Author Topic: v Doncaster  (Read 2424 times)

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
v Doncaster
« on: July 12, 2023, 07:34:56 AM »
Much the same observations as Saturday in terms of our style of play. We started well and scored a good goal (Ward again) from a quick incisive move. Donny then had a good patch. Given that they constantly exposed our wing back system (particularly on their left, so I felt a bit sorry for Essien) and Cully did nothing about it, I can only suppose he was determined to try it out. The right back trialist in the second half and consequent change of formation made us more secure. Jake L in goal in the second half was excellent in his distribution and composure (and made a couple of first-class saves). What I liked was that the ball was not just going wide every time when building from the back which is what happens so often, but players in the middle were making themselves available. Again, we had plenty of movement. Gyasi looked lively when he came on for 30 mins. I certainly think we are going to enjoy watching this team and its brand of football. The players are hard-working as well as trying to play the game in the right way. UTP.

PS I started think during the second half (dangerous, I know) how many of those players whose loss we bemoaned at the end of last season (rightly, in many ways) would have been comfortable playing in this system. Answers on a postcard, please.........

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: v Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 08:04:47 AM »
David, good points as always but if anyone bemoaned losing any of last season's squad it just shows how far expectation levels have fallen in the supporter base. It was the poorest squad for many years, perhaps the regular support has become anesthetized to the mediocrity that seems to be acceptable these days.   

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 08:43:51 AM »
I have to agree with you Andy last year was a near disaster and the big clear out was certainly needed,we had a squad in the main who were less than average and comfortable putting in performances well below those of previous years and who in the main I am glad to see the back of. Agree with a lot David has said and have at least a bit more hope for this season.  UTP

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 09:01:51 AM »
Overall I was happy with last night's performance.  I think we need a proven goal scorer.  I think IC and PB know their starting 11.  It wasn't Doncaster's strongest team, so I am not getting carried away.  But a good work out.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 09:14:31 PM »
I think, Andy, that my PS was supporting your views. One of my main gripes over the past few seasons has been our lack of movement and subsequent often ponderous play. These two friendlies suggest that is being overcome. This hybrid system and Cully having brought in his own people means that the club is having a complete reset on the pitch , the like of which I'm not sure I can remember in my 55+ years watching. I hope it leads to a successful new era. Who can tell? What I feel after these two games is that I'm looking forward to watching the team more than I have for some years.