Author Topic: Favourite Players  (Read 3803 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Favourite Players
« on: March 01, 2023, 03:18:23 PM »
Over the years on this forum, contributors have been asked to pick their all time best team.  This is something different.  We all have had players we have liked, but  sometimes have not been fans favourites. I liked Simon Rusk, but he used to get a lot of stick from several stood behind me.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
Re: Favourite Players
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 03:36:09 PM »
Interestingly, I spoke to Simon when he came as a legend recently. I told him I felt he was a real confidence player and much seemed to depend on his very first touch in the game. He told me that he had an intermittent eye/sight condition and he never knew when this would kick in. He could never reveal it back then for fear it would stop his career. There were times he suffered with this during games, i.e. delivering passes, but could never say. Not doing him very much harm now with his new position! You just never know….

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 05:00:56 PM »
We asked this exact question - favourite, if not necessarily the *best*, player(s) - in Tales Of A Pilgrim and got some excellent answers.

Leroy Chambers for me!

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 06:22:23 PM »
It was a strike pair for me that didn’t last too long due to a nasty injury….Lumby and Garwood…. Ernest Malkinson dug deep to pay 2 top strikers to drop out of the league and their class (and goals) showed.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 10:36:29 AM »
It was a strike pair for me that didn’t last too long due to a nasty injury….Lumby and Garwood…. Ernest Malkinson dug deep to pay 2 top strikers to drop out of the league and their class (and goals) showed.

I remember Lumby scoring a deflected goal against a strong Sheffield United team in the FA cup. I also remember going to Sheffield for the replay.  We took the lead, but got a thumping. I remember ex Boston Town Mark Cox missing a sitter for us.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 11:11:43 AM »

Absolutely this.....

If Garwood hadn't broken his ankle a fortnight before the Blades game I'm convinced we'd have beaten them. Him and Jim Lumby were proper hard working old fashioned centre forwards fed with bullets by Gary Mallender, Dave Gilbert and Gary Jones.

A proper fox in the box, no pace but an amazing knack of being in the right place at the right time.

My favourite season ever, only 2 home defeats all season, a good FA Cup and Trophy run, some cracking away days and a team that really entertained.

It all fell away after Dagenham beat us in the trophy, we lost at home to champions Enfield the week after and won 1 of about the next 7 or 8 to finish 4th when we had a realistic championship ambition in late March.

Devon Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »
Does anyone on here have as a "favourite players GROUP" the team that Ray Middleton(player manager and goalie) took to Derby County in the FA cup 2nd round in 1955, and thrashed them 6-1(still I believe the highest score of a non league team away against a League club ). What a memory of a 14 year old in those days, when Midland League gates could often be in the 4-5,000s! John Motson MBE is quoted as remembering his Uncle taking him as a lad to watch Boston United, and reading the half time score in the "Star" as Derby 1 Boston 3 with unbelief ! I'm sure some of us remember the likes of "Dusty Miller" , Tommy Lowder, etc.etc. But ever a BUFC fan through thick and thin. UTP

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 05:12:50 PM »
Does anyone remember Bobby Svarc ? He was my favourite.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 07:33:26 PM »
Does anyone remember Bobby Svarc ? He was my favourite.

Mine too, he could turn on a tanner and certainly knew where the goal was, followed closely by Howard Wilkinson, hell of a winger.  Oh the good old days!!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:03:03 PM »
The good old days indeed! Bring back Billy Howells. There was a committed defender. I think he'd have liked playing alongside Luke Shiels. I have a treasured photo with BH.

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »
Yes, Bobby Svarc for me too. Fantastic striker, Championship class playing in the Northern Premier League. His strike partnership with John Froggatt was superb

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 01:41:50 PM »
The good old days indeed! Bring back Billy Howells. There was a committed defender. I think he'd have liked playing alongside Luke Shiels. I have a treasured photo with BH.
We could do with the likes of Billy, John Lakin and Dick Bates in our defence today.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 01:52:32 PM »
Munton

SMELLS LIKE VICTORY

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 04:21:22 PM »

Stewart Hamill- feisty, in your face & some skill too.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
Bobby Scarc.....brilliant player and Keith Jobling....tough as steel!