Author Topic: South Stand  (Read 5936 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: South Stand
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2023, 01:34:43 PM »
Honestly I share your frustration - but I don't share your pessimism about the future. Yes I know it seems we're always talking about the future rather than the present I but genuinely believe with a completed stadium we wouldn't just survive in the NL, we could thrive. Obviously a good cup run can accelerate the process!

So for getting there, we still don't know what this season holds - Kiddy were bang average for much of it and look what happened... (and York the season before, but I try not to talk about that).

Its more an acceptance than pessimism that while David is in charge the conservative approach will always hold us back. Its not a criticism, its an observation, you don't have to mortgage the clubs future to one season, but a little more bravery budget wise could open the door to the promotion the club needs to get out of this rut of mediocrity. 

Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2023, 07:00:08 PM »
Have we all forgotten that we made back-to-back (either side of the abandoned season) play-off finals before last season’s dud campaign? People speak as though we’re a million miles away but over the last 13 years we’ve repeatedly made the play-offs and multiple managers have proven that can be achieved on the resources provided by the club.

Those resources are only growing thanks to the new ground so I find it hard to accuse the board of allowing the club to drift. David Newton didn’t commit the goalkeeping howler against Altrincham, Chris Cook didn’t throw away the first leg lead at North Ferriby and Neil Kempster didn’t miss a penalty against Guiseley. Only two teams can be promoted and eventually we’ll have our day. The board can’t guarantee we’ll win any given game. They can give a manager the means to build a team capable of winning promotion, and I think they do, given we’ve twice been 90 minutes away from going up.

I’d have preferred a bigger end terrace but as has been pointed out, we had to move anyway and could well have ended up with a tinpot ground given the club didn’t have any assets or money. The main stand, the pitch, the floodlights, the concourses with the nods to our history, the 5G facility… the club’s got a brilliant new ground all things considered, and after 2007 I am still thankful just to have a Boston United who I can watch lose 3-1 to Bamble Warriors on a nippy Saturday in February.

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2023, 09:11:16 PM »
Welcome back everyone. Tricky times again. DN is above criticism in my opinion. But that does NOT mean naughty forties is smug or misguided. Since we were relegated from the EFL in 2007 we have not played a single season in the Conference National. You can dress that up anyway you like. For the umpteenth time, even after 3 games, we won't get relegated and we won't get promoted. Southport away on Saturday is very informative. They are in a mess, if we can't beat them now.....? Mind you, it can't be worse than AM's  seasonal debut a few seasons ago when we lost 4-0 and Gregg Smith was sent off about 15 minutes after coming onto the pitch[I was there].

UTP

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2023, 10:04:03 PM »
15th season st this level since 2007
In the previous 13 completed seasons, we haven't finished within ten points of the winner and haven't been in the title race seriously beyond about February.
Best way to avoid these playoff hard luck stories is to win it. We've never even gone close over a full season

Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2023, 08:17:46 PM »
Why some of you lot constantly moaning even bother to support our club gets my back up. If you went to work everyday with your attitude wouldn’t you think about leaving

Either get behind the club and chairman or go somewhere else

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »
Why some of you lot constantly moaning even bother to support our club gets my back up. If you went to work everyday with your attitude wouldn’t you think about leaving

Either get behind the club and chairman or go somewhere else

I see you are fairly new to this site Wayne.  This site is renowned for constructive comment.  Many a time we have all disagreed with each others opinions.

But we all support the club, we all pay our hard earned cash out to do this.  This gives us a right to have an opinion.  No one on this site calls individual players, we all thank and admire our chairman.

We are all behind the club and chairman.  I respect your comment, even if I personally find it an affront to the genuine supporters on this site. I personally shall continue to give constructive comments, and I am going nowhere.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2023, 12:17:40 PM »
I think if you were to poll Boston fans you'd find as a fanbase we were probably the most behind our board than pretty much every club in the country.

Even when things are going terribly and everyone's moaning, nobody to my knowledge has ever turned against the two chairmen! And rightly so. We will miss them terribly then they've gone. I hope they never leave!

Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2023, 01:21:55 PM »
Thank you for the last 2 posts
I may be new to this forum but have been a supporter since the early 70s
I agree we all have our moans at times but there are the odd few that do absolutely nothing but and it’s not always constructive

Thanks again I will go back to sleep now 👍

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »
Whilst I grow as agitated as anyone at another year at this level (at least looking Scunthorpe’s summer and start to the season means that a title tilt would be a huge ask), the league above is hugely different to the one when we were last in it.

I’m also of the belief that whilst we have a rich history (or at least the 1970s at the top of the non league game and the 1980s of being in the top tier but not necessarily challenging for honours) we have only been in National League national level for 2 of the last 30 years. I think that’s the reality we have to live with before thinking we should be challenging for the title in this league

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2023, 02:32:24 PM »
I think if you were to poll Boston fans you'd find as a fanbase we were probably the most behind our board than pretty much every club in the country.

Even when things are going terribly and everyone's moaning, nobody to my knowledge has ever turned against the two chairmen! And rightly so. We will miss them terribly then they've gone. I hope they never leave!

I wouldn't want to change him and Neil for the world.

Doesn't mean they aren't beyond question though........

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2023, 04:03:16 PM »
Doesn't mean they aren't beyond question though........

No, I agree! They've clearly made mistakes (Graham Drury, Paul Cox etc) but I find Newton does admit when things haven't quite gone to plan and every decision is made thoughtfully and with what's right for the club at the heart of every decision, even when it means annoying people. And there are very few people like that in football.