Author Topic: Oh so tight  (Read 3099 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Oh so tight
« on: February 18, 2024, 11:16:19 AM »
We know this is a hard league to get out of, but this year takes the biscuit :D

We are third in the form table ( last 10 games ) behind Tamworth and Brackley. Yet we are still outside the playoffs. Only six points separate 3rd from 11th.  I think goal difference will have a big say in the playoff places. It will soon be squeaky bum time. :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
Re: Oh so tight
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 11:59:31 AM »
I think we will make play offs. Really like the way we are playing getting shots in and having a go. I know BS are bottom but we still had to do business which we did. Our bench looks strong and with us playing teams in the bottom half in the coming weeks could be a strong run in. 

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 12:37:38 PM »
And will any of the teams that eventually make it to the playoffs ‘do a Kidderminster’ from last season?

Getting to the Playoffs will be tough enough, but then it's very much on the day ‘of course’.

Look at our two most recent playoff campaigns:-

We lost at home to Gateshead 0-3 in the league and then beat them 5-3 in the Playoff Semi-Final at York Street. We then go on to lose the Playoff Final at York Street 0-1 to Altrincham, having scored 5 against in the home league match.

We lost the Playoff Final at York City having done the double over them in the league matches. We had beaten both Kidderminster and AFC Fylde away in the Elimination match and Semi-Final respectively – despite both of them having done the double over us in the league.

Having been at the Curzon Ashton v Warrington Town match yesterday, you could see what a difference a week makes.

Even before they had a man sent off against us last week, Warrington hadn’t really given us too much to get concerned about going forward. They had a little spell just after halftime when Aaron Chapman had to make a few saves, but it was far from a busy afternoon for him.

Well, going forward yesterday, Warrington were a complete contrast to how we handled them last week. The normally resolute Curzon defence simply couldn’t handle the Warrington forwards in the first half and Curzon’s forwards created nothing. It was virtually one-way traffic from the first whistle and Warrington ought to have been more than 2-0 in the lead at halftime. It was a more even second half in the driving rain, but I heard two Curzon fans talking on the way out saying to each other that Warrington’s 3-0 win actually flattered Curzon. And I agree with them.

Maybe, then, if both of these reach the Playoffs, and based on our recent Playoff results, Curzon will hope to have a home game against Warrington?

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 06:27:37 PM »
Also worth noting Darlo won 4  0 at South Shields yesterday.... so they're hitting a bit of form and won't be the push over BS were

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 07:38:28 PM »
Also worth noting Darlo won 4  0 at South Shields yesterday.... so they're hitting a bit of form and won't be the push over BS were
but in context….they played against 10 men for 80 minutes and 9 men at the end.
I heard the investment in Shields isn’t what it was, hence the drop in form recently. Yes, Darlo won, but (I hope I’m right) it looks like one of those freak games you get.