Author Topic: Gloucester  (Read 3196 times)

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Gloucester
« on: March 09, 2024, 09:24:50 PM »
Well done lads, we needed that result. Now let's have a few more please.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 08:38:30 AM »
Typical, Can't be there and they score seven, bloody marvelous. Such a welcome result after the last two disappointments and really does go to show the lads have it in them. Let's follow this up on Tuesday and get right in the mix for the play offs. Well done to boys and a special mention for all the fans who did get there, simply the best.  UTP

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 09:37:13 AM »
A bit of a non event really. When they brought it back to within one goal I felt we were in no danger.  I thought they were poorer than Bishops Stortford.  We conceded three goals which was a shame, we have a cobbled back line which may be a problem on the run in.  We are hanging onto the last playoff place so still hope.  Tuesday again is a must win against a team we have mixed results against,
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Lord Lucan

• Happy Monkey Say Monkey Do Clapper season2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 11:59:17 AM »
A bit of a non event really.?
7 goals away from home, 2 hat tricks sometimes its good to give credit where credit is due to the players. well done lads onwards and upward.
(rant over)
A bit of a non event really. When they brought it back to within one goal I felt we were in no danger.  I thought they were poorer than Bishops Stortford.  We conceded three goals which was a shame, we have a cobbled back line which may be a problem on the run in.  We are hanging onto the last playoff place so still hope.  Tuesday again is a must win against a team we have mixed results against,
Lets be more positive lets take the GRIM out of pilGRIM patter.
(from a so called on many occasions happy clapper)

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 01:45:02 PM »
Buggered up my prediction score though  ;D

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 03:05:07 PM »

here's to more non events!!!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 08:13:25 AM »
Absolutely no way were there only 649 there!!

Dorset Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 04:06:38 PM »
Living down on the south coast I don't get to many matches, so this was my first game of the season, I thought I would give my opinions for the first time.
I wouldn't say that it was a "non-event", but it wasn't really an exciting game after going 3-0 up in 20 minutes. Having seen some of the missed chances on the highlights videos recently, I was impressed by the way that they took their chances (including the 2 that were disallowed). The defence did look a bit dodgy, especially at set pieces. Jai Rowe looked very good especially when going forward. I was a bit surprised that the crowd was as low as it was reported; that is the sort of crowd that my local team (Wimborne Town) have been getting this season and I am sure there were more at Gloucester on Saturday.
If it is true, as has been reported, that it is the first time 2 United players have scored hat-tricks in the same game since 1967 (28th January 1967 Bromsgrove Rovers 9-1; Jimmy Rayner 3, Peter Thompson 3) then I can lay claim to have been at both matches.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »
Brilliant stat. Congratulations! And 57 years apart!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 06:05:47 PM »
I was at the Bromsgrove game but was visiting my nephew in Spain on Saturday (that will teach me to arrange trips when we're away).

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 07:34:39 AM »
A bit of a non event really.?
7 goals away from home, 2 hat tricks sometimes its good to give credit where credit is due to the players. well done lads onwards and upward.
(rant over)
You didn't understand my point. I was there. As a match, as an event it was very poor. You can only beat what's in front of you. They did that with ease. You can't hide the fact we are conceding too many goals. We conceded three on Saturday to a very poor team. As I said we have had to cobble a defence together. No way in my comments did I call the team.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 09:03:25 AM »
I understand the "non-event" comment - it was an odd game where even at 4-3 it never felt like an actual contest and instead it felt frustrating that our defending from set pieces can be so poor. On the flip side, it was also the case that, although we played well and passed the ball around nicely, we weren't so scintillating that I felt I was watching a game that will echo down through the ages. Nor did it feel as bonkers as the scoreline suggested - the truth is Gloucester were just abysmal.

Having said all that, like Dorset Pilgrim my new home south of Exeter means this was probably my first and only away game of the season. Given I'd resigned myself to it being a terrible 0-0 I will certainly take a 7-3!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 10:57:16 AM »
All I can say is if we get to the play offs lets not get promoted, this lot would be the equivalent of Burnley and The Blades in this season's PL.

Defensively all over the place, we'd be bullied in every game because we're a small team, it'd certainly be a one season National tour.

I enjoyed the day out though, we never really looked in any danger even at 4-3 you knew if we got the next goal we'd probably get 6 or 7.

And a shout out to Gloucester pubs - in what realm of reality is it acceptable to charge £7.15 for a pint of pale ale?   

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »
Agree, Andy if we did get promoted from the playoffs would be a tough challenge in the league above. No surprise the current National League bottom 2 (Oxford City and Kidderminister) are the playoff winners that got promoted from North and South. The gap between leagues does look similar to that between championship and premier league. Would certainly need to strengthen if we got promoted and would see just staying up as a good season. It's where we the fans and the club long to be though so hopefully we can do it. Been a long time in this league, be nice to get a promotion and see some bigger gates and different sides. Even Tamworth top of the league didn't look that special against us, imagine they will struggle next season in the National. 

Anyone found the official Gloucester video highlights online? I'd quite like to see the 7 goals.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 01:36:11 PM by Lee Newell »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 02:50:42 PM »
And a shout out to Gloucester pubs - in what realm of reality is it acceptable to charge £7.15 for a pint of pale ale?

God knows where you ended up but it was £5.75 for two pints in the pub I was in (not Spoons)!