Author Topic: 1978  (Read 3268 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
"United received a huge body-blow in 1977 when Football League inspectors failed the Ground as being suitable for the Football League, and although United were N.P.L. Champions yet again, runners-up Wigan Athletic were put forward instead and were elected. The United Directors unanimously agreed that this must never happen again, and so commenced the vast undertaking of rebuilding virtually the whole of the York Street Ground, launching new fundraising schemes in 1978. The local population backed them incredibly, and new floodlights, stands, toilets, turnstiles, terracing and snackbars turned York Street into the superb stadium it now is."

Anyone know how many years it took to rebuild the York Street Ground?

Bob Lee

Re: 1978
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
Not long if memory serves me correct, close season saw the main structures erected, kinda leggo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:38:06 AM by Bob Lee »

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
Thanks Bob.
One other question; 'The local population backed them incredibly,' was that purely a backing of the new fundraising schemes, or did the fans help with some of the rebuilding work?

Bob Lee

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
If you go onto Ken's classic match, the MOTD against Sheff utd, you will hear Tony Gubba say we built this fantastic stadium WITHOUT incurring a debt.

This was down to an army of ticket sellers pushing the Lottery.

I remember the tickets were like gold dust, and sold out very quick in the first few draws.

The Town council then brought out one in opposition, this was not successful but did dent the sales of the Pilgrim lottery.

I remember Craven and Nicholas getting the steel erection contract.

So the fans raised the money, so in effect built the stadium.

On another note, just before the lottery started we played Goole I think in the FA cup.  It was a replay and a night match.  I was on a late shift so could not make the start of the match.  In them days you could get in at half time for half price.  I decided to have a drink in the social club ( then a shed ).  I was only one of two people in the club, the other being Pat Malkinson.

He was stood up the bar talking to the bar man.  I was shocked to see him not in the ground, so I asked him why?  This was his reply and I quote " The sooner the old man drops this club the better, I have better things to do with my time than to watch this rubbish."

I hoped then that he would not inherit the club.  A few weeks later the lottery was launched and the man who launched it was Pat. ???

I leave you to make your own mind up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:20:15 PM by Bob Lee »

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »
I think the Malkies have always had a love/hate relationship with the football club, at the moment its hate  :-*

Maybe its time to re-brand and re-launch the Pilgrims Lottery  :dan