Author Topic: Under 23s  (Read 3143 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Under 23s
« on: September 15, 2023, 08:42:38 AM »
Can anyone explain what the under23s team is all about? This is a genuine request as they don't seem to play any games, and when I hear the management team say we have a small first team squad it appears that although this is a so called route through to the first team they are not considered a part of the first team squad. Obviously there is a financial cost and I wonder if this could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad.
This is not meant to be devisive or controversial and I do want to see the youngsters having the chance to progress their careers, I am just hoping somebody can clarify where all this fits into the club progressing on the field. UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Under 23s
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:26:23 AM »
I'll be honest Mel, I don't know. And it's funny because I've heard the exact opposite in interviews - that they ARE considered part of the first team! Right now it all seems a bit muddled but it's a new system and new approach and hopefully there'll be more clarity on it as time progresses.

The only thing I'd add is that if I had a choice between bringing in an u23 who's been training with the first team and knows Cully and Joe's tactics, or some random kid from Harrogate on a 4 week loan deal, I'm going with the u23 every time. So I understand how it's meant to work from that perspective, it's just that right now we don't seem to have the numbers to make it make sense. Not enough u23s to play u23 games, and the ones we do have are basically playing for the first team because that squad's too small as well.

Again, I like the idea of the system and I also don't want to sound negative - as injuries ease perhaps we'll see more of how it was initially envisioned to work?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:28:03 AM »
It's a mystery :-\ :-\
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 07:47:50 PM »
31st August the U23's played a friendly away at Notts County and won 0 - 2.
United we stand..................

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 11:06:14 PM »
You've probably seen this but Joe talks about the U23s in this video - https://youtu.be/wJGINNPoCJY?si=ctlLSuvljWHGLiab

I thought the idea was that they support the first team and aren't in any set league, they just play ad-hoc fixtures throughout the year where the team will be a mix of U23s, academy and maybe some first team.

It seems a little odd but Joe says in the video it's new and adaptable.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 08:46:11 AM »
This is only the start of the U23s. Going forwward they'll be incorporating more of the U19s at the end of each season, when the players are too old for the youth competitions - whereas before they would need to either be fully signed up or released.

I imagine eventually we'll partner up with local step 5 sides to allow dual-registration and give them competitive games - but they'll still train with the first team. Jake Lovelace, the keeper, already plays on most Saturdays for Skegness Town (as he did last season too).
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 10:26:58 AM »
You've probably seen this but Joe talks about the U23s in this video - https://youtu.be/wJGINNPoCJY?si=ctlLSuvljWHGLiab

I thought the idea was that they support the first team and aren't in any set league, they just play ad-hoc fixtures throughout the year where the team will be a mix of U23s, academy and maybe some first team.

It seems a little odd but Joe says in the video it's new and adaptable.

Thank you for that it certainly clears up a few of my doubts about the situation which is what I was seeking. How impressive is Joe as a comunicator clearly a name for the future in coaching and management.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 07:45:05 PM »
Huge fan of Joe! He's got a big future in the game and hopefully it's with us.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 09:54:25 AM »
Funding at a guess

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 09:38:04 PM »
The U23s are playing a friendly at Boston Town this Tuesday evening. Kick off 7.30pm
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/