Author Topic: South Stand  (Read 5938 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
South Stand
« on: August 14, 2023, 11:54:35 AM »
Excellent interview with David Newton on Endeavour FM.  Among other things, he talked about the lack of progress with the south stand.  He said he has had to find new architects due to the original ones going under.  He also talked about the cost being four million.  He sounded frustrated, but optimistic that it will happen.  He says it needs to happen to fit in with the business plan.  If anyone can put the link up please.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: South Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 12:18:16 PM »
I'm absolutely not surprised at the original architects going under, the total bodge job of both terraces stinks of a planner with no concept of what its actually like to stand on a terrace. Both start below pitch level, if both had been elevated a foot or so the viewing sightlines would have been much improved. I stated that at the evening the plans were on display and was shouted down by the architect, he stated the ground would be a 'mini Proact'.......its absolutely nothing like the Proact which is a well designed stadium fit for the The FL with excellent viewing angles.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 01:03:27 PM »
Excellent interview with David Newton on Endeavour FM.  Among other things, he talked about the lack of progress with the south stand.  He said he has had to find new architects due to the original ones going under.  He also talked about the cost being four million.  He sounded frustrated, but optimistic that it will happen.  He says it needs to happen to fit in with the business plan.  If anyone can put the link up please.

Here's the link Dipdodah https://www.mixcloud.com/Endeavour_Radio/efm-sport-in-case-you-missed-it/

Four million, a lot of money! Two million which was originally mentioned a couple of years ago seemed a lot, crazy how some construction costs have increased. I'm sure DN will do all he can to find the money and get the stadium completed, certainly comes across as the kind of man that wouldn't want to leave when his time as chairman is done without fully completing the stadium. Opposition fans seem to be full of praise of the new stadium being very good for the level with the negative comments generally only stating the obvious that the 4th stand not built. As Boston fans we compare to YS and where we were spoilt with the height of the terraces, particularly the Town End offered and excellent view. When standing in JCS hard not to compare to YS Town End sometimes but still much better than most clubs at our level offer, I remember standing in Kings Lynn away end on new years day thinking we might complain about North Stand view but it's much better view than we were given at Lynn and I should think most grounds at this level. Great that DN has backed the manager and moved to the hybrid model to give us a chance of doing better on the pitch.   

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »
I'm absolutely not surprised at the original architects going under, the total bodge job of both terraces stinks of a planner with no concept of what its actually like to stand on a terrace. Both start below pitch level, if both had been elevated a foot or so the viewing sightlines would have been much improved. I stated that at the evening the plans were on display and was shouted down by the architect, he stated the ground would be a 'mini Proact'.......its absolutely nothing like the Proact which is a well designed stadium fit for the The FL with excellent viewing angles.

My brother in law and I have moved across to the West stand.  The viewing in the East stand is very poor.  You are right concerning the levels. We were spoilt at YS.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 01:41:48 PM »

The pitch is elevated for drainage purposes. Think of it as a price to pay for getting games on that would've been called off at YS.

I know I disagree with you a lot re. the new ground but I have to say standing on the terrace is nothing like as good as it was York Street and the overall experience is pretty poor. The West Stand, on the other hand, is excellent.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 04:47:16 PM »

The pitch is elevated for drainage purposes. Think of it as a price to pay for getting games on that would've been called off at YS.

I know I disagree with you a lot re. the new ground but I have to say standing on the terrace is nothing like as good as it was York Street and the overall experience is pretty poor. The West Stand, on the other hand, is excellent.

Absolutely, the Main Stand is comparable with anything in the bottom 2 divisions of the EFL. However its not perfect, you cannot segregate it for big games, another massive cock up by the architects and one often overlooked.

And a crap view as a trade off for the odd game being lost to the weather.......nah, other new builds overcame that problem, its just poor design, pure and simple.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 05:54:09 PM »
Four million, a lot of money! Two million which was originally mentioned a couple of years ago seemed a lot, crazy how some construction costs have increased.

