Author Topic: Predictions...  (Read 3474 times)

woad_pilgrim

Predictions...
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Following on from Richie P's ground grading thread, he mentioned rival teams having to play each other. For a bit of fun I have knocked together a spreadsheet for predicting results for us and our promotion rivals which I have attached to this post.

To use go to sheet 2 and predict results for each team e.g. for Retford column e2:e20 enter w,d or l. Once you have done this for all 6 teams check sheet 1 a9:c15 this will show the predicted positions for the end of season.

sheet 1 a1:d7 is the current positions and points/games. This is a rolling results table so as each game is played the points are added, so once results are known then the predictions can be altered to real results. I've also added a PPG a17:c23 which is also a rolling table.

If you want to test out how things will look by a certain date then just edit sheet 2 cell b32. For example add +9 to the end the contents and it'll display how things look for the 20th Feb, notice how the actual and estimate results change, on sheet 1 tables also change to reflect this.

As it stands I have put estimated results in for what is needed for us to win the league, and for me we need 11 wins and 2 draws and things to go for us in other games between rivals...

Hope this isn't too complicated  :-\

Seenbetter

Re: Predictions...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Congratulations WP, it's not 8am yet and I've already got an headache.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
Sorry SB  ;D

I suppose I could've made it more user friendly by using vba code or even better a database, but there are size limits on attachments, plus more importantly that would have just taken too much time and effort which I really couldn't be arsed to do, so you'll just have to make do with the simple spreadsheet and the headache.  ;)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
Is it getting that boring that side of town WP,

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
Wouldn't know I moved out of Woad Farm Road 3 years ago after spending most of my life in various houses that end. Have moved the other end of town now.

Wasn't bored anyway just that everyone at the ground and on here have been talking about the games in hand scenario and it seemed easy to knock up a spreadsheet (as I work in IT) to show just how much we need to do and how we need everyone else to lose a few for us to win it.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
I use to live in the area. my grandad still does and still spends most of the time propping the bar up in the woad man. I think ill leave the predictions for a while got a feeling theres gonna a be a lot more twist and turns over the next 4 weeks.Expecting some teams to make massive cuts.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »
Tue 16th February
Premier Division
Burscough vs Nantwich Town
Durham City vs Stocksbridge Pa.
Guiseley vs Whitby Town
North Ferriby U. vs Bradford Park A.

The bottom two fixtures are key for us. Whitby are coming on strong but Guiseley need the points too and the North Ferriby V BPA is a brilliant one because someone has to drop points in that one.

Wednesday 17th February 10
Premier Division
  Buxton  vs  Ossett Town 19:45
  FC United of Manchester  vs  Kendal Town 19:45
  Worksop Town  vs  Frickley Athletic 19:45

Kendal will have a tough one against FCUM as FCUM aren't too far off the play offs themselves, granted it would take one hell of a run.

All I know is that if we keep wining our games the teams below us all have to play each other yet. Its BPA who are the biggest worry with a MASSIVE three games in hand.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
In my own veiw BPA with there games in hand will win it with maybe a 6 to 10 pt Gap. I never expected us to win the league and those that automaticly expected boston to walk the league becouse they still have the lots of fans big club mentality probely need to learn a bit more about the clubs current possistion.

However those that do realise the current affairs maybe had the same expectations as myself. Top haf finish would be a possitive turn around and play offs would be a fantastic effort. ( even if we all did hope to win it ).

Lets not forget this year despite our big fan base and big club status our budget is only competive, less than some more than others.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
Personally I haven't given up on the title although it will take a monster run with no defeats and only a couple of draws but the lads really seem to have come to terms with how to grind results out when not playing as well, so it's still unlikely but not impossible.

As far as I'm concerned FCUM and Whitby (mentioned on another thread) have got way too much to do to catch us, they both need to win all their 4 games in hand and then better our results over the next 12 games and they haven't shown that level of consistency so far so I'm not unduly worried about them. So with that in mind I'm hoping that they can turn Guiseley and Kendal over respectively or at least take a point out of them.

As far as Ferriby and BPA are concerned depends if you see us in play-offs or challenging for the title. Personally I'm hoping Ferriby win for the reasons given in the first paragraph. If not then a draw. For those who think the title is out of our reach then they'll be looking for a BPA win.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
Personally I haven't given up on the title although it will take a monster run with no defeats and only a couple of draws but the lads really seem to have come to terms with how to grind results out when not playing as well, so it's still unlikely but not impossible.

As far as I'm concerned FCUM and Whitby (mentioned on another thread) have got way too much to do to catch us, they both need to win all their 4 games in hand and then better our results over the next 12 games and they haven't shown that level of consistency so far so I'm not unduly worried about them. So with that in mind I'm hoping that they can turn Guiseley and Kendal over respectively or at least take a point out of them.

As far as Ferriby and BPA are concerned depends if you see us in play-offs or challenging for the title. Personally I'm hoping Ferriby win for the reasons given in the first paragraph. If not then a draw. For those who think the title is out of our reach then they'll be looking for a BPA win.

Intresting read that. I do think think the tital is out our reach  but do people realise how hard it is to want a bpa win. i would rather be religated and hope for that