Author Topic: Fylde  (Read 4271 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fylde
« on: November 22, 2022, 09:44:17 PM »
Took me until the fortieth minute to get the Radio commentary and wished I hadn't bothered. This was frankly embarrassing and totally unacceptable. Where we go from here I dread to think. Finding it quite ammusing that Boxing days game is all ticket, can only assume it's the only way to try to get a crowd in as I can't imagine non season ticket holders arriving in droves on the day. Need to get things sorted quickly or it will be a battle for survival.  UTP

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fylde
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:25:57 AM »
we had got 10 out of 12 points before tonight. A long trip away on a tuesday never straightforward.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 10:10:21 AM »
Plus they're full time and the chairman is no doubt chucking money at them.
What was the attendance?
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:15:35 PM »
Took me until the fortieth minute to get the Radio commentary and wished I hadn't bothered. This was frankly embarrassing and totally unacceptable. Where we go from here I dread to think. Finding it quite ammusing that Boxing days game is all ticket, can only assume it's the only way to try to get a crowd in as I can't imagine non season ticket holders arriving in droves on the day. Need to get things sorted quickly or it will be a battle for survival.  UTP

Probably all ticket because of the restricted away attendance, with no real prospect of increasing their allocation due to the limitations of the segregation.

For once I have to disagree with you Mel - I wasn't expecting much from last night, I was being ambitious hoping for a point but the fact is they're full time and had just appointed Adam Murray so they were enjoying their new manager bounce and all that. The good news is that the away trip we all dread is now out of the way and we can push on into the hectic Christmas schedule that's going to dictate our season.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 01:17:14 PM »
For once I'll agree with Pete, we were on a hiding to nothing last night for the reasons given.

Move on and hope we can get enough points to ensure yet another season is wasted in regional football

None of this is on the manager & Baz, what Cox was playing at this summer is one of life's great mysteries, suffice to say its a colossal mess and hopefully they'll get next seasons side sorted in the next 5 or 6 months so we don't have the usual summer of picking up the scraps from the table.

However my feeling is full time football is the only way to get out of this league; despite all the big talk about the new ground being a game changer its a long way off happening. If DN isn't prepared to go down that route he should be honest and let us know rather than allow us to believe we're going to be contenders when the reality is play offs at best. 

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 01:25:52 PM »
I don't think we'll be looking at full-time football until the south stand is built and the gym/sports hall amenities are up and running, and God only knows when that's going to happen. The longer the silence on construction starting, the more I feel we may be stuck with a three-sided stadium for a while to come. I don't doubt the finances are in a better shape now (perhaps Josh can tell us at the next AGM!) but whether it's enough to stem the losses AND give us a leeway to go F/T until the stadium is complete.... that I'm not sure about.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 02:30:45 PM »
It is frustrating, but I for one (given what happened 15 years or so ago) would rather we don't get ourselves into another financial - and reputational - mess. If that means NLN for the foreseeable, then so be it. Too many clubs, including us of course, have got themselves into dire straits through chucking money around that they haven't got. People easily forget that those years ago there was the very real danger that we wouldn't have a club to support. Better NLN than that, as far as I'm concerned. I'm probably not the only one who feared what would have happened to us if we'd won the play-offs last season (even though I was cheering us on, needless to say). The National League is an entirely different beast to the last time we were at that level. When we do get back to it, we need to be in a position to do better than just hope for survival.

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 03:42:41 PM »
….and Scunthorpe Utd and Oldham Athletic I might be opponents next season.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »
It is frustrating, but I for one (given what happened 15 years or so ago) would rather we don't get ourselves into another financial - and reputational - mess. If that means NLN for the foreseeable, then so be it. Too many clubs, including us of course, have got themselves into dire straits through chucking money around that they haven't got. People easily forget that those years ago there was the very real danger that we wouldn't have a club to support. Better NLN than that, as far as I'm concerned. I'm probably not the only one who feared what would have happened to us if we'd won the play-offs last season (even though I was cheering us on, needless to say). The National League is an entirely different beast to the last time we were at that level. When we do get back to it, we need to be in a position to do better than just hope for survival.

We're not even big fish in the NLN, let alone the NL. I know that is distressing to some older fans who remember us being non-league top dogs but those times have gone and they're not coming back.

That's not to say we shouldn't aspire to be a NL team and then try and push on to the EFL, but our status alone no longer is enough. And since we don't have the crowds to sustain full-time football, we're just going to have to wait until the stadium facilities can compensate and yes, that might have to wait until after the south stand is built.

Like you David, I absolutely do not want a chairman "chucking money at it".

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 12:12:12 AM »
Thank you Oakham Pilgrim and Pete B for giving a realistic appraisal of the present day situation whilst still keeping our hopes and aspirations alive.

You only have to look at the bottom of the National League to see Aldershot Town, Yeovil Town, Maidstone Utd, Oldham Athletic, Gateshead, Scunthorpe Utd and Torquay Utd all struggling which is a sign that much has changed in the last few few years.

United we stand..................

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 08:41:22 AM »
I know I'm not the only one absolutely sick of National League North and the bi-annual games against Leamington, Curzon, Spennymoor and Brackley.

Its all very stale and samey and certainly not worth a great deal of effort if that's all we've got to look forwards too.

So I'll just keep doing the odd away game and hoping one day we'll be in a position to challenge.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 10:11:59 AM »
I know I'm not the only one absolutely sick of National League North and the bi-annual games against Leamington, Curzon, Spennymoor and Brackley.

Its all very stale and samey and certainly not worth a great deal of effort if that's all we've got to look forwards too.

So I'll just keep doing the odd away game and hoping one day we'll be in a position to challenge.

In an ideal world we would be moving up the leagues on a regular basis and visiting new grounds and places.  Unfortunately, we do not live in an ideal world.  Many of us die-hards realise that and are indeed grateful for the new ground and trust David Newton to get us the best possible sustainable outcome.
United we stand..................

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »

In an ideal world we would be moving up the leagues on a regular basis and visiting new grounds and places.  Unfortunately, we do not live in an ideal world.  Many of us die-hards realise that and are indeed grateful for the new ground and trust David Newton to get us the best possible sustainable outcome.

I used to class myself as a die hard. I think in the 80's and 90's combined I missed about 8 home games

Covid changed everything though, and I realized Saturday's weren't the sole preserve of football.

And I'll be honest, football doesn't give me the same buzz it used to. 

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 10:51:57 AM »
I expected nothing from our trip to AFC Plastic. Hence my prediction being 3-1.  I think we have come forward under IC and Bazza.  But they are only as good as what they have to work with.  I fear the whole playing budget was blown in the summer.  I think we have to grin and bear it this season. I believe the cost of the south stand is well out of our budget.  I had a box steel gate made for my property last year cost £400.  I had a similar one made last week cost £739.  This was mates rates.  The cost of steel has more than doubled in 12 months.  My mate showed me an invoice from five years ago, the cost of steel has increased nearly 800%.  He says China and the USA are buying all the steel and demand is outstripping supply.

Just a thought, could the club hardcore the south stand area for extra parking?  At least they would be getting some income. I know the footings are in, but a thick layer of hardcore should n't damage anything. Trust me i'm a doctor ;D ;D ;D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late