Author Topic: Update from the boardroom  (Read 2929 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Update from the boardroom
« on: December 14, 2023, 04:31:32 PM »
Warm welcome to our newest director - Richard Maxwell, who you may know from his ARM sponsorship and for winning a few bob on the lottery a few years back.

David Newton has been quick to rule out Mr Maxwell pumping substantial funds into the club - and rightly so!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Update from the boardroom
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 10:02:52 AM »
I fully agree Pete and it would be good to see other local business people (fans) coming on board as the club becomes the community club we all dreamed it would be. UTP.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
I don't know Richard and can only speculate, but I wonder if him joining the board is in some way tied in with helping getting the South Stand underway? He could, for example, supply the club with a loan on the kind of favourable terms unavailable on the financial markets, which would mean Mr Newton's quote about "substantial funds" would remain accurate as whatever money came our way would ultimately be repayable? Unlike some of the more conspiracy-minded folk, I've little doubt Newton wants that south stand built asap - it would solve a lot of the gripes from fans in the East Stand in one fell swoop and make segregation far less complicated - plus we really could do with the additional income streams from the gym and sports hall.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 01:36:34 PM »
I don't know Richard and can only speculate, but I wonder if him joining the board is in some way tied in with helping getting the South Stand underway? He could, for example, supply the club with a loan on the kind of favourable terms unavailable on the financial markets, which would mean Mr Newton's quote about "substantial funds" would remain accurate as whatever money came our way would ultimately be repayable? Unlike some of the more conspiracy-minded folk, I've little doubt Newton wants that south stand built asap - it would solve a lot of the gripes from fans in the East Stand in one fell swoop and make segregation far less complicated - plus we really could do with the additional income streams from the gym and sports hall.

I also do not know Richard. But whenever his name has ever come up in conversation, I have heard nothing but good things. I believe the first thing he did after winning the money was buy a mini bus for the old folks in Conningsby. A genuine guy by the sounds of it, welcome aboard.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 03:57:28 PM »
I do know Richard and have known him for around 40 years.  He is a bloody nice guy and as genuine as they come.

I think it is great that he has joined the board, particularly with his business acumen.

Hopefully good days to come for all.

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 04:01:10 PM »
P.S.   Should the cub fail - hopefully never, but Richard could always erect some chicken sheds.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 08:53:56 AM »
I do know Richard and have known him for around 40 years.  He is a bloody nice guy and as genuine as they come.

I think it is great that he has joined the board, particularly with his business acumen.

Hopefully good days to come for all.

Great to hear, and I'm reassured by his vision for a sustainable club too, especially after seeing the news from down the A17. He seems like a good 'un.