Author Topic: V Banbury  (Read 3041 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
V Banbury
« on: October 24, 2023, 09:47:08 PM »
Lost 1-2 :(   Please Mr Culverhouse find us a striker ASAP if not before.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: V Banbury
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 09:50:17 PM »
Absolutely pitiful second half.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 10:06:46 PM »
Now over 7 1/2 hours since a forward scored.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 10:15:17 PM »
That was absolutely dire....I wonder what the excuse will be this time?

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 10:22:03 PM »
Another give it awayday!

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »
They had the wrong studs in because that’s what it looked like!!!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 10:47:56 PM »
What an absolutely pathetic disgraceful exhibition. Not just the forwards, we have no midfield ball winners or ball players, the manager makes a big thing about possession football but goodness knows where that was tonight. We keep being shown videos of skills practise at training sessions well I say stop that crap and get some fitness training done, they don't seem to last over half an hour before they are flagging. I am sorry to say that the manager seems to be taking us down and I really see no glimmer of hope that this will change in the near future but something will have to change very quickly. I hate writing something like this as I love the club and will always support it but I don't think I am the only one who feels this way.  UTP

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 11:17:12 PM »
I 've never seen players slip over so many times as us tonight, it was like watching Bambi on ice. Need some longer studs for Saturday ( Banbury players didn't have the same problem)
After Worksop  I was expecting a reaction but this team is starting to look lightweight  oh how we missed Woods when he went off. 3 defeats in a row we need to play for 90 minutes against Gloucester!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 07:42:18 AM »
Well, I've slept on it .... and it hasn't changed my view of last night. Those on this forum will know that I'm generally optimistic and positive, and I've said previously that I have faith in the way the team was going and Colly wants us to play. That faith has been shaken over the past few weeks and particularly last night. I felt as dispirited at the final whistle as I did at performances under Cox. Where's the pleasant football to feet that we played (admittedly only in patches) earlier in the season? By the end we were out-fought, out-run, out-passed, out-everythinged by Banbury. Even when they went 2-1 up they kept three upfront, presumably because they didn't feel threatened and/or felt it was the best way to keep us out. By the end they looked the team who have three days of training, not us. They had a clear shape and found their men. Good luck to them. We were sloppy, with possession lost too easily.

I've just watched Cully's interview, and I don't recognise the same game. He used the word 'superb' at one point. I didn't see that, apart from perhaps the first few minutes when we looked like a team that was determined to make up for Curzon and Worksop - but, as usual, it didn't last. He went on about the chances we didn't put away, but I really can't remember clear-cut chances that I thought ought to have been a goal. I suppose people will criticise our forwards, but they're feeding on scraps. Balls lumped up to them don't really give them a chance, particularly when the midfield is way back. Most of the few threats we posed were created by them, with Knowles (who looks dangerous when he gets the ball in the right areas) prepared to run at the defence. Both he and Mooney never stopped running all night, to give them their due. If we are going to launch long balls, we could at least try and aim them at someone. Too many sailed over everyone to their keeper.

When we appeared to be getting in nothing but midfielders over the summer, I thought at least we'd be strong in that area. But I suggest that is where we are weakest at the moment. They don't protect the defence or support the attack (that doesn't entirely save criticism of the defence for the goals). When we had throw-ins or free kicks, we were ponderous. At throw-ins players just stand there and there is no movement to try and get the ball, something that has always enraged me with previous managers. When Banbury had a throw-in they were quick to take it with players immediately looking for space. And I don't like the fact that we don't leave anybody up front when the opposition have a corner.

It says it all that if I'd been judging Man of the Match I'd probably chosen Dylan Hill, and he was only on the pitch for about 20 minutes. He showed more desire to get forward and create something in those few minutes than most others in 90+. Somebody in Ellender's afterwards had thought exactly the same!

Cully has to do something. There really is no evidence at the moment that the hybrid system is doing us any good. I know it's a young team, but we seem to be getting worse rather than better. The basics such as ball control and passing to someone in your own team must be improved. And team shape eludes me. I don't enjoy writing this - but rant over. I'll be there, of course, on Saturday. There's always another game (to prove me wrong?)..... UTP!

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 08:50:30 AM »
That is an excellent post and sums up what I and my friends thought. Agree whole heartedly about Dylan Hill. I watched Culverhouse on the touch line and for most of the game he had his hands in his pockets and didn’t seem to be very vocal. I don’t want a Steve Evans type ranter but please show some passion and get angry.
Like you say we’re going backwards at the moment and haven’t any real options to change things, apart from a mini clear out and some loanee’s in ( match fit ones please).

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 09:11:54 AM »
Having also slept on it, I’m broadly in agreement with you David. It was very strange listening to the post-match interviews. Going off Cully’s interview with Craig and Dale and what the commentary team had said during the game itself, I felt like I was being gaslighted– where were all these supposed gilt-edged chances that we spurned? I certainly never felt like we should have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time, so all the talk of “we didn’t put the game to bed” felt a bit off to me. We played okay in patches, but we’ve been saying “we played well in patches” all season and we’re 17th – it’s simply not good enough.

