Author Topic: v Worksop  (Read 4580 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
v Worksop
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:33:52 PM »
We have once again been knocked out of the  FA Cup, lost 3-2.  Hopefully now Cully will start looking for a striker.

steve m

• View Profile
Re: v Worksop
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 05:47:21 PM »
Sounds pretty grim....goal and penalty given away, playing against 10 men from lower league team.....very disappointing!

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 06:17:03 PM »
Sad to say it's what we've got used to suffering over the last, gawd knows how many, years. :-[

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
Would like to hear from somebody that went for their take on the game. Have to say its a very disappointing result against a team from a lower league. How many times does this happen!!! Still its all really irrelevant compared to what happened to the fan that was taken ill in the first half. Just hope he is ok.

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 07:55:36 PM »
Hate to say it but we never looked like winning. They had more desire and wanted the game. So so disappointed, on way home with a crowd of ten and no mention of the game.  Cannot see us scoring in most gmaes , boring to watch sadly. Another crap effort before the big round draw . 

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 04:49:56 AM »
Another shot ourselves in the foot day!.. so pleased with scoring ourselves that we totally lost concentration and let them stroll through us to equalise. An extremely poor backpass to the keeper - straight to the feet of one of their strkers and a ridiculous tackle in the penalty area... meanwhile, we seem to be very shot shy with nobody willing to have a punt except from set pieces.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 08:28:20 AM »
I have waited until today to try and give a balanced view. First I wish all the best to the man taken ill and wish him a full recovery.
I can't fault the commitment of our players but, except for a few they are not upto the job. Our summer recruitment was uninspiring to say the least. Myself and several others questioned this on this site at the time. Most were fringe players from average teams. As I have posted on another thread it is well over six hours since any of our forwards have scored a goal.
Back to yesterday.  We were hustled off the ball too easily. We tried to play open football on a plastic pitch. We were beaten by a team who got their game plan right. Individual mistakes led to all three goals. With a big crowd and tight ground, I think it got to some of our young players.
A big well done to the 500+ supporters who made the journey.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
Any news on the man who was taken ill?... wishing him all the best!!

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 10:20:55 AM »
Having been told we had “ done our homework” on Worksop at the fans forum it was clear that we hadn’t or the players didn’t take it in. They had acres of space on the wings in the first half and the 33 year old Terry Hawkridge turned our defence inside out. A poor performance and worrying for the rest of the season. Gyasi came on for about 15 minutes and touched the ball twice.

Four urinals for the whole ground
The usual Boston dick heads showing for a cup game, one of whom threw a bottle on the pitch. Soon led out by stewards but I don’t think any further action was taken. He would have a banning order if he did that at Boston.

David Newton had a face like thunder at the end of the match, and seemed to be in a daze. I hope he reads the riot act to management and the team

The Lock Keeper was a great pub, lovely food and a decent pint of Pedigree. Very friendly staff.

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 01:25:57 PM »
Worksop FCs Twitter account says our fan is "in Bassetlaw Hospital, is comfortable and being looked after"

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 05:35:02 PM »
I notice Liam Hughes (Worksop's number 10) has tweeted his best wishes to our fan who was taken unwell. Echos what we're all thinking, but well done to him for actually doing so.

I don't think any of our own players have done likewise. Surely it wouldn't have gone amiss for our players to put something up for themselves along similar lines? Especially after Ian Culverhouse promised only on Thursday that he'd get the player's to acknowledge our support?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »
The usual Boston dick heads showing for a cup game, one of whom threw a bottle on the pitch. Soon led out by stewards but I don’t think any further action was taken. He would have a banning order if he did that at Boston.

The away day regulars are extremely well-behaved - I mean, they have to be as else BUSA or Newton would quickly identify them and have words or worse.

The problem is these one-off games when you see a load of unfamiliar faces acting up. Happened in the two Rochdale games and the play-off final at York when I saw loads of kids I'd never seen before spending the entire game more interested in goading York fans than watching the game, all while we knew plenty of more deserving fans who'd been unable to get a ticket and were stuck at home. It's annoying but it'll happen every time Boston have a "big" game.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 10:05:32 AM »

David Newton had a face like thunder at the end of the match, and seemed to be in a daze. I hope he reads the riot act to management and the team

Well its his show, he dictates the budget, appoints the managers and implements hybrid training. Its now time to ask questions because this happens far too often under his watch.

And before the usual "be grateful you still have a club to support" mob pipe up yes, I am grateful to have a club to support but he's not immune from criticism as it seems its he who has the final say on everything. The club seems to have slipped into a torpor of mediocrity, a 'Happy just to be here' attitude stinks the place out.

Saturday exposed the team as lacking leaders, lacking strength and lacking the bottle needed to overcome a physical but limited opponent. Team selection is Cully's department, but if this is the best the budget allows then its back to the board.

We were told in no uncertain terms the new ground would be a game changer; as far as I can see its just a case of The Emperors New Clothes. 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »
Well the ground has been a game changer financially, insofar as we're not being propped up by the Chestnuts (as much) - a completely unsustainable position that really made us no better than clubs like Fylde, who you consistently rail against on Twitter as being a hobby club. Why were we much different at York Street? Prior to the ground move and without their support, we would probably find ourselves outspent by Boston Town.

As for "it's now time to ask questions", there was a forum on Thursday night where you could do precisely that and you opted not to go.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 10:24:00 AM by Pete B »

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 01:27:24 PM »
Well the ground has been a game changer financially, insofar as we're not being propped up by the Chestnuts (as much) - a completely unsustainable position that really made us no better than clubs like Fylde, who you consistently rail against on Twitter as being a hobby club. Why were we much different at York Street? Prior to the ground move and without their support, we would probably find ourselves outspent by Boston Town.

As for "it's now time to ask questions", there was a forum on Thursday night where you could do precisely that and you opted not to go.

pointless asking those kind of questions, you and I both know you'll get shouted down by the happy clappers, the self same people that welcomed Evans and co with open arms.

I long ago gave up on forums, its nothing more that a back slapping exercise lapped up by the masses who accept every last word uttered by the club as gospel.