Author Topic: COMMUNICATING WITH SUPPORTERS  (Read 2904 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
COMMUNICATING WITH SUPPORTERS
« on: February 22, 2023, 04:02:16 PM »
Unless there are comments regarding match days and matters relating ther appears to be little on the clubs website to engage the interest of supporters . I find this a disappointment and feel the club needs to keep the interested with regular content to engage them and keep them enthused.
Eg:- Regular updates on injuries and illness in the squad. A quick couple of minutes interviews with players and staff on training nights, The clubs plans for the future and how fans can play a part in these.
I appreciate with most players not being local it is dificult for them to interact with the fans but with better use of social media as sugested this can be improved.
Come on! the more everyone can feel involved, engaged and valued the better for the club to move on to much better times.  UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMMUNICATING WITH SUPPORTERS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 04:13:03 PM »
It's something I've really noticed this season. I don't know whether that's because the communication has dropped off from recent seasons, or because the club's poor form has simply highlighted it. It also hasn't helped that Duncan Browne no longer works at the Boston Standard. Their coverage now is mainly regurgitating press releases the club has released, or rehashing interviews off the website. In the past I suspect Dunc's interviews and original coverage masked the lack of it from the club itself.

I know Craig has a lot on his plate so it's unfair to single (waheey) him out specifically, but I do think the club has done an extremely poor job this season of communicating injuries to fans, which has caused unnecessary speculation about players' futures, plus the pre-match "hype" is absolutely non-existent. We hear nothing from players midweek, nothing from the management except whoever Makepeace can get on the phone on Hope & Glory, no rallying cries from Cully, mostly silence from the chairman on the new stand or his thoughts on anything for that matter.

"The Pilgrim" does fill in a lot of the gaps, but honestly, what does it sell? 300 copies? We need more stuff on social media and on the website. There's no "buzz" at all right now. I like the tone of the club's official communications - it's very professional, if a little too straight at times, but we do avoid the embarrassing banter many other clubs fall into, and nor are we tweeting out bizarre criticism of foreign banks, like King's Lynn. But there is massive scope for improvement I think, and getting some media volunteers on board could go some way towards fixing it. Students with an interest in football media will be very easy to find! Craig can't be relied on to do absolutely everything; on the other hand, I think fans deserve better than what we're getting at the moment.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 04:29:59 PM »
Thanks for your instant reply Pete, I clearly don't have your capacity to express my feelings in such a cracking way. And I agree with your comments regarding Craig I was in no way having a dig at anyone in particular it is just that that my other love in Rugby League produce something on almost a daily basis and it works wonders.  UTP

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »
I have to agree with both of you. At least those who live in Boston have other fans around them to ramp up the interest. Those of us who live away from the town (as I believe the three of us who have posted on this topic so far do) would like something more to keep us going. Oakham isn't exactly awash with Bostonians, although there is a bloke from Kirton round the corner, not that he's really interested in BUFC!

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »
Also, to add to that, why is the highlights of the match so short? surely there is more than 4/5 mins of highlights even in a poor game. Darlington is one amongst others that is very good.   

copper89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:29:27 PM »
What is good is that Carol the physio is giving us regular updates and photos on Twitter.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 04:27:16 PM »
Also, to add to that, why is the highlights of the match so short? surely there is more than 4/5 mins of highlights even in a poor game. Darlington is one amongst others that is very good.   

Russell did miss the build up to the goal on Tuesday night which wasn't great, but he did add the goal separately later in the day that included it.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 05:17:30 PM »
It's nice to see the build up to the goal. It was an even better move than I remembered! And full marks to the ref for waving play on when he could have given a foul on Jordan B.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 08:02:39 PM »
United have always struggled to willy wav and put themselves out
I wonder if we need a social media person although that's yet another wage

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »
A lot of other clubs use volunteers to help with social media. I'm not really sure that's David Newton's style, though. And would Craig even want to give up some of those responsibilities?!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
Also, to add to that, why is the highlights of the match so short?

They used to be too long! It would often be 3 minutes before the match actually kicked off as we listened to the late Mick Fixter read out the teams over the tannoy, having already watched the pre-match handshakes.

What some clubs do is get the goals out quickly, then longer highlights a day or so later.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 10:05:20 AM »
I am sure my grand daughter and season ticket holder, would help. She is currently involved with Tottenham Hotspur. She is promoting corporate events at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium at the moment via all social media platforms.

She did enquire at Boston a couple of years ago, but the position was already taken.  I'm sure she could help if she wasn't stepping on any toes. Voluntary of course if I asked her nicely ;) ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late