My concerns started last night when the team was announced – I’ve obviously learned the harsh way not to tweet these thoughts out because they often result in my public humiliation, but when I saw the team sheet yesterday I text Dunc and said chucking Sephton in to start seemed slightly desperate given his long injury layoff, and lo and behold by the time he’d run out of gas he’d made two big mistakes in the space of a few seconds and Banbury had scored. This brings us back yet again to the abject lack of squad depth because in any other season Sephton – a fine player – would be eased back in more gently than lobbed into the mix because our options are so thin.

Everything was just so flat and at no point did I ever really feel like Boston were capable of standing up to Banbury in the latter stages, they were working harder than us and their game management – something we’ve got really bad at over several managers now – was exemplary. They’re not a brilliant team but they worked hard and made us look very ordinary. No wonder there were boos at the final whistle.

The fact is that hybrid hasn’t thus far brought any benefits and while I wasn’t expecting immediate results from a brand-new system, all the evidence so far is pointing to it never working out because we can’t afford to do it properly, at least not until the south stand is online with its gym/sports hall revenue. So either we bite the bullet and increase the budget somehow or we start asking serious questions about the club’s ability to sustain hybrid until that stand is built.

We’re at least three experienced players short of a ‘proper’ squad, and you could argue that’s an underestimate. The u23s are already being utilised to fill out the squad and with a couple of rare exceptions loans have historically proven to be an unsatisfactory way of padding the gaps. What’s incredibly frustrating as a fan is that Cully doesn’t seem to want to admit he’s only got three quarters of a squad, and when a manager refuses to acknowledge basic facts we can all see then you start to wonder if he’s on the same page as the rest of us…

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 10:11:06 AM »
I would agree with Cully UP TO A POINT - their keeper did have to make a couple of very decent saves in the first half...but in the second half we were abysmal - we lost purpose, any training strategies went completely out of the window, we appeared frightened to shoot on goal - far to man many needless passes in the forward area with no-one prepared to take responsibility (it only takes one sloppy pass to lose possession). Once Banbury equalised it was obvious we were heading for defeat...the one bright spark being Dylan when he came on - definitely man of the match for us.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 12:27:19 PM »
Having also slept on it, I’m broadly in agreement with you David. It was very strange listening to the post-match interviews. Going off Cully’s interview with Craig and Dale and what the commentary team had said during the game itself, I felt like I was being gaslighted– where were all these supposed gilt-edged chances that we spurned? I certainly never felt like we should have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time, so all the talk of “we didn’t put the game to bed” felt a bit off to me. We played okay in patches, but we’ve been saying “we played well in patches” all season and we’re 17th – it’s simply not good enough.

My concerns started last night when the team was announced – I’ve obviously learned the harsh way not to tweet these thoughts out because they often result in my public humiliation, but when I saw the team sheet yesterday I text Dunc and said chucking Sephton in to start seemed slightly desperate given his long injury layoff, and lo and behold by the time he’d run out of gas he’d made two big mistakes in the space of a few seconds and Banbury had scored. This brings us back yet again to the abject lack of squad depth because in any other season Sephton – a fine player – would be eased back in more gently than lobbed into the mix because our options are so thin.

Everything was just so flat and at no point did I ever really feel like Boston were capable of standing up to Banbury in the latter stages, they were working harder than us and their game management – something we’ve got really bad at over several managers now – was exemplary. They’re not a brilliant team but they worked hard and made us look very ordinary. No wonder there were boos at the final whistle.

The fact is that hybrid hasn’t thus far brought any benefits and while I wasn’t expecting immediate results from a brand-new system, all the evidence so far is pointing to it never working out because we can’t afford to do it properly, at least not until the south stand is online with its gym/sports hall revenue. So either we bite the bullet and increase the budget somehow or we start asking serious questions about the club’s ability to sustain hybrid until that stand is built.

We’re at least three experienced players short of a ‘proper’ squad, and you could argue that’s an underestimate. The u23s are already being utilised to fill out the squad and with a couple of rare exceptions loans have historically proven to be an unsatisfactory way of padding the gaps. What’s incredibly frustrating as a fan is that Cully doesn’t seem to want to admit he’s only got three quarters of a squad, and when a manager refuses to acknowledge basic facts we can all see then you start to wonder if he’s on the same page as the rest of us…
[/quote

Agree with all you have said Pete just a word about the hybrid system, I agree at the moment it is not working and I noticed a poster being displayed on the concourses by BUSA which amongst other things they were trying to raise £25,000 towards the costs of the under 23s team which seems strange to me as I would have expected that funding to have been in this seasons club budget, this is not a pop at BUSA they are dedicated fans working hard for the club but it does seem to me that this and the hybrid system have been mis calculated. Get back to part time and get players who want to play here for the right reasons not kids who now think they top full time pro's.  UTP

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
I 've never seen players slip over so many times as us tonight, it was like watching Bambi on ice.

Well there was that game away at fylde a few years back when it was unexpectedly played in a snowstorm, fylde having some sort of AstroTurf snowshoes scoring 9.