Author Topic: Southport  (Read 3243 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Southport
« on: February 03, 2024, 10:17:19 PM »
First of all thanks to Mick and Co for the treat of being in the Acorn Taxis box today. As we talked before the game I stated I thought we were the equal to any team in this division and that we would sail into the playoffs and win promotion, a few raised eyebrows but I stand by my belief we are good enough to achieve it. Before this season we would have been drawn into a kicking match against this Southport side who were a disgrace to the game, but played good posession football to crush them. I don,t want to name any individuals as they all showed us how they have come together and are fast becoming a real team of substance. Lets all if we are able get to Warrington next week and again be the twelth man these boys deserve it. UTP.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Southport
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:27:02 PM »
Well said Oxo. A good performance, yes Southport were one of the worst sides I've seen us play this season but we did a professional job on them.

Into the playoff positions now, let's stay in them until end of season (although we'll definitely drop out of them after Tuesday's matches with Curzon playing Alfreton. Alfreton win or draw and they go above us, Curzon will and they go above us).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:05:49 PM by Lee Newell »

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 08:02:20 AM »
And a very good ref. Except for not booking the nobhead centre back for booting the ball as hard as possible into the stand.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 12:28:13 PM »
I'm the first to call the refs in this league, but I thought he had a good match yesterday.

I thought the first half was very hard to watch. I couldn't understand why we changed our shape and tactics.  We played very narrow, and on occasions you could have thrown a blanket over all 20 outfield players.

Second half the tempo from both sides lifted, and it was a bloody good watch.  I'm getting a little excited, if we can keep up the good form a playoff place is guaranteed.

Well done lads.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 01:34:18 PM »
I agree with all of the above. I have to say our captain often goes under the radar but does a brilliant job. Very very consistent is Michael Bostwick. Interesting interview with their manager who felt his team unnecessarily galvanised the home crowd with their own niggly behaviour and whilst they were still in the game. I felt Southport were as poor as we’ve seen here this season..

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »
One of the poorest first half performances I've seen this was Tamworth.  We should have been 4 up by halftime.  They sussed us out second half.  The rest is history.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 05:29:15 PM »
I agree with all of the above. I have to say our captain often goes under the radar but does a brilliant job. Very very consistent is Michael Bostwick. Interesting interview with their manager who felt his team unnecessarily galvanised the home crowd with their own niggly behaviour and whilst they were still in the game. I felt Southport were as poor as we’ve seen here this season..

Yes, been brilliant recently. If that pass from Bostwick to Knowles who then hit the post had gone in then that would have gone down as an incredible assist. Did have a slip just before half time and have Southport a chance to make it 1-1 though, thankfully they didn't take advantage.