Author Topic: Can anyone help, please?  (Read 2023 times)

AncientMariner

• View Profile
Can anyone help, please?
« on: August 16, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »
Hi there,

I wonder if any forum members could help me with some questions I have about the FA Cup tie between Grimsby Town and Boston Town (I assume it was Boston Town) on 24th October 1891. It was a second qualifying round match, which took place at Abbey Park, Grimsby.

I believe the Boston team was Stringer, Smith, Geeson, Gent, Ostler, F. Beales, Barlow, Bontoft, G. Beales, Ryan, and Mudie. I think the spellings are correct ('Mudie' is the one I am not certain of), but I have not come across their forenames. Can anyone identify them?

I am not too concerned if I don't have the forenames, but I really do need to know the colours the team wore that day (shirts, shorts, and socks). If anyone knows that I'd be really grateful.

I'm afraid the result went Grimsby's way rather than Boston's, but from what I have read it was not unexpected. Before the match, the Boston Guardian's correspondent gave his team little chance: 'They go with stout hearts to receive their gruelling like men. It is no use pretending we shall win - the day of miracles is passed - but we might have some luck'. Unfortunately, they didn't.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help, please?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 07:59:17 AM »
See if Christian James can help over on Twitter - @bostonutdstats

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:06:52 AM »
If you look on the British Newspaper Archive you will find the match report of the game in the Boston Guardian of 31st October 1891. Here is the article from there. Got the teams, but no details of the colours.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 08:22:30 AM »
There's also a brief report in the Sleaford Gazette of the same date:

AncientMariner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:58 AM »
Thanks for the Twitter tip which I'll follow up. I'm familiar with the newspaper reports but it was very kind to go out of your way to reply with them. Best of luck to Boston for the 22/23 season!

pieman pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »
Cheers AncientMariner,  good luck with your quest