Author Topic: Blyth today  (Read 2724 times)

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
Blyth today
« on: November 12, 2022, 07:24:14 PM »
Another exciting and totally committed performance, especially without Tom Platt. It felt like another cup final with maximum effort from every player. We shouldn’t dress over the chances created by Blyth in the first half though. The crowd number was a pleasant surprise and all in all a great afternoon. I thought Atkinson and McLintock were outstanding. Well done to all the players and staff!

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth today
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 07:37:17 PM »
game of 2 halves....rode their luck a bit and on another day it could have been 4-1 at half time....whatever cully said to them at half time worked a treat!! good finishes for all the goals and baring in mind the players missing a great result....Blyth played well but like a lot of teams need a finisher up top

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 09:16:08 PM »
If you weren't there the result looked like an easy win against a side near the bottom. But Blythe didn't look like a side near the bottom. So, a good result with three well taken goals

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 09:46:11 PM »
First match I'd been able to go to in quite a while so enjoyed seeing us win.

Thought we were lucky really to keep a clean sheet, if Blyth had a striker that has the composure and quality in front of goal that Jake Wright showed today would have been a v different scoreline they certainly had their chances particularly in first half, they did get through us quite easy just lucky for us didn't have the quality in front of goal and probably lack of confidence being near bottom of league. If we were playing a top half side today not confident we'd have got 3 points. We look a bit fragile without platt in midfield, missing some key players in the spine of the team at the moment.

On the positive side we took our chances tried to play good football, Jake Wright was quality and took his chances well to seal the win.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 12:50:58 PM »
100% commitment from the lads.  Cully and Bazza have instilled a great sense of team spirit. I think we should avoid relegation and maybe have a small squeak of reaching the playoffs. McClintock  is filling the gap left by Byne, we should tie him down to a long contract.  Tamworth on Saturday, if I was manager I would play squad players ( if we have any uninjured ) for this match.  Give first team players a chance to recover.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 03:47:23 PM »
I am also very impressed with the togetherness and team spirit somethings we have not seen for some time. I have to agree with Mick regarding Mcklintock, a great young talent we should be building the team around him. It is remarkable with all the players missing that the management team have got these lads showing such commitment and desire. I think all our spirits have been lifted after such a dreadful start.  UTP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:59:45 AM »
First match I'd been able to go to in quite a while so enjoyed seeing us win.

Thought we were lucky really to keep a clean sheet, if Blyth had a striker that has the composure and quality in front of goal that Jake Wright showed today would have been a v different scoreline they certainly had their chances particularly in first half, they did get through us quite easy just lucky for us didn't have the quality in front of goal and probably lack of confidence being near bottom of league. If we were playing a top half side today not confident we'd have got 3 points. We look a bit fragile without platt in midfield, missing some key players in the spine of the team at the moment.

On the positive side we took our chances tried to play good football, Jake Wright was quality and took his chances well to seal the win.

Pretty much spot on summary of the game. On paper, a comfortable win. As anyone who was there will tell you, far from it! Had they got a decent striker Saturday would probably have been a topsy-turvey goal fest and not one I'd be entirely sure we'd have won. Two bad defensive errors led to Jake Wright's goals (not to detract from his finishes, though, which were exceptional!) and it was only a pretty stunning assist from McLintock that unlocked Blyth for Ferguson's first. Up to that point we had absolutely nothing going on in the final third.

Slightly different in the second-half - we weathered long spells of Blyth possession quite well and they never looked like getting back into it. They actually looked a very decent footballing side in spells, certainly better than some teams I've seen this season. They clearly lack a striker though, luckily for us.

All that being said, given the injuries, lots of positives to take. Was particularly impressed with Joe Simpson's post-match interview, he speaks very well and it was good to hear him describe the match we all saw, whereas with Cox it often felt he'd been watching an entirely different game.