Author Topic: OT Saudi money  (Read 2955 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
OT Saudi money
« on: July 24, 2023, 09:10:25 PM »
Could this be the beginning of the end for the Premier league?

With very big money being offered to players to play in Saudi, I can see the mercenaries leaving the Premiership. Lower league football is the place to get your fix.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: OT Saudi money
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 09:27:32 AM »
No, I don't think so.

It's not that long since the Chinese league was blowing vast sums of money on "stars" and while this is admittedly on a different scale, you're just not going to replace the history of clubs like Juventus, Milan, Madrid, Barcelona and the EPL top four... and that history, passed down across generations, still does mean something, even in today's world where lots of younger people seem to support players rather than clubs!

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
The majority of the players heading to the Saudi money are players who are coming to the end of their careers and off for the money.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »
Bang on, I can't say as I blame them either. 33/34 and being offered that sort of money, 3 years over there and you and your family a set for life.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
Similar to the Chinese league a few years ago I think with ageing players (and Oscar) going for a big pay day. Mbappé refusing it out of hand shows it too although surprised Neves went there after leaving Wolves.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »
They have offered 150 million for Salah. And a camel for Harry McGuire  :D :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late