Author Topic: David Newton wants to relocate Pilgrims ASAP  (Read 26733 times)

Target Sport

• View Profile
David Newton wants to relocate Pilgrims ASAP
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »
Morning folks

We've ramped up our coverage of the club in the Target. This week, we've got an interview with David Newton about his relocation plans
For a taster of the interview http://tinyurl.com/ykf5etd
To read the whole lot, see this week's Target.
For a video from the Durham game http://tinyurl.com/ykw4rkp

And follow United on twitter at twitter.com/bostonsport

Cheers

Mark
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:03:09 AM by Target Sport »

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Newton wants to relocate Pilgrims ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
Reading this today gives probely the biggest indication of what to expect,

A smaller ground to fit more within the attendance with ground been no where near the size of what we have.

On the the plus side it will be bufc ground.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
As long as there is scope to grow if needs be  ;)

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
start with two stands, then build up from there?

or is that just too tinpot?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
Sounds like it..... :-\

A bit like Northwich, with nothing at either end and just a big terrace and a main stand.

Would finance ever be in place to do anything with both ends? Or even 1?

All the atmosphere of a morgue.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Na i think it be 4 sides but just a lot smaller.

I think probely summit like seating for around 600 down one side, 2 small end terrace holding about 500 each.And summit similer to spain road down the other,  i certainly wouldnt waist money on a stand similer to the town end for 200 ish fans to stand in.

Would still give a capacity of around 3000 ish

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
3000 capacity would be way too small. It would be more than realistic if things went well on and off the pitch in the next 5 plus years for us to be in league or pushing to be in the league again and I can recall numerous matches where the attendance was well over 3000. Even against Durham on Saturday with 1300 inside with the exception of the York Street stand the ground still looked intimidating to the opposition even though it was only 1/5 full

Gaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
If say we did get into the league again isnt there a minimum capacity needed of something like 4,000 ?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
Going up and attracting them sort of gates will be in there minds and im sure were ever it is they will be allowing room for extra constrution if needed, i think at the moment its a case of getting a ground with 4 side that aint gonna cost the earth.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
Interesting development..
 I have no access  to the article . . maybe Mr Newton could restate the main points on the O/S .. but I  can't see enough money being found within the Club to fund a F / League standard stadium  .. some outside interest is needed .
  Maybe the Malks could be persuaded to build one side of the ground .. with an entertainment complex behind .
   And take a minority interest..?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:54:28 AM by father Ted »

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:54 AM »

Pity Mr Newton couldn't give the story to both papers in the town, seeing as not everyone gets the Target

Target Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
There's a taster of the interview at the following link chaps - http://tinyurl.com/yfsx9rh

Cheers

Mark

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
If say we did get into the league again isnt there a minimum capacity needed of something like 4,000 ?

Minimum of 4000 to get (or stay) in the Conference National with a minimum of 500 seats. If promoted to FL the club would also need to have the ability to go up to 5000 capacity with 1000 seated (I think this has to be achieved within a year). The seating has to rise to 2000 after 3 years, this is why we have the green seats in the YS end as we needed these to make the 2000 seat requirement.

So most of the suggestions on here are non starters if DN gets his wish and we are Conf Nat on 5 years. In addition the 2 ends must be terraced unless the capacity is met within the rest of the ground, so no open flat standing behind the goals unless we can meet this criteria.

This is going to sound ungrateful as DN has worked miracles so far but if this isn't done right from the get go we'll end up an average Unibond(Conf North at best) side if we go for a Nantwich style ground. Personally don't think we should go with what we have now but on a smaller scale as suggested by B-shire as this would make it much harder to go bigger which would be needed to go higher, and also much costlier replacing small terraces/stands with bigger versions which is effectively paying twice.

I would say build a small 500 seater covering half the length of the pitch with a terrace down the other side of 2000 and 1500 behind a goal to get us the 4000 needed if we are in Conf Nat(obviously this can be scaled down to whatever league we're in requirements*) when it does go ahead.

If and when we ever get to FL then build the other half of the seated stand down the side and put a temp stand on the other end to get the other 500 needed for capacity, this then gives 2 years to finance a further 1000 seater stand behind the goal to replace the temp stand.

* A grade (conf Nat) 4000 capacity - 500 seats. If ends are to be included in capacity they must be terraced
* B grade (conf North/South) 3000 capacity - 500 covered of which 250 seats. Ends can be flat (non terraced). Need to upgrade to 500 seats to be eligble for promotion.
* C grade (Unibond/Zameretto/Ryman) 1950 capacity - 500 covered of wich 250 seats. Ends can be flat (non terraced).

FA ground grading

Failing all this and mine (and I would guess most others) preference would be to acquire York Street. I know DN has said this is a non-starter but surely it wouldn't work out any more expensive and if development is needed to increase revenue surely the YS stand can be replaced. I know this would use some of our already limited car park but everything suggested just seems to be re-inventing the wheel as we have a FL standard ground already.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
I finding it funny in many ways that some people still have a preference of york street when.
1, you would be looking at 6m plus to do this.

Now the extra,s

Not much in the way off facilties to attract vip members, such as boxes etc and to do this id guess we would be looking at nearly adding  mil on top, althou to do this would meen the perimiters need moving(land we havnt got and is not even availible at york street).

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
Thing is BS that to build a ground of Unibond standard like Nantwich is £4 mil. They have a 350 seater stand and a very small terrace opposite with the rest being open, which is most fo the ground. To build a conf standard you're looking in excess of £6 mil and for a FL ground I would hazzard a guess at £10 mil +

And who the hell would watch non-league/lower end FL football from a box?