Author Topic: Match thread  (Read 9415 times)

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
Match thread
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
Forget the first 97 minutes.

2-1 win.
Liam Parker 90+8

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I think the manner of this win is just what's needed.
  LP seems to get these pressure goals .. top lad .

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
What a cracking result today against a team who seemed very happy to play for a draw, even when we were down to 10 men. Buxton were a physical team, and its these kind of teams in the past weve struggled to hold our own against. Today I thought the lads gave as good as they got. Unfortunately Davies couldnt control his frustration and lashed out I believe, which resulted in the red card. The first half was hardly inspiring for both sets of fans. Very little football played and quite scrappy. Towards the end of the second half we seemed to get our act together and push for a goal. Eventually it paid off with a fabulous header from Person. Their equaliser was a gift - poor defending can only be blamed. Why was no one on the post with Tom ? If there was someone on that post theres a good chance they wouldnt of scored. But the Boston boys battled on in between the man in black getting various decisions wrong but hey, thats what weve become accustomed to at this level of football. The winning goal felt like it was in the cup final - everyone went mental, including some kind of battle between the 2 benches. I think that justice prevailed today in that we won. We werent going to be bullied and fouled out the match by a very poor side only wishing to gain a point from todays match. It will give the squad a massive boost and shows that they never lay down until the final whistle has blown. They made me extremely proud today the way they kept on plugging away. It was far from perfect, rather unpretty stuff for the vast majority of the game but the most important thing is that the lads got the win and 3 points to keep us in the chase for promotion.
Well done to all the players.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:46:56 PM by Pride of Lincolnshire »

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
Who was MoM ?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:02:54 PM »
Who was MoM ?

Church, ran the midfield on his own.  Thought Sleath had a good game, as did the centre backs
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
Pretty perfect summary from "PofL".Great battling from all the boys today.Nice to see one of those type of games go in our favour for a change.Least said about the referee the better,still not sure it was a sending off and how they finished with 11 on the pitch i have no idea.MOM for me was Shaun Pearson,not just for the goal,he was awesome all over the pitch.Well battled lads.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
Great result under heavy conditions and a very physical side. We go up to 2nd place now - keep it up lads.

les

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »
There was no doubt that Pearson mean't it with his goal. He arrived in the area like a runaway train and nothing was going to get in his way or stop him.
Super battling game and justice in the end.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
The ref was the usual sh*t this league has to offer, just when you think you've seen the worst another one comes along with even more bizarre decisions...still let's focus on the positives, not a pretty performance by any stretch today and for the 35 minutes it was 11 V 11 they where the better team. But a magnificent battling performance when down to 10 with the players getting the rewards in the 7th minute of 6 minutes stoppages!! Every player can be proud of himself tonight, I get the feeling that late, late goal is going to be a turning point in the season.

jimmystars

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
great three points today - was a physical game which makes it a better win for us as sometimes we do not do as well against such a physical side - they got what deserved - 0 points.... the way they celebrated a equaliser against 10 men meant the celebrations at the end was justified - as for their assistant manager kicking Church - that was a disgrace and he deserved to get sent off - equally Davies deserved to go for lashing out and now misses 3 games - bring Milly back in - sub place to start and build his fitness up here instead of being on loan or bringing someone else in - also we need to stop being so easy to wind up but on the positive 3 points and back to second in the league
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:45:04 PM by jimmystars »

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »
Can't remember celebrating a goal as much as Liam's winner. Thing is I was behind the York Street goal and my heart sank as the ball hit the bar and bounced down as I thought it wasn't going to go over the line, then in slow motion the ball nestled into the net. Cue celebrations. A strange game in which the man in black lost control of events. He gave throw in's the wrong way, drop ball's that were free kicks and free kicks that weren't. (SWD was never fouled in the free kick that led to our winner, but as we've had little luck this season with decision's I'm not complaining!)
For what it's worth I thought Davies being sent off was incredibly harsh. The defender on him fouled and niggled him, Davies kept trying to pull away from him with the ball and as the defender kept tugging his shirt Davies, tried to swot him off and flicked his arm back. Cue defender going down and Davies seeing red. The ref said he sent him off for a punch (as he was amateur enough to have a row with an angry supporter whilst coming off at half time). In other words Davies may as well have landed a decent right hook on their defender and got his money's worth. A booking would have been a fairer punishment. I as fuming with Jamie Yates for his sending off, but had a bit more sympathy for Davies yesterday.
 Still enough of the ref, he did us a bizarre favour as we played better with ten, showed fight ,passion and determination to win a game that we would have lost last season.
Thought Pearson was immense yesterday and really seems to be coming of age.The way the players celebrated the winner with the management shows what great team spirit there is. If I was a Buxton fan leaving that game I'd have been gutted as I thought they looked more likely to score at the death. Still our diagonal balls into the box seemed to cause them plenty of problems and for once it was us celebrating. Well done lads.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
Can't remember celebrating a goal as much as Liam's winner.
And I can't remember seeing anyone celebrating a goal so much. ;D ;D ;)

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
When six minutes injury time went up, I thought we were more likely to lose than win so credit to the team. As we left we said that was the sort of game that changes a season, makes a side believe they can win things. Let's hope so.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
Was patrick there with his new cam

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:36:51 PM »
Lets hope the managements harsh but true words after last Saturday's game at Kendal have hit home.

The play offs should be very achievable, the title has almost certainly gone, but I for one wouldn't be too upset if we miss out this season on promotion. I think the team is still growing, perhaps another season to mature might be best before promotion because it'd be a shame to go up and struggle and see the support dwindle, much better to go up prepared for the higher league.