Author Topic: v Grimsby  (Read 2449 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
v Grimsby
« on: July 27, 2023, 08:30:24 AM »
I'm afraid I'm going to be quite irritating over the course of the season asking how we played now I can't get to games!

Twitter reaction seemed to imply last night was a classic game of two halves and while the scoreline obviously reflected that it sounded like the performance was chalk and cheese? And this Oliver Wilson lad from Mansfield is going to be a proper striker?

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Grimsby
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 08:55:56 AM »
Sorry not to help this time, Pete, as it was the first friendly I haven't got to (normal service will be resumed on Saturday with my 'home' game at Stamford). Instead, I was shivering and getting wet at Leicester races, a promised birthday present (in March) from some friends! So much for wild fires. I hope the goals may suppress more moans about not having a 20-goal-a-season striker apparently. Given that we scored three at Coalville (and could have had more), a side nearer to our level than most we've played, I'm not in the doom-and-gloom camp yet. Let's see how we go.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 11:01:06 AM »
Here we go Pete, it was a last minute decision to go last night as there has been little to motivate me this pre season, the first half lived up to that although there were a few glimpses in attack but poor defending. No one could see that second half coming, almost from the kick off it was a transformation and what a revelation young Wilson was (reminded me of a young Denton) winning headers and scoring a lovely first goal with a sweet right foot, the lad looks to be the answer to our prayers for a big talented front man who is willing to work his socks off. As I say the second half we looked like a team who were at last getting it together, another two lovely goals from open play left me with a feeling of optimism for the coming season and not dreading our first game at Buxton. UTP.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:10:16 AM »
Cheers David and Mel - appreciated! The highlights are up now and I have to say that second half we looked to be playing some lovely stuff and the goals were very well taken indeed.