? - I can remember the game being played at Boston but the pic's obviously the away game.

I've also got a photo from the home game a year earlier on 24th August 1946. This one was in the Standard and everyone in it is named.

Before the match on Saturday between Bergen op Zoom and Boston United, Mr. C. A. Faulkner took the opportunity of snapping the Boston side, together with some of the reserves and directors. Those in our group are as follows: Standing: Messrs. J. Ostler, R. A. Dilley and Luesby (directors), F.Chapman, Rippin, Elsam, Crossley, McClure, Howard, Joyce, Eaglen, Pate, Dickinson, Harmston, Harvey, Houghton and W. Toynton. Bottom row: Drury, Kent, Bartley, Harris, Sharp, Mitcham, Martin, F.Tunstall (manager), Cook and E. Howard.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
Enough of the ageism! I was programming English Electric mainframes in 1968, and in machine-code too. I still know where to find the on button every morning (if I remember to get up).

Can someone show me the way to the bathroom?

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
I don't believe Old Pilgrim is that old. Anyone who can master a computer and get a word (memories) scrolling along the bottom like that is a genius and can't be more than 40. I'm envious.

Don't be envious, please! Wouldn't say I can 'master' a computer, it's easy to scroll (see moving button on 'tags' when you send a message) AND I can remember the latter part of WW2!!

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
Blimey, am I that old? - I can remember the game being played at Boston but the pic's obviously the away game.

I've also got a photo from the home game a year earlier on 24th August 1946. This one was in the Standard and everyone in it is named.

Before the match on Saturday between Bergen op Zoom and Boston United, Mr. C. A. Faulkner took the opportunity of snapping the Boston side, together with some of the reserves and directors. Those in our group are as follows: Standing: Messrs. J. Ostler, R. A. Dilley and Luesby (directors), F.Chapman, Rippin, Elsam, Crossley, McClure, Howard, Joyce, Eaglen, Pate, Dickinson, Harmston, Harvey, Houghton and W. Toynton. Bottom row: Drury, Kent, Bartley, Harris, Sharp, Mitcham, Martin, F.Tunstall (manager), Cook and E. Howard.

Blimey Ken I knew Cookie was getting on but I didn't think he was that old
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
Cheeky Sod!

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »

I got the photo from one of Tommy Mitcham's sons and I've also got the team line-up from the match report in the Standard, but I haven't been able quite match the names on the line-up with the players in the photo!

The team line-up was: Jock Bayne, George Darwin, Clark, Martin, Roly Depear, Harold Pond, Roy Houghton, Jack Stone, Harry Sharp, Tommy Mitcham, Jennings.

On the photo on the back row I think I can recognise: Reg Dilley (Director), Harold Pond, George Darwin, Roly Depear, Jock Bayne, ?, Martin, Fred Tunstall (Manager). On the front row: Roy Houghton, ?, Tommy Mitcham, Harry Sharp, ?.

I can't see anyone looking like Jack Stone!

Any help in filling in the gaps would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Stone second from left on bottom row?

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
I can only see 11 (assuming the guy at the back in the polo neck sweater is the goalie) blokes in playing kit.....did the reserves wear shirt and ties in them days?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
Remember staying at a youth hostel at Bergen op zoom in early 1970 s .
 About 7 Italian lads arrived .. crammed in a VW Beetle !  . . complete with large flagon of red wine ..
  So we had a game of footie  .. think I was in my defensive midfield role ..