Author Topic: Tamworth (H)  (Read 2821 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Tamworth (H)
« on: August 15, 2023, 10:11:11 PM »
Ah, good to have football back!

Got exactly what we deserved - came roaring out the traps and played some genuinely lovely stuff for the first half an hour but for all our possession we barely gave Jaz Singh a thing to do. And then Tamworth clearly shifted things around a bit, started pressing us a little better and it was all downhill from there - they deserved the three points.

I'm already a bit worried by the lack of a Plan B - there didn't seem to be much on the subs bench that was likely to change the dynamic of the game. And I'm already sick of hearing about our "small squad". We've had an entire summer to prepare for the new season so for the management to keep reminding us how small the squad is doesn't sit well. Your job is to ensure we have options, so crack on and get on it!

Positives? Excellent attendance, and that first half hour/40 mins we really were playing some excellent passing football. But 30 mins of decent footy isn't going to pass muster.

Onwards to Southport, who've had a shocking start so hopefully will be desperately low on confidence and a good way to bounce back.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tamworth (H)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 10:36:19 PM »
A bit disappointing after Saturday. The front 2 did well Saturday but Mooney being ill did miss him today, with Knowles having a lot to do as the only striker, not as effective on his own. Gyasi not fit enough to play 90 mins or does Culverhouse not fancy him from the start? Certainly highlights the lack of depth with having to change formation when one of the front 2 are out with illness. 

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 07:31:31 AM »
Beaten by the (much) better side...like Saturday we faded in the second half. Tamworth looked far fitter and able to change their play - we had nobody to change the game and looked lost in the second half, when passes that had been accurate in the first half repeatedly went astray.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 08:14:15 AM »
I thought Nicholson started really brightly too but after a couple of crosses didn't find their man he started to withdraw into himself and faded badly after that - bit like the team as a whole.

Have to say I thought Tamworth were nothing special as a whole - i.e. as good as they were last night I didn't think I was watching a title contending side - but they had one or two very handy players and that seemed to be enough to overwhelm us in the second half, which is a bit concerning. And like someone said above, their fitness was incredible, whereas I thought we were supposed to have the edge now against a part time outfit!

Bazzer70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 10:56:37 AM »
Agree with a above, first 25 minutes we looked table toppers but faded away badly. Once they twigged the diagonal ball to Nicholson and blocked his forward progress we lost our way, all he could do was receive the ball and pass back to midfield and after all Tamworth didn't come to give us three points.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 11:20:26 AM »
Disappointed in last night's performance is an understatement. Thought we totally outplayed them for the first 25 minutes. I said to my mate that these missed chances could come back to bite us. All momentum seemed to vanish after the silly handball incident and booking. I have said before, we need a striker and midfield enforcer. Also think Bostwick has had two poor games on the trot. Tamworth deserved to win, but both goals had an element of luck to them. They are only a young team and I'm sure they will learn from last night.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 08:58:34 PM »
As everyone has already said, a really great start but after failing to find the net faded disappointingly and Tamworth took over. looking a fair side. With one striker missing, we looked lightweight up front. Until Wilson steps up to provide a viable option, we are going to need to find a reliable goalscorer - but of course easier said than done! We need to get back on track with a win at Southport and with their current poor form if we don't get it we will once again be falling behind the early pacesetters.