Author Topic: 2/3 Yr Plan!  (Read 4312 times)

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
2/3 Yr Plan!
« on: August 26, 2022, 10:09:58 PM »
Certainly not something you’d expect to hear before a big BH weekend for the club! Really doesn’t sit well for me. Definitely not a way to keep fans on board!

Cousin Jack

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2/3 Yr Plan!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 12:13:09 PM »

Have"nt seen this - nothing on website, hope it does"nt refer to the length of contracts handed out to the current management team?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 09:59:53 AM »

Have"nt seen this - nothing on website, hope it does"nt refer to the length of contracts handed out to the current management team?

Radio Lincolnshire interview. Seems unclear whether the stabilisation mentioned in 2 or 3 years is for National League or National League North...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Terry dactyl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 11:10:06 AM »

Radio Lincolnshire interview. Seems unclear whether the stabilisation mentioned in 2 or 3 years is for National League or National League North...

Probably shouldn't rule out Northern Premier at the moment either!!!  ;)

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 09:16:37 PM »
Why shouldn’t we have a 2-3 year plan? We have gone year to year and that hasnt worked.
But then, the conference/national league have been in existence for 40+ years and we have never (legitimately- an Evans promotion is never legitimate) been promoted into it so I have no idea why the majority of our fan base think we should “p1$$ this league”.

Frankly, based on the last 30 years then this is our level and we need something different to over achieve and get promotion

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:24:50 AM »
Why shouldn’t we have a 2-3 year plan? We have gone year to year and that hasnt worked.
But then, the conference/national league have been in existence for 40+ years and we have never (legitimately- an Evans promotion is never legitimate) been promoted into it so I have no idea why the majority of our fan base think we should “p1$$ this league”.

Frankly, based on the last 30 years then this is our level and we need something different to over achieve and get promotion

How can you have a 2/3 year plan when players only sign for one year? Ordinarily you'd say, "ok, let's build a team around Danny Elliott and Shane Byrne" but.... they left. If anyone is outstanding for us this season (not looking likely, I admit) they will also leave. It's a constant rebuilding process.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »
Sadly, heard all this before. Our past "plans" over the last decade have lead to a record breaking stay at level 2 in regional non-league football.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 06:43:50 PM »

We have had some players come in on longer than 1 year contracts (Shiels at present I believe), but agree that it’s difficult due to turnover of players. I’ve seen Cox get blamed for not keeping Byrne and Elliott, but frankly as they were playing well last year then they are 99% likely to move on to better offers in our league or the one above, which they did.

My main point was that, this division is our level and has been for the last 30 years (apart from the years we cheated so don’t count for me) and whilst we can aim for promotion, the widespread belief across what appears to be the majority of fans is that we are too big and are entitled to promotion, which clearly isn’t the case

How can you have a 2/3 year plan when players only sign for one year? Ordinarily you'd say, "ok, let's build a team around Danny Elliott and Shane Byrne" but.... they left. If anyone is outstanding for us this season (not looking likely, I admit) they will also leave. It's a constant rebuilding process.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 09:06:14 AM »
I had the great pleasure of being around when we did have the best team in non league football.  In that time we were cheated out of two promotions into the football league.  At the expense of Wigan then again at the expense of Wimbledon.  I am not an Evan's fan, but how is cheating the inland revenue cheating to get in the league?  I know more than you think what happened behind the scenes, but unable to post on a public forum.  Our biggest rivals at the time Dagenham and Redbridge were very worried they were going to get a visit from Mr Bean also. At certain teams it is still happening today.  You have to wonder how certain teams on low gates can attract certain players.  We were caught ( grassed ) and are still paying the price.  No other club has incurred the punishment we have. Effectively relegated three leagues and denied parachute payments.  The then chairman of the National league publicly said, Whilst he was chairman he would do everything in his power to stop us returning to that league.

We are a big club and should be playing at a higher level.  Our facilities and fan base deserve this. But I am afraid with these players and manager it is looking unlikely. But I will be there every home game, like I have for the past 54 years.  Waiting for the giant to awake.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 05:12:25 PM »
Year 2 - Get promoted back into NLN. Year 3 - Stay in NLN.

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 11:09:28 AM »
I agree with 90% of your post,Dipdodah. I do think we were guilty of "cheating" our way into the FL. If you cook the books to enable you to offer bigger wages to better players, then any promotion is the outcome of false accounting.
As for the then chairman of the National league, he was caught with his trousers round his ankles. He was shown up in public for the useless, well-connected individual her was. This made him more than keen to damage our club, which he did with that vindictive demotion to the NPL.
Anyway, like you, I am a long-term supporter and have hired a motor for the Alfreton game next Saturday.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 01:08:19 PM »
I agree with 90% of your post,Dipdodah. I do think we were guilty of "cheating" our way into the FL. If you cook the books to enable you to offer bigger wages to better players, then any promotion is the outcome of false accounting.
As for the then chairman of the National league, he was caught with his trousers round his ankles. He was shown up in public for the useless, well-connected individual her was. This made him more than keen to damage our club, which he did with that vindictive demotion to the NPL.
Anyway, like you, I am a long-term supporter and have hired a motor for the Alfreton game next Saturday.
I can't go into details, but I am privy to a little bit of background info to what happened. All I say is, how do clubs with small gates  appear to sign players other teams can't afford? It's still happening today.  Dagenham and Redbridge were earmarked to get promotion that year, Boston pi**ed on their parade. Also SE pi**ed someone off who held a grudge. The FA were handed everything on a plate. Why did Ken Charnery go to Dagenham and Redbridge? I can assure you it wasn't for less wages. Why is nobody looking into Fylde or Salford I can name more clubs. Yes they cheated the inland revenue, but were only doing what other teams were doing at the time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 02:32:13 PM by Dipdodah »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:41 AM »
I can't go into details, but I am privy to a little bit of background info to what happened. All I say is, how do clubs with small gates  appear to sign players other teams can't afford? It's still happening today.  Dagenham and Redbridge were earmarked to get promotion that year, Boston pi**ed on their parade. Also SE pi**ed someone off who held a grudge. The FA were handed everything on a plate. Why did Ken Charnery go to Dagenham and Redbridge? I can assure you it wasn't for less wages. Why is nobody looking into Fylde or Salford I can name more clubs. Yes they cheated the inland revenue, but were only doing what other teams were doing at the time.

Yes, we all heard the court case and read Graham Bean's report. We know what happened. What other clubs were up to at the time is irrelevant.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »
I never said it was right what happened. We were not caught,  we were reported.  As I said SE upset someone and this person grassed us up. I am afraid to say that there is a degree of Skulldugery. We all know the story, and we have been paying for it ever since. I think we are cleaner than clean under DN and have to be seen as cleaner than clean.