Author Topic: Bishop Stortford  (Read 5441 times)

wismo

• View Profile
Bishop Stortford
« on: August 28, 2023, 05:11:20 PM »
Great away support, very friendly locals
But no real chances, no real passages of passing, possession play. Disappointing performance. They’ve only scores 4 goals in 6 games

Grrr!!

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Stortford
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
It's been said many times already this season, we need a out-and-out striker in the mould of Danny Elliott or Billy Chadwick.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 08:44:10 PM »
The Knowles effort cleared off the line was certainly a chance and one of the only times we played some good football in the build up.

Agree generally though, disappointing overall.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 10:01:47 PM »
They got us near the end with a good delivery from the free kick which was well finished. A shame really as I thought we'd done enough to deserve at least a point. There were a lot of tired legs out there towards the end of the match. Just before the goal I thought we had a good spell with Knowles nearly scoring which was cleared off the line and the subs of Ward and Gyasi having a bit more energy and pressing them in the final third but it was Stortford who found the winner.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 08:43:37 AM »
It was always going to be hard to reproduce Saturday's excellent performance.  We huffed and puffed and couldn't seem to get any momentum going. I think on yesterday's performance we need a couple of players who we could bring on in that type of game. I enjoyed the day out and must say our support was fantastic.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
Could and should have had a draw at least. After Saturdays great win some of the the lads were just not on it and though I don't like singling anyone out for citicism I have to say Gyasi is a liability there has to be better choices in the youth team never mind the under 23s. However on to Saturday and hopefully back to the home form shown recently as apart from the result we had another cracking away day on Micks party coach.  UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 12:17:00 PM »
Agree Mel. Hate to say but sadly Gyasi is miles off it - sooner we get rid the better.

Overall I thought we were okay, 0-0 would have been fine. Just one of those games I suppose.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 04:17:08 PM »
They got us near the end with a good delivery from the free kick which was well finished. A shame really as I thought we'd done enough to deserve at least a point. There were a lot of tired legs out there towards the end of the match. Just before the goal I thought we had a good spell with Knowles nearly scoring which was cleared off the line and the subs of Ward and Gyasi having a bit more energy and pressing them in the final third but it was Stortford who found the winner.

a lot of tired legs......

We're basically full time Lee, that excuse really doesn't wash. It was a poor performance and one indicative of a team that won't challenge for the top spot.........play offs possibly but on that showing it'll be another season in this league next year. A shame as I'd heard nothing but good things about Saturday's performance.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »
Could and should have had a draw at least. After Saturdays great win some of the the lads were just not on it and though I don't like singling anyone out for citicism I have to say Gyasi is a liability there has to be better choices in the youth team never mind the under 23s. However on to Saturday and hopefully back to the home form shown recently as apart from the result we had another cracking away day on Micks party coach.  UTP

Totally agree, if Gyasi gets a game I want one too, a terrible performance that cost us two points.

Also the party bus is the way to go, a great day out ruined by an inept 90 minutes.

having agreed with you twice I'm now going to sign off for a few weeks.........

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 04:45:56 PM »
Part of me wonders if being "hybrid" rather then properly full time is actually detrimental to match fitness? Tamworth were easily our equals in terms of fitness towards the end of that defeat, and Stortford finished stronger yesterday too.

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 05:39:02 PM »
Rather disappointing.
It was looking like the Buxton game - not great in the first half, but the second was an improvement, till they nicked it.
A draw would have been a fair result - of course it would have been a good result if we had pinched it at the end.
I was also going to add Gyasi must go, but everyone else beat me to it!
If he was that bad at Kings Lynn, why did Chesterfield give him a contract and why on earth did our manager give him a second chance ? he must have shown some sort of ability somewhere along the line ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 08:15:58 PM »
It's been said many times already this season, we need a out-and-out striker in the mould of Danny Elliott or Billy Chadwick.

Billy Chadwick is not an out-and-out striker.

Part of me wonders if being "hybrid" rather then properly full time is actually detrimental to match fitness? Tamworth were easily our equals in terms of fitness towards the end of that defeat, and Stortford finished stronger yesterday too.

I think the extra training session that we get should be aiding recovery methods after a weekend match (I would think recovery, coaching and "match planning" could be the 3-day training plan?). Maybe a midweek game came too soon, and we hadn't adapted to the turnaround. The same with yesterday... something we'll need to learn quick.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:18:35 PM by Pilgrim86 »
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 11:22:21 PM »
Personally, I don't like players being singled out for having a poor game, i don't think it's in the best interest of club or player concerned, just my opinion.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »
Good comment WP and completely agree.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 11:43:59 AM »
I think it's fine to criticise players occasionally as long as it's reasonable and doesn't degenerate into unnecessary abuse*. Football is a game of opinions after all, and not all of them can be good ones.

(* Yes I'm aware I upset a player last season by calling Boston United "dogsh1t" but at the time we really were, and he was a big reason why!)