Author Topic: Nightmare  (Read 5029 times)

steve m

• View Profile
Re: Nightmare
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »
I have generally enjoyed PC's interviews and found them to be honest, sometimes brutally so....

Today's, however, appeared to be taking place in a parallel universe with our beloved leader disassociating himself from the disaster on Saturday......nothing to do with him apparently!

I rather think he has a strange perception of reality!

I hope this was an aberration and normal service will be resumed shortly.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 07:14:35 PM »
I have generally enjoyed PC's interviews and found them to be honest, sometimes brutally so....

Today's, however, appeared to be taking place in a parallel universe with our beloved leader disassociating himself from the disaster on Saturday......nothing to do with him apparently!

I rather think he has a strange perception of reality!

I hope this was an aberration and normal service will be resumed shortly.

Have to agree as I was expecting a full scale apology for the defensive setup which contributed to our defeat. I don't think it appropriate to excuse it as his teams usually start the season slowly.
United we stand..................

Kirtonian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »
This result has sent me nothing but negative thoughts. I can only make a few visits each season because of my footballing commitments in the Midlands so Bank Holiday Monday is on hold at the moment.

Timshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 08:52:19 PM »
I'm hoping that we will shortly discover that southport are shit hot and that we might still be a playoff team....

TheThirdTwin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 10:02:16 PM »
I'm hoping that we will shortly discover that southport are shit hot and that we might still be a playoff team....
more likely it’ll be the high point of Southports  season and it’s downhill from now onwards. We gifted them their chances and they happily put them in the back of the net.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 04:04:39 PM »
I say upfront I was not there as at present I'm not able to attend. What strikes me is that up until now Paul Cox has been pretty much spot on but despite signing some very good players on paper, in the last week he signs two very good players and feels under pressure to play them regardless, despite signing a player of the season defender from Hereford. I'm really surprised he did that and can only think he'll sort it out in the next couple of games. I'm convinced that in their right position both these latest signings will be fantastic for the club this year. If we win these next 2 away games things will look better but what a shocker for the first game of the season, by the way yet another player not good enough for us ie Archer has a great game!!

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 09:27:35 PM »
After attending the 0-0 Forest friendly and watching a tight defensive display from B Pollack , Myles , Shiels , Mbeka , Brown and others I made the mistake of predicting we wouldn't be easy to score against. Needless to say 5-0 down at home on   the opening day of the season  I had to concede I know nothing about football.  The Pilgrims performance was everything teams spend pre-season trying to avoid , ie Disorganised,  lacking   communication  and  helping the  opposition to goals everytime they attacked  ( Although the ref didn't help playing a lovely 1-2 for the 4th 🤨)Archer was yet another ex player bound to score as they all seem to. At least we've got 45 games to put it right and individually some great players , hopefully they can start passing to each other on Saturday and Jordan Crawford might get to start.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »
Playing Leesley at left centre-back was attributed to "injuries". Sorry - that simply doesn't wash for me, we had enough options on the bench (or not even named in the squad and not reported as injured) for a back three to be assembled that made far more sense. And if the back three didn't make that much sense to the gaffer, then he should have ditched the wing-backs and played a more conventional back four - something we did second-half so it's obviously been worked on in training. Leesley himself didn't make any obvious individual errors - at least none I saw - but the defensive shape was all wrong and Southport took complete advantage.

It was a tactical howler and one I don't want to see repeated merely to accommodate a player in the side whose re-signing, I have to admit, didn't make much sense to me, even if he is good at set-pieces. I did think Cox had found him a settled place in the side prior to his injury, but this was just weird.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 08:29:42 AM »
At least we've got 45 games to put it right and individually some great players

I don't know about you Dave, but I feel like I've been following the sentence "We've got some great players" with the word "but" for about a decade now.....

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2022, 10:17:40 AM »
We do sign some great players - sometimes players capable of playing at a higher level. The regular "but" is their inconsistency. If they can achieve week in, week out, they wouldn't be playing for us. We just have to hope that it's more often than not and that enough are on form for a particular match - that is why we will always need some 90 minute "workers".

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
We always seem to get the '2nd best' players in the league or players just past their best, yes money and location are big factors but if we are serious about trying to get out of this league we've got to be liberated from the caution that DN (righty) exercises. Just a couple of marquee signings, not advocating going mad but signings to make people sit up and take note.