Author Topic: Worksop  (Read 5879 times)

TransitVan_

• View Profile
Worksop
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:25 AM »
Anyone know the prices to get in at Worksop?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worksop
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
£8.00 adults.
£4.00 OAP
£2.00 under 16

I emailed there web admin the other day and asked the same lol.

TransitVan_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
cheers ;D

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
I live close to the area and will be attending tomorrow; I may have missed something here;
But why don't Worksop Town actually play in Worksop and why in Ilkeston???

Help needed!!!

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
I live close to the area and will be attending tomorrow; I may have missed something here;
But why don't Worksop Town actually play in Worksop and why in Ilkeston???

Help needed!!!

Sometimes happends when you forget a little thing called rent. add to that i beleive there was a few issue with the ground, i may be totelly wrong but mr tiger should be along sometime he should be able to clear it up

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
Cheers for getting back to me Bostonshire; still live very close; bout half an hours drive; happy days.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
AFAIK they where screwed over by a former chairman who owned the ground but no longer wanted the football club playing there...hmmm sounds familiar.

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
Further onto that if anyone knows of a decent pub close to the ground that are away fan friendly I'd really appreciate some input.  Not sure whether there is a bar connected to the ground???  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:29:32 PM by PompeyPilgrim »

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
Here's Wikipedia's take on Worksop's recent problems:

In September 2001, property developer Howard Raymond, son of adult entertainment entrepreneur Paul Raymond, became the club's financial backer, revealing plans to develop the Sandy Lane ground to Football League standard. For the start of the 2004-05 season, Worksop became founder members of the Conference North, created as part of Phase One of the restructuring of non-league English football. The latter half of that season saw the club hit financial difficulties, including a £60,000 debt to Bassetlaw Council. Raymond formed a new company, 1861 Leisure Limited, to take over the club and its assets. As a result, the club were deducted 10 points, transforming the team's season from a credible promotion challenge to a relegation battle. The club eventually finished 17th in their first season of Conference North football. The 2005-06 season saw the team further struggle, finishing 19th in the division, despite an impressive FA Trophy run which saw them beat Conference National sides Burton Albion and Accrington Stanley. 21st place in 2006-07 signalled relegation for Worksop, and with it a return back to the Northern Premier League Premier Division. Raymond disengaged from the football side of club business, but retained ownership of 1861 Leisure, and therefore the club's ground and assets. In February 2008, the club itself were severed from the holding company, becoming effectively tenants at Sandy Lane, and in April 2008, club officials were locked out of the ground. No reasons have been given for this action. The club played its home fixtures in 2008-09 at Watnall Road in Hucknall. finishing 17th in the Unibond Premier.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
The Wikipedia entry sums it up quite well.

Basically we were locked out of our ground and never been given a reason why. The Board always maintained rent, etc. was up to date despite our troubles.

What it doesn't mention is that during the close season before we were locked out Raymond's Company planned a 2 day music festival at the ground. This was turned down by the Council.  I think the football club may have objected too as it was gue some time in July and di not leave enough time to do work on the pitch before the season started.

There was due to be a court case between the Council and Raymond last Autumn, but the Council settled out of court. Again the details of what it was all about were never made public. The propsed music festival??

During our period of exile Raymond has been renting the ground out to other clubs in order to fulfill his obligations as per his lease. Last season it was FC Brimington, a team from near Chesterfield.

As fans we feel we have been s**t on by Raymond ...

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
sounds a tosser

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »
sounds a tosser

One of the more polite names I've heard him called  ;D

PompeyPilgrim there is certainly a clubhouse with SkySports on the ground where you can get a pint. Not sure about pubs near to the ground.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
like to try and keep it polite, got to be weary of kids.but i think id be thinking a few other names if i was a worksop fan

PompeyPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
Many thanks F-Tiger

against the odds

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
Pompey Pilgrim - I can remember going in a pub near the Ilkeston ground when we played them in the FA cup back in 1997 (I think).  I reckon it was called the Bridge - it was next to the canal.  Wasn't too friendly that day though.  As we were entering the pub from the rear car park someone was exiting the pub through one of the front windows!

That was 13 years ago so hopefully things might have changed now.  Good luck might be OK Ilkeston away today.