Author Topic: 50 the magic number?  (Read 3337 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
50 the magic number?
« on: March 15, 2023, 09:41:28 AM »
Well done to the lads last night, another hard earned draw. A point from each of the remaining games should see us with a relegation avoiding total. Slowly but surely we are battling our way out of danger. Stay up and I think we have a solid base to build for next season. But will 50 points be enough?
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: 50 the magic number?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 04:55:07 PM »
50 would be a point short if you were to base the final table on the current PPGs of each club in the bottom 8.

With points rounded up to the next whole number we'd need 51 points (which our current PPG would give us) with a final table looking like this:-

18th    52pts Leamington or Kettering
19th    52pts Leamington or Kettering
20th    51pts BOSTON UNITED
21st    50pts Farsley Celtic
22nd    46pts Blyth Spartans
23rd   42pts Bradford Park Avenue
24th  30pts AFC Telford United

Of course, the PPGs could change enough to alter this, and then there are a few ‘6-pointers’ between teams in the bottom 8, all but one involving us:-

BUFC v Bradford Park Avenue
BUFC v Farsley Celtic
AFC Telford Utd v BUFC
Leamington v BUFC
Farsley Celtic v Blyth Spartans

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 08:35:53 PM »
Well done KP. I couldn't have put it better myself  :)

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 02:23:29 PM »
Next 4 games could be crucial. 3 of next 4 are against teams below us, win all 3 against teams below us and I think that will be enough.

Nice to see the chairman, players and management team really digging us out of this hole of late. Chairman / club paid for the team to stay overnight for the long trip up to  Blyth and it was obvious we needed a new keeper and left back, paid the money (kettering making out we paid big money for keeper and fee for left back too).

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 03:17:07 PM »
Yeah, Gregory's arrival as an actual keeper who belongs to us was a huge turning point. With the remarkable exception of Dewhurst last season, loans just don't cut it.

Burrow's return is massive as well. Absolute workhorse, but whereas Jordon Crawford was running around after the ball, Burrow is winning it - and is a physical menace too.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 04:46:59 PM »
Yeah, Gregory's arrival as an actual keeper who belongs to us was a huge turning point. With the remarkable exception of Dewhurst last season, loans just don't cut it.

Burrow's return is massive as well. Absolute workhorse, but whereas Jordon Crawford was running around after the ball, Burrow is winning it - and is a physical menace too.

He certainly impressed one Southport supporter on Tuesday night. I sat next to the same Southport season-ticket holder on Tuesday as I had done last season. He remembered too, ‘Yes, you’re the Boston supporter who lives in Bolton’. He was quite impressed with us overall, especially in the first half, and said towards the end 'I really like how your centre-forward plays at both ends of the pitch' and, as we were leaving, ‘I’m pretty sure I’ll be seeing you again next season if you play like that until the end of the season’.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 08:55:02 PM »

Yes his performances since he's been back certainly made us realise how much we missed him when he was injured, a real leader.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:29 AM »
kettering making out we paid big money for keeper

Kettering didn't have him on a contract, presumably we now do - we've given him security at a bigger club. A good keeper is worth paying out a healthy wage for.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 12:09:25 AM »
50 was the magic number

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 06:39:15 PM »
Unbelievable that Kettering just needed 3 wins from their last 12 games yet only managed 8 points and went down. The night we traisped out after the 3:2 defeat it looked like that would be us.
Conversely Graham Fenton at Blyth Spartans pulled off the Great Escape and also credit to Farsley Celtic for somehow surviving. I've had cracking away trips to both these clubs so am happy they stayed up.