Author Topic: Jimmy Knowles  (Read 6646 times)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Knowles
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 06:34:15 PM »
With a name that's 50% Tony Knowles and 50% Jimmy White, we've probably signed a good snooker player.

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:03 AM »
I think I said elsewhere that I thought the recruitment has been underwhelming, BUT it's a fair point that we've been impressed in previous years only to be massively disappointed. We just have to trust that the scouting is better this year than it was last year, when we recruited players seemingly entirely at odds with how Paul Cox liked to play football. Not many Boston fans will be too familiar with the new names so we'll just have to see how we get on in pre-season!
i agree with this, and I think it’s worth adding that we should remember the whole set up is changing to this Hybrid era. It’s a different way of thinking altogether, and it’s quite possible that we won’t hit the ground running. As a club we have to learn and adapt to this new era. I’d love to be wrong but I’m cautious as to how well this season might go. There’s no reason it won’t work, but it’s a big ask for it to all gel from the off. If we’re sat in the top ten at Christmas I think it should be considered good progress as a whole, by which time everyone will be able to see if it’s been worth the change.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »
It's rather frustrating that there's nothing on the official website yet about last week's signings!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2023, 03:10:06 PM »
I agree, I have bought my season ticket but am aware of several who are waiting to be inspired by some signings. In fact the lack of content on most matters of interest to supporters on the official site is very poor and does little to build up any enthusiasm.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2023, 03:31:30 PM »
To give it a bit of balance, they have upped their game on social media with Ceri doing the TikTok videos, but the website has long been neglected - a bare-bones template site little better than clubs three divisions below us.

copper89

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
I don't know whether it is just Craig who looks after the website. If so he's maybe having a well deserved holiday. I agree the new videos online with new signings are different and amusing.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 04:04:18 PM »
I get the impression Ceri is doing all the social media at the moment so you might be right about Craig having a thoroughly deserved break.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 08:30:56 AM »
Can anyone explain to me what is meant by 'bigger names' at our level?

Michael Bostwick ;) ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 09:27:07 AM »
Thank you!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »
I think I said elsewhere that I thought the recruitment has been underwhelming, BUT it's a fair point that we've been impressed in previous years only to be massively disappointed. We just have to trust that the scouting is better this year than it was last year, when we recruited players seemingly entirely at odds with how Paul Cox liked to play football. Not many Boston fans will be too familiar with the new names so we'll just have to see how we get on in pre-season!

Looks like your comments are sadly ringing true Pete. Apart from Bostwick most of the other signings are fringe players.  If we are serious about promotion we need winners.  A new striker is a must, along with a ball winner in midfield.  These were my views after the Donny game, glad I couldn't make yesterday's game by the sound of it.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »

Looks like your comments are sadly ringing true Pete. Apart from Bostwick most of the other signings are fringe players.  If we are serious about promotion we need winners.  A new striker is a must, along with a ball winner in midfield.  These were my views after the Donny game, glad I couldn't make yesterday's game by the sound of it.

Mick, we're NOT serious about promotion.

read the charirman's comments at the end of last season, he says he's not going to spend, we've a budget that he believes is competitive but its clear again we're shopping in the bargain basement.

Expect nothing and don't be disappointed, Boston Utd has now become a hospitality venue with a football club attached.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »
If the budget is competitive then surely that suggests we ARE serious about promotion?

Not the chairman's fault if that competitive budget turns out to have been - yet again - wasted on dross (well, he appointed Cully and his team so it kind of is his fault but you know what I mean)....

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »
Pre-season is not the time to judge the management team or players, give them at least until September before righting them off, let's get behind them and encourage not slagging them off before a competitive game has been played. 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
Pre-season is not the time to judge the management team or players, give them at least until September before righting them off, let's get behind them and encourage not slagging them off before a competitive game has been played.

Sorry, I wasn't saying this team is dross! Far too early to tell how good (or not) we are. Just making the point to Andy that if the budget is competitive and *IF* we're still rubbish, that's not the fault of the chairman's level of backing. Of course, what "competitive" means in this league is open to discussion as none of us truly know the wage structure and how it compares to other clubs, we can only make mildly educated guesses.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2023, 07:12:39 PM »
I get that it’s too early to judge etc but around 1,000 Boston supporters turned up and paid to be entertained to some degree and have a look at our new players. Not writing them off either but it was particularly dire. It will take a while to get this right but trusting in the staff to do it..