Author Topic: Spalding humiliation  (Read 3987 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Spalding humiliation
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:00:49 PM »
This almost feels like the final nail in the coffin. Well done Spalding but what a shower of tripe United have become. Am now dreading a total humiliation on Boxing Day. It now looks as though relegation is really on the cards. As we get through managers at the same rate as players will we ever find a replacement for Craig? The fans have shown so much support for the club they deserve much better than the garbage being dished out but it surely can't last much longer. The hospitality may be sold out for Boxing Day but much more of this dross and there will be a struggle to sell burgers. One way or another the chairman must take the bull by the horns or it will become a total catastrophe.  UTP 

View from the Park

• View Profile
Re: Spalding humiliation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:30:37 PM »
Started to worry now, even with a full second team, we should be able to see off teams like Spalding, after all lower league, maybe this is the level many of our players should be applying their trade and not the Conference North.
Take a look at yourselves.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 08:49:48 AM »
The problem is he DID take the "bull by the horns" by sacking Craig. But I felt it was a daft move back then, and I would have still felt it a daft move had we somehow beaten York as aside from the play-offs we were barely better under Cox than we had ben Craig, and there was something about Cox that just felt a bit off. Sometimes, the brave thing to do is nothing in the absence of better alternatives.

As for what Newton does now...? Cully has to be given a chance, but again, the recruitment side just doesn't seem right to me. We're not going to save ourselves with a succession of increasingly panic-stricken one month loan deals. We may have to spend some money getting proven players out of their contracts elsewhere. But where are the scouts? Do we even have any?

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
I know this will sound silly, but I think someone has put a curse on the Club of never progressing very far in Cup competitions!!  Perhaps the club Padre
should carry out an exorcism and see what happens.   We can't go on as we are, we'll soon be the laughing-stock of Non-league.   Silly I know, but something has
to be done sooner rather than later.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »
Where are the scouts, you ask Pete?

Well we had a really good one in Richard but sadly he's gone with Elliot to Buxton. It was he, not Elliott who's the big miss here, he could find a player, even the loan boys, the problem was Elliott couldn't get a tune out of them, or possibly the players didn't like the tune they were being asked to play.

But we're now seeing the complete folly of not appointing these two in the first place. Was Cox the cheap option? Did IC & PB price themselves out of the job initially? We'll never know but with every terrible result and new depths being plumbed seemingly every week or so it makes you wonder what went through the chairman's mind last January. And by that I mean appointing Cox, not dispensing with Elliott who clearly had lost the dressing room.

copper89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 12:18:54 PM »
Talk about curses,is the new stadium cursed because ever since we've set foot in the place nothings gone right. Elliott went from hero to zero,Cox ended in disaster and a supposedly great new manager is struggling to fend of relegation.  Or is it all sending us barmy.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »
Talk about curses,is the new stadium cursed because ever since we've set foot in the place nothings gone right. Elliott went from hero to zero,Cox ended in disaster and a supposedly great new manager is struggling to fend of relegation.  Or is it all sending us barmy.

To be honest I think everything started going wrong after the 0-0 at Rochdale and has been slowly unravelling since.

Crook's errors robbed us of a chance at a Premier League team at YS.

The pandemic robbed us of a proper send off for YS. The last game there was a defeat. Again, Crook error.

The pandemic robbed us of properly opening the new stadium. The first game there was a defeat.

And then everything that's happened since the move. It's been an awful few months. Literally the only good thing that's happened is putting Fylde out of the play-offs!

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »
What do you mean by "the chairman must take the bull by the horns" though? Another managerial roundabout??
People on here remember the winning games under Elliott, but even then we didn't play attractive football. And I know many people will also dislike this comment, but the last time we had see consistent attractive winning football was under Greene.
But rightly we have moved on from the past now, and I don't agree with old managers coming back anyway.
So...at this point in the season if we did look for yet another change in the hot seat, who would come in? So many that are capable are signed up to other clubs.

I personally don't think our current management are bad, it's the players that are not firing on all cylinders.
Last night I for one didn't think it was a humiliation, I expected a tight battle against a lower league team who are in blinding form! Fair play to them, they have a decent set up now and have that winning mentality running through their team.
If only a little bit of that would rub off on us.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 05:31:50 PM »
Like Winging It I didn't think last night was a humiliation. We could, should, have been ahead before their breakaway second but for a great save from their keeper and a few bobbles on a poor pitch at vital moments. I was considerably less disheartened after it than I was after Banbury last week. Whatever the rights and wrongs of managerial sackings and appointments, clearly this season now has only one aim which is to stay in NLN. We've just got to back the team, starting on Boxing Day.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
And why hasn't anything been said officially about Claudio Ofuso (unless I've missed it) who I thought had an encouraging debut last night. Is he on loan? Have we signed him? Answers on a postcard....

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 08:12:43 PM »
Funnily enough I was just moaning to a mate about the complete silence on him, but last time I had a similar moan Craig Singleton snapped back at me that the club only announce things when the paperwork is done...

Not sure that really counts this time though. Not a mention of it in a very short match report. No videos from Cully or Bazza for that matter. Surely we should be hyping up next Monday, for all the issues we're having?

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 08:39:50 PM »
For the record:

1. For the second season in a row, we have been knocked out of all 3 Cup competitions by teams from a lower league.
2. I do not regret Elliott's sacking. I was a staunch supporter of his for 3 seasons, but by last Xmas he was a liability. I would have sacked him after the Cup replay defeat at Stratford, and I suspect he was surprised he wasn't.
3. Dennis Greene teams played attractive football all right, but Dennis lost interest in the job. The reasons for that will probably remain confidential.
4. IC & PC must remain in post. They now have ONE target. Avoid relegation.

UTP

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 09:22:15 PM »
[Funnily enough I was just moaning to a mate about the complete silence on him, but last time I had a similar moan Craig Singleton snapped back at me that the club only announce things when the paperwork is done...]

Given that he played last night, I'd assume the paperwork had been done!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »
Sorry, still haven't got the hang of putting quotations in when posting on the phone!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
[Funnily enough I was just moaning to a mate about the complete silence on him, but last time I had a similar moan Craig Singleton snapped back at me that the club only announce things when the paperwork is done...]

Given that he played last night, I'd assume the paperwork had been done!

Scotty Walds knows a bit more about player registrations than me but I think for a Lincs Senior Cup game you can have players sign county forms and appear for you on trial - they just can't be named as "Trialist".