Author Topic: v Chorley  (Read 6453 times)

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
Re: v Chorley
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »
This is shaping up to be a nightmare!! What's the story on Davies, S Pollock, Solanke, Mills, and Leesley. No sign of any of them.
Zak mills sat directly behind me in block B with guests. Conversations they had suggested he was dropped.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
Trying to find something positive, Keenan Ferguson came on and seemed to want to make a difference. Apart from that not much to be positive about. Probably the worst start to the season in all the years I've been a supporter.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »
I thought a night sleeping on it might make me less irritable, but it hasn't happened. I have only seen the two home games, but I cannot recall watching two such clueless performances consecutively for years. Southport and Chorley were everything we are not: organised and playing to their strengths. Chorley yesterday had two big blokes up front, who knew how to get, keep and lay off the ball. Chorley were quicker to the ball, in front of their markers when the ball was coming to them, and getting in front of our players on the rare occasions when we tried to pass to one of our players. I cannot recall any coherent passage of play from us. We have next to no creativity, and only Crawford showed any, and he at least injected some sense of attack when he got the ball (I thought he should have been man of the match). Cox kept bellowing 'Get your shape!' when they had a goal kick or whatever, but I was still not much the wiser when/if we ever got into this 'shape'. Too often we had clumps of players in the same area which gave Chorley every opportunity to get round/past us (how many of their goals were scored by unmarked players? - two at the back post for a start). We posed no goal threat at all for pretty much all game, and there is no movement to speak of. The idea of pass and move seems to have been missing from our play for some time (and not just during Cox's time). I've no idea why Mbeka isn't playing as an enforcer, and without someone like Scott Pollock in midfield we're hardly likely to create anything. Unlike Chorley, we have no identity as a team. How are we attempting to play?  How do we intend to get the ball in the net?

Rant almost over, and I'm immensely dispirited. It doesn't help discovering that Alfreton thrashed Southport 4-0 yesterday, with two ex-Boston players (Southwell and Preston) scoring three of them. The end of last season seems like a different world......

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »
For Cox to say ‘will not stand for it and will take action’ after 4 league games seems to be an indication of extremely poor scouting and player recruitment. He had half of last season and the close season to decide on who he wanted and it’s unbelievable it’s poor in all departments. It will be a huge job to put right if Cox is even capable of doing so.

So we know any Chief Scouts for hire?!!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »
Cox got us to the playoff final with a team he inherited.  The team was patched up, with squad and loanee players stepping in to cover injuries.  They had a never say die attitude.  This seems to be missing this season.  What has gone wrong in close season?  I know the heart has been ripped out of the team and PC has brought in ( on paper ) some good players. But that desire is missing.  Has PC lost the changing room so early in the season?  Or has the Southport thrashing knocked all the confidence out of the team?  What ever it is, it wants fixing ASAP. PCs D day will be bank holiday Monday.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 06:37:47 PM »
If people want a new man are they suggesting Culverhouse/Bazza? Both who were deemed by DN as a weaker option than PC? Will DN accept maybe he got it wrong and get them both in?

I think it's extreme changing manager after four games and did feel like Tuesday was an improvement but the manner of these home defeats and even the Gloucester performance, something needs to change and quick. Even Brad's comments after the game about the players not working hard enough don't sound good, almost like the boss has lost the players.

Talking of the scouting....if the 'scout' spent less time posting cryptic gif's on Twitter and more time researching players we may have some more able players on the pitch!

Wyberton pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 08:55:06 PM »
Pre-season is the time to find your best starting 11, then when the season started, he put in three players who were not match fit and had not played many minutes in pre-season if any. He said he never starts well may be that's why. Against the Nottingham teams they looked solid at the back but didn't look like we would score many goals. He said himself he doesn't like pre-season but that's where you should sort the problem areas not leave it until the first game. Confidence is a big part of the game and at the moment we have lost that. I thought we had got it sorted at Banbury but it was short lived on Saturday.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 10:20:57 PM »
Pre-season is the time to find your best starting 11, then when the season started, he put in three players who were not match fit and had not played many minutes in pre-season if any. He said he never starts well may be that's why. Against the Nottingham teams they looked solid at the back but didn't look like we would score many goals. He said himself he doesn't like pre-season but that's where you should sort the problem areas not leave it until the first game. Confidence is a big part of the game and at the moment we have lost that. I thought we had got it sorted at Banbury but it was short lived on Saturday.

Sums it up perfectly.  That first game knocked the stuffing out of us and it will take something special to recover.
United we stand..................

stevie

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »
I do wish that Paul Cox would look at the camera during interviews - I’m sorry but I do not trust people who don’t look you in the eye when they are talking to you.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2022, 09:23:17 PM »
I know what you mean, but he can look where he wants if he can make this team successful, as far as I'm concerned (I wonder if he's tried looking to the heavens?).

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »
Cox, in interview seems to babble on.  Not filling me with confidence he knows how to put this right.  Seems more like he’s going to change a few personal in the hope he gets lucky and hits upon something that will work.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »
I found Cox's post-match interviews to be horribly unconvincing, but in fairness to the bloke, I just don't think he's great at interviews full stop. Lots of ums and ahhs, not the most articulate, often lapses into cliches in a way Craig Elliott didn't. I think that just gets amplified when the team isn't doing well, but gets overlooked when we're doing alright. One of those things.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 02:44:03 PM »
Can`t we persuade Garner to have one more season for us. He may have received his fair share of bookings but he wouldn`t stand no nonsense from those around him.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »
Can`t we persuade Garner to have one more season for us. He may have received his fair share of bookings but he wouldn`t stand no nonsense from those around him.

I was only thinking about Scott yesterday, strange decision to retire, I'd have him back, he's head and shoulders better than anything we have at present.

Probably show's how desperate we are that I'm advocating the return of a player, I'm usually dead against it but needs must, we look so flimsy. 

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2022, 09:08:51 AM »
I am getting my CV ready to apply