Author Topic: Autumn stock take  (Read 2845 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Autumn stock take
« on: October 16, 2023, 10:57:07 AM »
Cully sounds increasingly fed up in his post-match interviews, and as much as I enjoy and appreciate the BBC’s commentary I think some of the questions can sometimes come across as a bit ‘soft’ - more like statements than anything else:

“A chance to put things right next Saturday” – yes that’s how fixture lists tend to work!
“Another good turnout by Boston fans” – always is.
“Does this defeat hurt?” – Cully’s not exactly going to say no, is he?

So what more difficult questions could be asked of the management about this ongoing run of poor away form that might get to the bottom of the inconsistency that seems to plague this bloody club every season? It seems to me we’ve swapped out one set of problems for a whole new set this season – where would I start?

- Can we afford to do hybrid justice? Sure we see the players more in training, but it seems to have come at the cost of squad depth, which is obviously lacking.

- Have we maxed out the budget? What wriggle room is there to address our obvious deficiencies? Surely some injuries have to be anticipated – we can’t just moan about a small squad, because that’s a strategic decision, not something forced on us.

- Is recruitment actually now harder because players can’t commit to the extra training?

- Without giving too much away, what is the ‘blueprint’ the club alludes to? Is it anchored to Cully himself? If he left, would it have to change or would a new manager be expected to fit around it and the existing squad?

- The u23s have done well replacing the missing, but is “done well” good enough for a club looking for promotion? Are these players better coming off the bench as part of their development rather than being relied on to start?

- Have we given up on the loan market to address holes in the squad (full disclosure: I generally hate short term loans, but longer term deals can work out well with the right scouting)?

Any more?

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn stock take
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 07:16:54 PM »
Why are we such a soft touch away from home

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 08:46:44 AM »
Being a soft touch away from home circles back to lack of options off the bench, a lack of squad depth to be able to counter teams who play different styles, and perhaps fitness too!

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
I noticed last night that we have 7 players out injured/convalescing. Hopefully things will get better when they return.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 08:22:31 PM »
I noticed last night that we have 7 players out injured/convalescing. Hopefully things will get better when they return.

And one on international duty  :)

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 08:15:05 PM »
Good post and agree with all your questions Pete. At least the Beeb interviews are a bit more aggro than Craig's videos on the YT channel but I understand in-house he can't do or say anything too negative.

Your questions would have been great at the forum the other week. Maybe email Mr Newton and see if you hear back from him? He's generally always happy to speak to fans.

You also have to remember regards the Beeb that Dale is essentially a volunteer, certainly not a full-time member of Beeb staff. I think Rob questions the best and that makes sense as he is full-time.