Author Topic: Todays Echo  (Read 13553 times)

Terry dactyl

• View Profile

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Todays Echo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »
Let's be very careful here. There's probably a rule that states that reading and trying to understand the rules is an offence worthy of demotion if your club's name begins with a B, contains at least two Os, and ends in United.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
Seems the Chestnuts are starting to come round to the Conference 'click' idea that all clubs are equal but some clubs are more equal than others thinking that fans have known for years.

Do I get kudos for quoting Orwell on a football forum and it not being about the top shelf version of Animal Farm?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:44:14 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
Cant see this happening to be honest.

By the looks of it our situation was different to Northwich's, but i would love it if we did win anything, as a big "feck you" to the Conference.

Seenbetter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
If the F***ing A****oles had not demoted BU that extra league I think that on last seasons performance we would have done it ourselves anyway. It may have prevented us getting into further debt and did us a favour. As for the legal action perhaps we could set up a fund for donations to screw the fa legally. What they did to BU was pure vindictiveness, bloody minded and personal almost to the point of it being a vendetta against the club. Its a shame they havent got the balls to go after the folk who were responsible for the mess in the first place instead of throwing their weight around after easy targets.
Might change my name to Mr. Angry.
As for Scott and Hurst-----keep going, the faithful are with you and the wingers are just----well there just wingers. Roll on the new season and if you need someone to stand uselessly on the wing then I'm your man.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
If the F***ing A****oles had not demoted BU that extra league I think that on last seasons performance we would have done it ourselves anyway. It may have prevented us getting into further debt and did us a favour. As for the legal action perhaps we could set up a fund for donations to screw the fa legally. What they did to BU was pure vindictiveness, bloody minded and personal almost to the point of it being a vendetta against the club. Its a shame they havent got the balls to go after the folk who were responsible for the mess in the first place instead of throwing their weight around after easy targets.
Might change my name to Mr. Angry.
As for Scott and Hurst-----keep going, the faithful are with you and the wingers are just----well there just wingers. Roll on the new season and if you need someone to stand uselessly on the wing then I'm your man.

Its Whingers i think, not wingers, they play the football, and we havent really got any here, apart from Chelsea.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
The way I understand it, and please bear in mind that this is based on media reports and not having viewed the actual rules, is that the rule is that any club subject to an insolvency event on the second Saturday in May would not be eligible for membership of the Conference for the forthcoming season. "Insolvency event" is defined as being in administration, having a company volunatry agreement (CVA) or - and this is key - having applied to go into administration.

While Northwich technically entered administration after the second Saturday in May, it is my understanding that they applied to go into it before that date. If that is the case, then they contravened the rule and should have been demoted, which would mean (although I'm no lawyer!) that we have a very good grounds for legal action.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
Can we go to a court of law on the basis that the rules in a sporting event are unfair or not enforced fairly?

If we do not go to a court of law who do we appeal to? The FA?

Genuine questions. I do not know.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »
The way I understand it, and please bear in mind that this is based on media reports and not having viewed the actual rules, is that the rule is that any club subject to an insolvency event on the second Saturday in May would not be eligible for membership of the Conference for the forthcoming season. "Insolvency event" is defined as being in administration, having a company volunatry agreement (CVA) or - and this is key - having applied to go into administration.

While Northwich technically entered administration after the second Saturday in May, it is my understanding that they applied to go into it before that date. If that is the case, then they contravened the rule and should have been demoted, which would mean (although I'm no lawyer!) that we have a very good grounds for legal action.

if your not a lawyer then you should seriously consider it

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Can we go to a court of law on the basis that the rules in a sporting event are unfair or not enforced fairly?

My gut reaction is that we could sue for loss of earnings. We could argue that we'd have had higher crowds, better season ticket sales, higher sponsorship, more prize money, later entry into FA Cup etc if we'd been in Conference North. If the Conference (or FA) have been negligent in their application of their rules then they are responsible for this loss.

I'd imagine we would be making a claim to The Court of Arbitration for Sport, but I'm honestly not sure.

if your not a lawyer then you should seriously consider it

Gracias.  ;D

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »
The Northwich Guardian says appendix E, the grounds on which the Conference demoted both clubs, is as follows:

A Club will not be eligible for membership of the Competition for the following season if by the second Saturday in May in the current season it shall be subject to an Insolvency Event.

Similarly, a Club shall not be eligible for membership of the Competition for the following season if between the second Saturday in May and the Annual General Meeting of the Company it has undergone an Insolvency Event.

Further, a Club will not be eligible for membership of the Competition for the following season if it shall have entered into an Insolvency Event during the preceding season and have exited such Insolvency Event without paying its creditors (including but not limited to football creditors) in full.

In the event of a Club suffering an Insolvency Event after the Annual General Meeting of the Company and prior to the start of the new season then the Club will cease to be eligible for membership of the Competition for the new season and the Club will be relegated from the Competition to a level within the National League System as may be decided upon by the Football Association.

Source: http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/vics/4423534.Conference_rules__Appendix_E_in_full/

Looking at the second paragraph, I'd think Northwich's transgression is about as blatant as you can get.  We were presumably demoted on the grounds of the first paragraph, but at least with us you could claim there's some ambiguity - arguing that we were still in rather than subject to an insolvency event by the second Saturday in May, the only event to affect it in that time was coming out of the thing.

TASGOE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
The way I read it, the last paragraph seems to say that appendix E concerning being thrown out for insolvency isn,t the issue because rule 14 states that punishment for insolvency is a 10 point deduction only

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »

My gut reaction is that we could sue for loss of earnings. We could argue that we'd have had higher crowds, better season ticket sales, higher sponsorship, more prize money, later entry into FA Cup etc if we'd been in Conference North. If the Conference (or FA) have been negligent in their application of their rules then they are responsible for this loss.

I'd imagine we would be making a claim to The Court of Arbitration for Sport, but I'm honestly not sure.

Has such a thing been done before? Would this set a precedent.

Football teams would be claiming against referees that make bad desicions that result in them losing revenue.

I'm all for us getting anything but I feel that it would probably be another wasted £20K on legals and more bad publicity people seeing "BUFC" and "Courts" in the same sentance even though we would be the plaintiff this time.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »

Its a long journey but it as to start with a aproach to the confrence again then the fa followed by court and basicilly you can take it to the biggest court that you want longs you have a solid base for it

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
Well one good thing is that the Setanta crisis wont affect us!

It will be interesting to see the repercussions of this