Author Topic: Darlington (A)  (Read 3177 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Darlington (A)
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
Safe travels to those making the journey tonight! As for the rest of us, who's streaming?

Bit worried about this one. For all the late drama on Saturday by all accounts we were well off the pace in the first half and Darlington are fighting for their lives. A couple of quick goals would help settle the nerves!

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Darlington (A)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 08:06:26 PM »
Yep streaming for me too been good so far

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »
Also streaming and I have to say that with a patched up team it was an excellent point. Have serious doubts about the nearside linesman but thought the young ref did well. Zac outstanding again and all in all a good performance all round . UTP.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 09:58:54 PM »
Overall a very poor game in terms of entertainment, but as you say Mel a good point and in a place we never normally travel well!

Nearside linesman made a few questionable calls - couldn't work out why he flagged our goal offside? Apparently his dad was there watching him, and is a Darlington fan! Make of that what you will.

Agree the ref was generally excellent considering how young he is.

Not a brilliant's night entertainment but onwards to Alfreton...

Bazzer70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 10:14:26 PM »
Watched the live stream and enjoyed it. Thought we did OK with a patched up side. Zac Mills deserves to be captain full time, leads by example and kept things together tonight. A good point though I couldn't see why our goal was disallowed. For Darlington I thought Tom Platt had his usual quiet but efficient game and kept a check on our midfield.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »
An ok point away from home. Good to keep a clean sheet with a makeshift defense. Played ok without a cutting edge. Mills excellent again motm.

Btw for those not making the trip to alferton Saturday's match is on national League tv also due to international break.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:53:49 AM by Lee Newell »

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 08:42:52 AM »
It could and should be so much better, Darlo are  bottom and we've dropped a couple of points, Bishops Stortford are bottom 4 and we lost to them. Silly points dropped to poor sides will cost us dear in the long run.

I can't get carried away by a slightly better than average start, there's been good results against Blyth and South Shields but there's no hiding from the feeling it should be better.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
A legitimate goal chalked off, robbed of the 3 points
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 09:25:02 AM »
It could and should be so much better, Darlo are  bottom and we've dropped a couple of points, Bishops Stortford are bottom 4 and we lost to them. Silly points dropped to poor sides will cost us dear in the long run.

I can't get carried away by a slightly better than average start, there's been good results against Blyth and South Shields but there's no hiding from the feeling it should be better.

I wouldn't stress it. Barring some disaster with the ground, Scunny will have the division wrapped up with weeks to spare so it's all about momentum going into the playoffs anyway.

And that's not defeatism: just acknowledging the reality that Scunny have a squad like none other in the division and are by all accounts getting better with every game.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 10:34:56 AM »
Saturday will be interesting just to see where we are. Good luck boys!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 01:07:17 PM »
Having been at my first away game of the season and standing behind the goal, I've idea if it was offside or not. I thought we did well against a side that played increasingly direct as the game went on and as we played better passing football in the second half. It brought to mind that ghastly game at Kettering last season where we managed to lose after being 2-0 up and under a similar high ball into the area barrage as last night (I left that game as depressed about BUFC as I've ever been). That we didn't give way at Darlo is, I believe, a significant step in the right direction. Mills was excellent leading the side, and I thought Tom Edge did really well alongside him. He was composed and played some good balls out from the back. Tyler Knowles was involved going forward.

I am encouraged by the side. I believe that both club and team are progressing in the right direction under sensible leadership. Unlike some, my main concern is not necessarily getting out of this league asap (and I imagine that Pete is right about Scunny over the season). A complete re-set like this won't necessarily produce success immediately, but it's all very different to this time last year and much more enjoyable. I respect that fact that Cully wants to play a particular way. Progress is, I believe, being made.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 01:31:03 PM »
It was definitely not offside - there's an angle on Twitter that shows it quite clearly, it seems to me that the linesman thought it was Tom Edge who put the ball in after returning from an offside position, so an error on his part. Hey ho.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 02:08:49 PM »
It was definitely not offside - there's an angle on Twitter that shows it quite clearly, it seems to me that the linesman thought it was Tom Edge who put the ball in after returning from an offside position, so an error on his part. Hey ho.

Darlington are one of those sides with which we seem to not have the rub of the green.  Remember when we had to replay a game which was abandoned, when two nil up and a few minutes left.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 06:13:17 PM »
https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/club-statement-alun-armstrong-and-darren-holloway

And now the Darlo manager has been relieved of his duties.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 08:56:15 PM »
Having been at my first away game of the season and standing behind the goal, I've idea if it was offside or not. I thought we did well against a side that played increasingly direct as the game went on and as we played better passing football in the second half. It brought to mind that ghastly game at Kettering last season where we managed to lose after being 2-0 up and under a similar high ball into the area barrage as last night (I left that game as depressed about BUFC as I've ever been). That we didn't give way at Darlo is, I believe, a significant step in the right direction. Mills was excellent leading the side, and I thought Tom Edge did really well alongside him. He was composed and played some good balls out from the back. Tyler Knowles was involved going forward.

I am encouraged by the side. I believe that both club and team are progressing in the right direction under sensible leadership. Unlike some, my main concern is not necessarily getting out of this league asap (and I imagine that Pete is right about Scunny over the season). A complete re-set like this won't necessarily produce success immediately, but it's all very different to this time last year and much more enjoyable. I respect that fact that Cully wants to play a particular way. Progress is, I believe, being made.

Good post!
United we stand..................