Author Topic: Scunthorpe  (Read 3341 times)

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
Scunthorpe
« on: January 11, 2023, 09:42:46 PM »
I've just seen they've been given a winding up petition by HMRC.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scunthorpe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 09:30:14 AM »
I've just seen they've been given a winding up petition by HMRC.

I have sympathy for the fans, but not for the club. I remember when we were in the same situation, some of the comments coming from the club were not nice.  I hope for the fans sake a solution can be found.  They may have to drop down a few levels like we did.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 11:19:29 AM »
Has Peter Swann been successful with anything at Gainsborough or Scunthorpe?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:38:29 AM »
He wanted the Northolme but the Blues Club refused to sell. A decision that they now must breath a sigh of relief over....

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:24:30 PM »
He had dreams of a new stadium for Gainsborough - didn't work. Dreams of a new stadium for Scunthorpe - didn't work.

He's also been a large gambler in the past, and is in dispute with gambling firm (who only deal with "large sums of money"). There's a thread by football finance expert Kieran Maguire on Twitter about it. The thought is that his loss of money gambling has indirectly affected his position at Scunthorpe, causing him to want to sell up.
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1610331771903836160

Even his revamped venue in Blackpool (the "only 5 star hotel" in the town) has yet to reopen... and his company lost £48m in their last accounts.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 09:30:23 AM »
Big shame that Scunthorpe will be playing, at best, regional non-league football next season. I remember when we used to visit their "new" unsightly concrete stadium when we were in the Football League and I even went there for a few Pontins League Reserve team games with The Pilgrims! Wish them well for the future but it doesn't look promising.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:02:47 AM »
I remember our 2..0 defeat there. The worst refereeing decisions I had seen. This was from a supposedly top referee. Phil Dowd, gave a penalty and dubious goal against us. I remember Soccer AM doing the replay and questioning both decisions. Apparently Ellender pulled a shirt in the area. And Bazzas save on the goal line actually went over. Yet his body was covering the ball. I remember soccer AM freeze framing both incidents and still questioning the decisions.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 12:20:21 PM »
Hope you were not giving him tips for your dogs Mick.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »
No Mel,  he would have been broke many years ago if he backed mine ;D ;D ;D

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 07:14:13 PM »
Looking at our league position, the chance that this might provide a reprieve for a club in either nln or NLS is a bonus.

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:15 PM »
The Ilkeston Town chairman has resigned and is trying to buy Scunthorpe. Where that leaves Ilkeston is anyone’s guess…