Author Topic: what would you give if you had been the ref  (Read 7244 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile

Seenbetter

Re: what would you give if you had been the ref
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
I would have given the goal as well. The player was getting in the goalies way but thats for the ref to sort out. If the goalie(have I spilt that right BG?) kicks the ball at the player as he apparently did then he must suffer the consequences. One could consider the players actions as obstruction but that rule seems to have been rubbed out of the book, for example when a player gets between an opponent and the ball and deliberately holds him back to allow the ball to run out of play is to me obstruction. If he is not playing the ball but playing the player then surely that is wrong. I think it disgraceful when that happens. If a defender wraps his arm around a player or holds him back then he is penalised but it seems perfectly all right to lean back into a player to stop him getting to a ball running out.
I am sure someone with a rule book will put us right.
Perhaps the fa should bring in a qualification for prospective referees that they should have played football at some time in their life.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
If the goalie(have I spilt that right BG?)

Take a chill pill  :D

I wasnt having a go at you when you spelt whingers like wingers, i just thought it needed correcting or some people might not know what you were on about.

Anyway i think it was wrong to give the goal, the defender was still inside the box and not giving the goalkeeper any room to kick it, i think Peter Schmeichel did that once too.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
I saw something similar at Carrow Road in the eighties. Rob Newman hung around the keeper, who dropped the ball against Newman and he tapped it into the net. The ref gave a free kick to the keeper and booked Newman. I have never been able to find that in the rule book, unless it's ungentlemanly conduct for wanting to score.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
goal.  the keeper is an idiot to kick it

Seenbetter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
Thanks BG. I've had me chill pill (actually it was whisky). Must confess I was writing in a hurry and wondered aboot me spelling but couldn't be bothered to look it up. I understand your motive and appreciate it. Still think the goalkeeper screwed up though. What about obstructing a player who's trying to get the ball though?

Rich 77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:26:06 AM »
If a car was illegally parked and you chose to drive your car into the parked car, would you then moan that the car was illegally parked.....or would you hang your head in shame, slap a sticker on your forehead saying "Im a fecking idiot", please take me home. GOAL!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
Doesn't look like the player raises his leg to it or particularly does anything dangerous.  I've never seen any rule that states the player must retreat when the keeper has it, you're not allowed to block them from running with the ball but he doesn't as the keeper gets it away so....

GOALL
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Stumpie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Im a qualified ref, but i have no idea.. thats local refs for ya ;)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
Im a qualified ref, but i have no idea.. thats local refs for ya ;)
Dont put yourself down Stumpie!
We saw loads of refs when we were in the league that appeared to have not much idea about football rules.

Stumpie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
Well seriously now,
The striker was walking towards the goalie, so the intent was there, and he didnt back off.. so id have to give an indirect free kick, and maybe a yellow card if the striker gave me jip/