Author Topic: Fylde  (Read 2943 times)

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
Fylde
« on: April 15, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »
I expect Fylde will use their usual tactics of blocking their opponent`s goalkeeper from getting to the ball at every opportunity. They also manage to get more than average penalties and free kicks by feigning injuries in dangerous positions.

Prof

• View Profile
Re: Fylde
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 07:02:12 PM »
I don't think you were wrong Eddie. A capable and competent (full-time?) side who know where each other are on the pitch and are well drilled at all times. Big, physical and pretty cynical with tackles and dives; know exactly how far to push it on gamesmanship, to take advantage of some weak and inconsistent officials (2 of the 3 were poor standard today). On the flip side, we did not trouble them in front of goal (although some of the build up play was nice and would have undone lesser defences in this league), showed them too much respect and the result was largely inevitable from that point on.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 08:00:15 PM »
Definitely (and understandably if they are full time) thought they had the edge on us and deserved the win. Thought their no.9 Obi was excellent and stood above every other player on the pitch. Sobering thought on the quality of additions we need to make to compete next season…

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 09:00:49 AM »
My thoughts on the game yesterday.  You could see why Fylde were top of the league.  A full time team that did a professional job on us.  They knew all the dark arts and was aided by an inept referee.  Their goal came from a totally unmarked Pike who set the chance up ( Ferguson looked off the pace ).  With so long off with injury it was understandable.  A horrible club/team, I hope they go up so we do not have to play them next season.

Again, we were treated to another display of inept refereeing ( not the reason we lost ). How did Whitmore not get at least a yellow card for that leg breaking foul on Tom Nixon?  Why was Jordan Burrow not allowed back on the pitch after injury?  My mate started timing the incident after the crowd started booing, he timed it at one minute thirty eight seconds. So well over two minutes I think. Did she forget about him?  She was aided by a very poor official running the line in front of the East stand.

We have a lot of rebuilding to do post season I'm afraid.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 09:03:21 AM »
Definitely (and understandably if they are full time) thought they had the edge on us and deserved the win. Thought their no.9 Obi was excellent and stood above every other player on the pitch. Sobering thought on the quality of additions we need to make to compete next season…
I don’t think we’re a million miles away from being a playoff contender. Over the last 10 games we’ve lost to Fylde and Buxton who are both looking good for at least the playoffs. Otherwise our form is good enough.
I think the upturn has been since Gregory  arrived and Shiels and Burrow have returned. However, I understand there’s not too many current players still under contract for next season, and of course we will likely lose the loan players!
This season lost its way in the first 7 games and unfortunately when Cully took over it’s taken him 3-4 months to sort out a side that isn’t shipping goals.
I’m not pretending we could win the league for a minute, but the basics are  there.
Let’s not forget we are part time and the club clearly doesn’t have the budget to go full time, so getting back to challenging for a playoff place has to be the goal.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »
Got criticised for making a point about the manager replacing Jake Wright with an inferior player at Buxton, the reply to my post was that if Jake had got another yellow card he would be unavailable to play against Fylde. Explain to me then why was he left on the bench until ten minutes from the end when he immediately made things happen? Was he not fit enough to play more of a part? if so then I can understand but please tell us so we do not question the managers decisions which sometimes seem poor.  UTP   

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
Pretty sure Jordan Burrows wasn't allowed back on straight away was due to the fact he was bleeding and the ref has to check this has been dealt with properly before allowing him to come back on. This is only done once the ball has gone dead. What we should have done is kick the ball out.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 10:47:57 AM »
Got criticised for making a point about the manager replacing Jake Wright with an inferior player at Buxton, the reply to my post was that if Jake had got another yellow card he would be unavailable to play against Fylde. Explain to me then why was he left on the bench until ten minutes from the end when he immediately made things happen? Was he not fit enough to play more of a part? if so then I can understand but please tell us so we do not question the managers decisions which sometimes seem poor.  UTP

According to the match report he had suffered "a bout of illness".

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 12:56:42 PM »
Ref's decision to not let Burrow back on was correct if he was bleeding, but this wouldn't have been obvious to most people present (I hadn't realised he'd been cut and was myself a bit perplexed as to why he wasn't being allowed back on!).

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 12:58:41 PM »
I don’t think we’re a million miles away from being a playoff contender. Over the last 10 games we’ve lost to Fylde and Buxton who are both looking good for at least the playoffs. Otherwise our form is good enough.
I think the upturn has been since Gregory  arrived and Shiels and Burrow have returned. However, I understand there’s not too many current players still under contract for next season, and of course we will likely lose the loan players!
This season lost its way in the first 7 games and unfortunately when Cully took over it’s taken him 3-4 months to sort out a side that isn’t shipping goals.
I’m not pretending we could win the league for a minute, but the basics are  there.
Let’s not forget we are part time and the club clearly doesn’t have the budget to go full time, so getting back to challenging for a playoff place has to be the goal.

Don't think anyone's under contract for next season, are they? So it's all well and good people saying, "we need X amount of midfielders and a new left back" or whatever.... truth is we'll probably have yet another entirely new team next season.

Again.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 07:49:55 AM »
Over the course of a season it will be very difficult for us to compete with the full time clubs. To train for an hour on a Tuesday night and two hours on a Thursday is not enough. Compounded by revolving door system we have had with signings and loan players.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »
I think the new ground means we will at least be able to stand on our own two feet - something we would never have been able to do at York Street. That gives us a financial edge over much of the division.

Once the ground is complete, are the additional facilities going to give us enough money to go full time? With wage demands rising even at Step 2, it's not certain.

The main thing is we will no longer need propping up by an owner, as we have been done for decades... that situation never ends well, as we learned all too painfully in 2007.