Author Topic: Boxing Day  (Read 2124 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Boxing Day
« on: December 23, 2022, 08:55:14 AM »
Let's be honest: expectations are as low as I can recall for a festive game, you only have to see the predictions to see most people are expecting us to get a hiding!

In all seriousness, what's the best we can hope for? Glorious defeat? A thrashing that forces Cully to reckon with the fact the team needs a complete clear out? What about - and hear me out here - a DRAW????

I'm still hopeful with a raucous home crowd and a bit of Pollock magic we could sneak a win, but with the way we've defended in the first half of the season, I'm certainly not expecting one...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Day
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 09:22:37 AM »
If Kings Lynn play anywhere close to the 1st half against Stevenage the other week it'll be 4 or 5 by half time.

Like you say, I can't remember collective expectations being lower at any time in the last 40+ years, how its go to this after the unexpected play off final appearance 7 months ago is hard to fathom but suffice to say IC has his biggest ever job on just to keep the club in this division.

Take two beatings on the chin and hope to rebuild after Xmas is the realistic expectation, 1 point out of the two games would surpass anything from this woefully inadequate team.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
The only consolation Andy is that Lynn haven't been in the best of form themselves recently, but then we've been eviscerated by anyone half decent thus far so they don't need to be on top form.

Like you, absolutely 100% behind IC and the team to keep us in the division. Don't think there's much appetite out there for yet another managerial change, although I have noticed a few rumblings about whether he's up to it, which isn't good. To my mind he's been left with the thankless task of trying to fix Paul Cox's legacy - a team that no doubt contains some talent, but which never adequately replaced Byrne and was left with too many square pegs playing in round holes.

Quite why Cox recruited a team wholly unsuited to his style of football will forever be a complete mystery to me.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 11:11:48 AM »
Agree. My expectations are incredibly low but would a mass clearout happen in Jan? It's ok getting shot of loads of players but we need replacements. Bar McLintock none of our incomings have set the world alight and we seem to be in this huge cycle of one-month work experience loan signings. Do we really want more of those in Jan?

I really don't believe we'll go down, I don't actually think we'll be close to going down, there are some horrendous sides in this league but I think we'll finish 13th or 14th which would be very underwhelming.

I think we stick with IC until next season unless we do keep on getting pumped and then we might need to think about a change. I think when he took over we thought we'd be in a much better position than we are by now.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
Agree. My expectations are incredibly low but would a mass clearout happen in Jan? It's ok getting shot of loads of players but we need replacements. Bar McLintock none of our incomings have set the world alight and we seem to be in this huge cycle of one-month work experience loan signings. Do we really want more of those in Jan?

I really don't believe we'll go down, I don't actually think we'll be close to going down, there are some horrendous sides in this league but I think we'll finish 13th or 14th which would be very underwhelming.

I think we stick with IC until next season unless we do keep on getting pumped and then we might need to think about a change. I think when he took over we thought we'd be in a much better position than we are by now.

Yeah, I think the ONLY way a mass clear out happens is if Lynn utterly destroy us and Newton frees up funds to go after some players under contract - but that would only happen if we already had a solid list of realistic targets drawn up, and I'm not convinced we have the scouts in place for that. Or the money, for that matter!

But we're all guessing, aren't we? The thing is, we're not hearing that much from the club or IC at all - in days gone by you'd have Duncan ringing them up midweek for chats and there'd be far more information to go on. Now? It's mostly complete radio silence except for the immediate post-match interviews with Craig that are - unsurprisingly - focussed on what's just happened, and not what's going to happen in the coming weeks. Plus the loss of proper coverage from the local rag means no awkward questions are being asked of either the manager or the chairman, answers to which might give us more of a clue as to where we might be heading. The Boston Standard now just regurgitates what Cully has said in his post-match interview.