Author Topic: South shields  (Read 2930 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
South shields
« on: August 13, 2023, 10:45:35 AM »
Good all round performance yesterday against a team on a high. Goals were taken well. A result on Tuesday and we have the perfect springboard to go forward.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
Re: South shields
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 11:32:07 AM »
Impressive first half, I’m a bit “jury’s out” on the second half. But if we go 3 up and get a win every week then I’ll be more than happy to be watching “first half” football!

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 11:38:04 AM »
Best 45 minutes I’ve seen from BUFC for a long time.  To be fair both we’re playing great stuff great work rate.  Second half was always going to be like that I felt. But great result and performance.  Decent ref as well didn’t notice him at all.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
Very encouraging given that it’s still early days for the new team. Fitness levels also looked good.

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 01:05:13 PM »
Excellent first half performance, played some real good stuff against a very good side. Second half was always going to be a bit of an anti-climax, no team ever dominates a game for 90 mins. Hope we can carry this on to Tuesday night now

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 04:15:49 PM »
the third goal was an absolute beauty......onwards and upwards

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 08:06:14 PM »
the third goal was an absolute beauty......onwards and upwards

As the cross came in I moaned "who the hell's that to?" I've become a legend in my own lifetime!

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 10:13:26 PM »
Really solid first half, against good opposition who wont be far off the pace at the end of the season. Couple of cracking goals. We will also need to be on our game against Tamworth, who are likely to give us va stiff test.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 11:50:18 AM »
Really solid first half, against good opposition who won't be far off the pace at the end of the season. Couple of cracking goals. We will also need to be on our game against Tamworth, who are likely to give us va stiff test.

I wasn’t able to get over to Boston on Saturday but was interested to see how many of the South Shields line-up remained from their NPL Championship-winning side of last season.

I went to see them play twice last season when they were local to me (at Atherton Collieries & Warrington Rylands) and, comparing their team on Saturday to those two games, there were 9 from last season in the matchday squad at the JCC. 6 starters (inc. the goalkeeper) and 3 on the bench (2 came on).

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 01:15:39 PM »
Good performance. What I was most surprised and pleased about was how well the team appears to have come together and gel as a team so quickly, Mills the only outfield player that started that was here last season so a team that are new to each other. I guess that's a benefit of the hybrid model with more training time that we can see on the pitch already. Successful teams have a good balance, particularly in the midfield area, which we look to have in our midfield with the experience of Woods with the energy of Richards alongside him covers the pitch and reads the game well, South Sheilds who looked to want to play football and have some quality these 2 did a good job of mostly stopping them with Martin have a slightly more advanced creative role (with a good assist to pick out Ward and what a volley that was) with Ward joining the front 2 a doing an excellent pressing job which worked to prevent South Sheilds when they wanted to play out from the back. Mills and Leak stood out, Mills getting forward in the first half which we need the full backs to do when using the diamond formation and Leak very solid at the back, Bostwick the big name signing but Leak was just as good on Saturday.