The design has changed since we moved in - now plans for a 2nd supporters' bar plus some of the terrace has now been changed to 100 seats for away fans. Wouldn't cater for the extra £2m, but would be some of it.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 06:06:41 PM »
We stand in the East stand nearish the half way line. I don't have a problem with the viewing level
as much as when fullish it is difficult to weave your way through other fans to get to where we stand.
There should have been a passageway, maybe at the back of the terrace, to move from the entrance to the other end.
As others have commented, let's hope the new architects have much more understanding of football ground design.
But I have yet to see any other grounds that can match the West stand.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 07:30:58 PM »
I can’t really believe what I’m reading. I still shake my head in disbelief every time I come to the stadium at what we actually have (I attended YS for 50 years+ and it ended up a dive for many years). My biggest problem is the wait for a pint! Apart from that imo it’s brilliant! Thank you!

copper89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 08:03:09 PM »
I can remember standing at York Street for the meeting where it looked like we were losing our club. On that we can only have dreamed we would be in the position we are now. That is down to David Newton and his vision. Never forget that when we are tempted to grumble about certain aspects of the new stadium which some people don't like. There's always things we can nitpick about but things could have been far far worse.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 08:22:19 PM »
Totally agree. I was there too. It was desperate. Now look what we have…

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »
I was also in attendance at that meeting on Father's Day when we looked like losing our club altogether, i think we should be thankful instead of moaning and thank everyone who made it possible for us to watch the matches in such a wonderful stadium, it could have been very different had the chairman had not stepped in to save the club. I say thank you and when the south stand gets completed it will be fantastic.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 12:30:34 AM »
Can't believe how some on here always need to have a moan about something.  Most supporters I have spoken to are very pleased with the stadium and thankful to the Chairman for making it happen.  Please be happy, life is too short to be miserable.
United we stand..................

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2023, 08:12:30 AM »
Bin off the sports hall in the south stand. Build all that at the North end and take up a few car park spaces
Build a proper terrace with all that space at the southern end and then turn the current north stand onto the away end

And a good point about the main stand, the concourses and turnstiles need to be redesigned so that it can be split up like what we see at kidderminster or chester where a small section of a stand is given to away fans, as opposed to us having to give up nearly half of it

Honestly, since the go ahea din 2014, it's such a clusterfvck this ground. 9 years. Still not finished, a pretty poor experience unless you sit down, and costs spiraling massively.
Flid got that ground done about the same time, for about the same money as us and apart from their main stand having a roof too high, it's miles better
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 08:16:05 AM by joshb »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »
The foundations are already in for the south stand, so a complete redesign is not possible now unless you start from scratch. The most recent redesign was done under those conditions so if you compare the old plans to the new you can see not much changed internally - just the use of the space was revised, i.e. the addition of a new bar Scotty alluded to above.

The redesign also incorporates seating, so there's no need to make any alterations to the Main Stand in terms of segregation. Any substantial reconfiguration of that stand would cost an absolute fortune and and simply ain't happening anyway.

My issue with the East Stand is that when it's busy it's awkward to move along the terrace if you've just nipped for a pie or the bog - it can feel very cramped. In fairness, much of this is down to the stand having been divided up to accommodate away fans - once there are two entrances and everyone's not bunched up against the sheeting a lot of the complaints will naturally melt away.

I've not stood on the Town End but I know a lot of the complaints there are due to the fact the terrace isn't high enough to see over the goal. My response to that would be they were spoiled by the Town End, a terrace designed by people who had great ambitions for United's attendances that were not borne out by reality. It's was largely empty for 99% of its life. Rebuilding the stand to current safety standards would've been a folly, although I agree it wouldn't have hurt to add a couple of extra rows on the top of the ones they already added after the fan consultation.

Fact is, attendances are up by a fair whack and the vast majority of fans absolutely love the new place. I know I do. Is it 100% perfect? No - and whoever designed it there'd have been something people would have found to moan about. But I'm impressed how the fanbase has adopted it after York Street, a complete one-off type stadium you'll never see built again. Would love to be there tonight for a game under the lights alas I'll be watching from afar via the stream!

UTP
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 09:01:20 AM by Pete B »