Author Topic: Jim Rodwell in Notts County takeover?  (Read 52550 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Rodwell in Notts County takeover?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »

I, like most other supporters, was very disillusioned with the way that Jim Rodwell ran our club to the ground during its final season in the Football League - almost to the point of driving us out of business.

As we feared the worst during that summer of 2007, I started to contemplate what I would do with my Saturday afternoons if Boston United ceased to exist. Being a football supporter I decided that I'd have to find another club. At that point the thought of following Notts County did actually cross my mind. For me, Meadow Lane is a relatively easy run, parking is straight forward and I was used to League Two prices. But with players like Alan White, Austin McCann, Lawrie Dudfield, Gary Silk, Lee Canoville and Jason Lee in the Notts squad at that time, the biggest selling factor would have been the fact that it wouldn't have felt like I was supporting a totally new team.

If Boston had ceased to exist during that summer, my opinion of Jim Rodwell would have been even lower than it is now. And if I had become an adopted Notts supporter, how exactly would I be feeling right now? I could not personally line Rodwell's pockets again, so would now be looking in protest for a third different club to support in the space of four years!

At this point I think we should all say (again) a massive and sincere thank you to Mssrs Blackwell, Pierpoint, Newton, Kempster and Cook for everything that they have done for the club during that summer and since. We will always be grateful.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
Richard, you missed out Chalker...... ;)

Echo what you say 100% though.

I was contemplating ground hopping if the worst had come to pass, as it is I'm brassic at the moment so that would have been on the back burner too! Hopefully I can get back on my feet in the next 18 months or so and start going away again....mind you a season ticket is my first priority!

Looking at the pictures Ken took yesterday it looks like the support is back to those who used to travel in the 90's before McFraud rolled up plus a few young un's......I wonder where all those ever so loyal, shout the loudest so they must be great fans got to, because I've not seen any at York St or in any away pictures for a good few years now.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
I see that the current caretaker manager at Notts has agreed to stay in charge until the end of the season. Does that mean that a certain rotund Scotsman will be managing them next season?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
Pete's back in form over at Impstalk:

http://www.impstalk.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 02:19:15 PM »

It was interesting to hear the interview which the new Notts County supremo Ray Trew on last night's BBC "Late Kick Off" programme (Midlands area). For anyone whose interested in watching it, it's available for the time being via BBC i-Player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qcpcv

The interviewer asks Mr Trew about his choice of Chief Executive, and his reply states categorically that Jim Rodwell was not to blame for the demise of Boston United.

If this is the case, then I can only deduce that Mr Trew blames Boston's problems entirely on Steve Evans. And if he is (ahem) true to his word, then surely he can't look to appoint Evans as Notts County manager at any stage in the future?

Watch this space.....

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »
Just listened to the Trew clip.

Maybe he blames Sotnick for everything? That would leave St*v* *v*ns in the clear for the County job in the summer.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
He may have tried to hide that smug face behind a stupid (however very well kept) beard, but seeing Crazy Jim on the box stills makes me feel a little bit sick and a little bit more angry.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Stumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
Well, Trew sounded less than convincing to me and I reckon that there could be a scenario in the making at Notts County that we have seen before, even been part of.

Trew stated emphatically that Rodwell had no part in the demise at Boston United. What he did not offer forward was any evidence to back up his bold statement. A cynic might ask, what did you expect him to say?

He stated that the debt at Notts County now stood at £6 million, now that is a fair wedge to find when you are not the main attraction in town.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
I think Trew and Rodwell will be gone in 8 weeks.

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
And Magpies’ new executive chairman Jim Rodwell said: “It’s not what we know that worries us, it’s what we don’t know.

“The accounts are in such a state it’s difficult for anybody to be able to put a finger on the level of debt.

“Our accountants are going through the process at the moment.”

As well as their existing debts, County are now struggling to cope with a crippling wage bill.

Keeper Kasper Schmeichel, 23, earns £18,000-a-week after arriving from Premier League Man City last summer.

The club are so desperate to sell Schmeichel they have even been touting him to Russian clubs, whose transfer window is still open.

County’s new hierarchy also want to move top scorer Lee Hughes, who earns £4,500-a-week, onto Scottish club Hearts.

While even striker Karl Hawley, 28, earns £3,000-a-week plus an extra £1,000 per appearance and per goal.

Taken from "The Mirror"

Surely Robwell will know all the nooks and crannies that they could have hidden the debt by now

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
Brilliant quote from Robwell!Did he get that from our present chairman?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
Three grand a week striker? Which clown would sanction that in the fourth teir off English football? Next you'll be saying there is a permacrock 36 yr old midfielder on a three year deal at £1900 per week?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Three grand a week striker? Which clown would sanction that in the fourth teir off English football? Next you'll be saying there is a permacrock 36 yr old midfielder on a three year deal at £1900 per week?

Sod the strickers. 18k a week for a keeper :o Do they realise that there is half decent lower end prem keepers getting less than that.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »

Sod the strickers. 18k a week for a keeper :o Do they realise that there is half decent lower end prem keepers getting less than that.

They bought a half decent lower end prem keeper, and needed to offer more for having to play away at Accrington and Macclesfield instead of Old Trafford.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
Quick bit of maths......

£18,000 a week =  £936,000 per year

Average contribution of each spectator at every game is £15 (admission) * 23 (number of games) = £345

Minimum crowd required every game just to pay for goalie is 936000/345 = 2713

Average crowd so far this sesaon = 7517

2713/7517*100 = 36. 

Over one third of the gate money is required just to pay the keeper?

Can't see where the debt has come from?