Author Topic: The Craig Elliott Hyper Grudge Match - Buxton (A)  (Read 4594 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
The Craig Elliott Hyper Grudge Match - Buxton (A)
« on: August 03, 2023, 10:29:01 PM »
I'll be axe throwing in Liverpool so I won't be able to even give this one a listen but safe travels to those venturing up to Derbyshire and I hope the weather is kind for you.

I've gone for a draw in Ken's prediction league mainly because based on pre-season I've absolutely no idea how good we are so I'm hedging my bets!

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Craig Elliott Hyper Grudge Match - Buxton (A)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 12:02:03 AM »
I don't expect this game to live up to the pre-match hype and given the forecast wet and cold day will be very happy with a draw and deliriously happy with a win.   
United we stand..................

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »
Having been to three pre-season friendlies, I too have little idea what to expect this season until we have faced decent oppos at our level in a competitive game. So we should be a bit wiser after tomorrow. Let's hope it is not spoilt by the weather. A draw would be OK, a win would be brilliant. Let's get behind the lads!

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 09:59:46 PM »
Agree with all the above!

birstallpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 07:18:56 PM »
First half was none too encouraging, though we did defend well. Much better in the second half and thoroughly deserved the late equalizer after Burrows (typical !) scored the opener against the run of play. Overall a pretty decent performance, against good opponents. Let's hope we can follow it up with a win on Saturday.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
First half thought we defended very well but niether team showed much going forward so it was a tad frustrating however, we were certainly getting on top in the second half when they broke and scored. Cully then changed things and we went on the front foot putting them under pressure and prompting Elliott to replace his best attackers with defenders (typical) and what a transformation, when we do go on the front foot this team look so diferrent just as we did against Grimsby. Just a quick word about young Wilson, He looks so composed when he comes on and makes space for others i really do feel he is one for the future. All in all very please with the performance and I can see that squad developing in to a very good outfit.  UTP.

Ps  Was pleased to present Josh Butler with his momento for winning the prediction league on here last season, well done Josh, and come on everyone keep predicting and win that prize this season.   

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »
Not a bad assessment Mel, I agree with most of it.

After thirty five minutes of not very entertaining football, I feared the worst. I think Shiels having to go off had a bearing on the game.

Second half we came into it a bit more, but Burrows was free on the edge of the area and took his goal very well.  He celebrated like he had won the World cup ( what was that all about?)

We huffed and puffed but their big defenders won every high ball with ease.  We are lacking a Platt type player in midfield to compliment the excellent Woods. A twenty a season forward would not go amiss either.  Bostwick was sublime in defence.  If either of these two get injured, we will have a problem.  I have never been so cold in August, so left after two minutes of injury time to beat the traffic.  You guessed it, I missed our goal. Grrrr.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
I took a few snaps at the game. I've bunged them on a public Facebook photo album which you may be able to access here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10161180967044282

I'm a bit rusty with my camera and I stayed under cover in the away terrace so it's all from one viewpoint. Think I got a few half decent shots, just got to work out who all these new players are.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 08:00:57 PM »
Had a go at doing a Public Flickr Album. A bit more faff than Facebook or Twitter X. Hopefully you can find it here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAQgVo

Sorry for the lack of fan photos, but the only place I could stay dry was in the covered stand with all the other Boston fans.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 10:15:05 PM by Ken Fox »

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 09:48:36 PM »
After searching the web I found this video showing highlights of the match. Not the best coverage.
                                 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SklYRZiLSk

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »
Buxton posted their official highlights yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jjoCR3vsj0

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 08:45:30 AM »
Did anyone watch the match live via the streaming platform?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »
Did anyone watch the match live via the streaming platform?

Most Saturday 3pm matches aren't on it because of UEFA rules.  Next week's tuesday night match should be the first one this season for us, then bank hol Monday.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 09:45:29 AM »
I think the only Saturday games that'll be available are international breaks? Looking forward to seeing how the streaming works out next Tuesday.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »
I was talking to a guy who said he saw the match.  But he has got one of those firestick thingys.