Author Topic: Oh so quiet.....  (Read 14035 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Oh so quiet.....
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2023, 12:24:58 PM »
With so few signings so far

I don't get that comment. We have 14 players officially announced, and it's not even July. We're not going to be working with much more than a squad of 20...

I think people are just a bit spooked by Scunny, who got their business done very early and have formidable squad depth. They must surely be favourites for the title, with the rest of us scrapping for the playoffs again.

They might have the best squad of players on paper, but how often doesn't that then translate into winning things? We know that better than most.

When have we ever gone into a season with the best squad of players?

we've had good-ish squads but Ive never seen us as favorites.

Sadly now we seem to be also rans

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2023, 12:55:17 PM »

I don't get that comment. We have 14 players officially announced, and it's not even July. We're not going to be working with much more than a squad of 20...

I think people are just a bit spooked by Scunny, who got their business done very early and have formidable squad depth. They must surely be favourites for the title, with the rest of us scrapping for the playoffs again.

They might have the best squad of players on paper, but how often doesn't that then translate into winning things? We know that better than most.

I know I am an half full glass kinda guy, but I am quietly confident we will do well this season Andy. I think the best signing so far is the keeper.  We need about three more players to complete the jigsaw. A striker or two are a must in my opinion.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2023, 05:21:32 PM »

I know I am an half full glass kinda guy, but I am quietly confident we will do well this season Andy. I think the best signing so far is the keeper.  We need about three more players to complete the jigsaw. A striker or two are a must in my opinion.

Play offs at best Mick.

Its what the club want

Not promotion though sadly, I'm resigned to us being in this league for years.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »
I feel like we're stuck in the same kind of rut as we were in the mid 90s, when we had good teams and could beat anyone at home on the day, but rarely could sustain a genuine title challenge.

Of course, non-league has changed a lot since those days, when we could expect to be there or thereabouts almost by default - but now we're having to fight ever harder against the tide of money flowing into our level.

Sure, improved finances have allowed us to move to this new hybrid model, but honestly the recruitment doesn't feel much more exciting than any other season, perhaps Bostwick aside. Hopefully we'll have more positive news on the recruitment front this week or next.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2023, 06:26:05 AM »
Hopefully the best is yet to come

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2023, 01:28:03 PM »
Sometimes the recruitment can be very difficult to judge, players like Shaun Pearson, Ricky Miller, Dayle Southwell weren't heralded as being good signings and turned out to be tremendous players for our level

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2023, 02:53:06 PM »
Oliver Wilson, Sam Essien, Jake Lovelace and Ryan Hand sign for the u23s, also having signed first team registration numbers.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2023, 07:17:56 PM »
After Ian Culverhouses interview then probably the ‘best’ is not yet to come. Only possibly two more so a squad of 16 and the under 23’s to draw on. He’s happy though

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2023, 09:23:29 PM »
Bit concerning. That'd leave us very light. I can only hope we'll be looking at trial players during pre-season and maybe some loans to thicken the squad out?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2023, 09:55:59 AM »
https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/video--ian-culverhouse-interview-2787922.html

Seems happy enough. Tomorrow, a lot of players released from league contracts.  Maybe something in the pipeline.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2023, 07:43:33 AM »
As always, a very good interview with Joe Simpson regarding the U23’s

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »
I’m guessing with the squad numbers reveal that we are still looking for a right back although with the 9 and 10 shirts taken, no main centre forward (back up though). Or am I placing too much importance on the 1-11 numbers?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »
New forward from Chesterfield, Michael Gyasi. Used to play under Cully at Lynn
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
New forward from Chesterfield, Michael Gyasi. Used to play under Cully at Lynn

As I understand it Cully never gave him a run in the starting eleven so hopefully he has improved in Cullys eyes and is not just making up the numbers.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2023, 07:37:06 AM »
Was not a regular in Gloucester team either last season.