Author Topic: Funny ok game  (Read 4942 times)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Funny ok game
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 04:18:26 PM »
Seems we have a choice.   Clueless or Coxless.   In fairness he should be given at least till the end of September.
I would give him six games.  We need a settled side for FA cup.. we need some kind of a run for much needed funds.

The FA cup is one area that cox as a habbit of doing well. He took 4 different non league clubs to the 3rd round

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 04:36:36 PM »
Missed both so far due to a foreign holiday postponed from 2020. (not feeling guilty to get a proper holiday!). Listened to both thanks to Endeavour FM and BBC. Speechless. Agree with earlier comments; did not see anything really gel pre-season. But on paper, this should not be a team anywhere near the bottom. I don't feel sorry for us fans; most of us will be there again next season and the one after whether it's National League, NLN or even (shhhhh) NPL. We go because we love the club and non-league football. I feel desperately sorry for David Newton and Neil Kempster: so many play off heartbreaks, so many disappointments, so much personal time and wealth, and emotional energy invested....what must they think?

Greengrass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 08:15:28 PM »
Seems we have a choice.   Clueless or Coxless.   In fairness he should be given at least till the end of September.
I would give him six games.  We need a settled side for FA cup.. we need some kind of a run for much needed funds.

I agree with giving him 6 games minimum but the league is decided on points. So how many points after the 6 games?
9 points and 2 clean sheets is a minimum building block for my shattered confidence.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 11:32:20 AM »
Well, I wanted Elliott to be given all of last season, so it would be wrong of me to treat Cox any differently!

What's worrying me is the recruitment strikes me as being a bit slapdash - we've got a surplus of right-sided defenders, we haven't adequately replaced Byrne, the goalkeeping situation seems as fluid as it always has, and I still don't know why we signed a left-winger to play in a system that uses wing-backs!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »
Well, I wanted Elliott to be given all of last season, so it would be wrong of me to treat Cox any differently!

What's worrying me is the recruitment strikes me as being a bit slapdash - we've got a surplus of right-sided defenders, we haven't adequately replaced Byrne, the goalkeeping situation seems as fluid as it always has, and I still don't know why we signed a left-winger to play in a system that uses wing-backs!

Plenty never wanted him though, and this poor start is the perfect chance for them to express their dissatisfaction with the appointment.

I think his biggest crime is not being Ian Culverhouse............

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 12:25:02 PM »

Plenty never wanted him though, and this poor start is the perfect chance for them to express their dissatisfaction with the appointment.

I think his biggest crime is not being Ian Culverhouse............

You're not wrong there - it was obvious after Elliott was sacked that the fans wanted Cully (a few wanted Curtis Woodhouse but I get the impression David Newton doesn't like managers too active on social media). I believe he did interview for the job, but I don't know that for certain.

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »
I understand the reference given to DN on Culverhouse from the Kings Lynn Chairman was less than glowing.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2022, 04:15:52 PM »
I understand the reference given to DN on Culverhouse from the Kings Lynn Chairman was less than glowing.

That may be so, but then Cleeve is a bit of a basket case himself!

Culverhouse didn't exactly do brilliantly with Lynn in the Conference, his spell with Kettering was pretty average, and I still think King's Lynn would have been caught by either us or York had the season been played out in full.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »
I don't see Lincoln loaning us their 2nd/3rd choice keeper without some guarantee of plenty of gametime, so I think Long will be our number 1. He was injured last week.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 08:28:43 AM »
I don't see Lincoln loaning us their 2nd/3rd choice keeper without some guarantee of plenty of gametime, so I think Long will be our number 1. He was injured last week.

Gloucester didn't upload highlights but judging from Christian's video he didn't cover himself in glory for their second goal.

Frankly I couldn't give a monkeys what we've told Lincoln - we should be picking players on merit alone and in our own best interests, not guarantees made to aid development of players who do not belong to us. It's fine if you've got a Marcus Dewhurst, but players of his ability are exceptions rather than the norm.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 10:05:03 AM »

Gloucester didn't upload highlights but judging from Christian's video he didn't cover himself in glory for their second goal.

Frankly I couldn't give a monkeys what we've told Lincoln - we should be picking players on merit alone and in our own best interests, not guarantees made to aid development of players who do not belong to us. It's fine if you've got a Marcus Dewhurst, but players of his ability are exceptions rather than the norm.

He most definitely didn't. Was down the opposite end to us but wasn't the most powerful of shots, looked like he got two hands on it but it still went through him. Did make a couple of good saves during though including one one on one which looked a certain goal.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »
I think team selection tonight will say a lot. Cox said it was time to take action after 2 poor performances, so it's sink or swim time.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 11:47:06 AM »
As Scott says over on Twitter, tonight really is a massive game.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022, 01:03:34 PM »
Banbury are on a fairly meaty unbeaten run 😫

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
Need to bolster midfield- we always seem short and have two up front with pace.