Author Topic: Nightmare  (Read 5019 times)

wismo

• View Profile
Nightmare
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
29 minutes gone 3-0 down

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
At least we won the 2nd half  ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:32:41 PM »
Not really what I was hoping for.
I look forward to reading the reports on here later.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

semion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:41:13 PM »
Wtaf was that.  :o   Cox has some serious issues to deal with.  Post match interview is important to the fans.  Hope he calls it like it is.  Including looking at himself

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »
Where was he when we were 5-0 down??

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 06:00:18 PM »
In the stand I believe, serving a ban

Batistuta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »
Biggest issue I have stems from preseason. We didn't build up to this game with what was going to be our starting back three and then to come in with that lineup was an absolute joke. How was Pollock on the bench???

From preseason you could see the back three wasn't really working, other than the 45 mins against Gainsborough I can't think of a notable passage of play where we both created high quality chances and looked defensively solid. We need to move away from that formation, I wouldn't know what we swapped to after the fifth goal because I had left by this point.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
Like many others I was amazed to see Joe Leesley at centre half and play all the game  especialy as only just over a week ago he was still having treatment for his injury so obvously not match fit. Zak Mills plays 90 minutes with no pre season. Sends a poor message to those on the bench in my opinion. Oh how we missed the midfield skills of Shane Byrne nobody out there capable of putting a foot on the ball and no more than three passes strung together all game. I hope this is a one off and serves as a good kick up the backside for the players and staff. Will be at Gloucester next week and hoping for something better.  UTP

wismo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 09:04:05 PM »
I did wonder why Leesley and Mills started as they only signed at the end of the week and hadn’t been involved with the pre season. Like you say it must be a kick in the teeth for those on the bench

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »
Just listened to Paul’s interview which I have to say is embarrassing.  Conceded five at home then took the positive of scoring three !!!! To late game over. 

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 10:21:40 PM »
Leesley in a back 3? Can't understand this one. I'm a Leesley fan but that's a square peg I'm a round hole there, plus he can't be match fit having not played for months. Did Cox just want to get a left footer on left side of back 3? Funnily enough I was listening to Paul Cox interview last night and one of the things he said was that one of the problems last season was not having the right squad mix and having to play full backs as centre half in back 3.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 09:20:49 AM »
I have waited until today to try and put a level headed comment on yesterday's debacle.  I know it was the first game of the season and I have taken this into account. The midfield was nonexistent, and with the plan yesterday, we have no need for one. Hoof ball seemed to be the plan.  We did not try to play out from the back, every time the keeper had the ball he over kicked it. Leesley had a mare of a game, playing in a position he is not used to.  He was totally lost. The forwards ran round like headless chickens chasing high balls that Peter Crouch would struggle to get. I worry for the rest of the season unless tactics change. I will make a proper assessment after six games, as I am sure DN will. I am not privy to the playing budget, but I would think it is on par with last season.  I hope PC has not increased the size of his squad to the detriment of quality, only time will tell.

On another note, what's happened to the bitter?  I have my pre-match drink in the concourse bar under the East stand.  I have two cans of Worthingtons, and so do my friends.  We total seven of us on a normal match day.  Yesterday the chiller had three types of lager, cider and non alcoholic drinks. I can understand this in the Townend due to the average age of the supporter. But us old buggers are bitter drinkers.  I heard a couple of others also complaining about the lack of Bitter. So who ever does the ordering " bring back our bitter please "
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »
I've also slept on it, but that hasn't made any difference. I know we're usually told that we supporters don't understand the game, but yesterday takes the biscuit. When I saw the team I couldn't understand why Leesley (nothing against him) was starting, given that as far as I'm aware he has barely kicked a ball since his bad injury. And I thought it was also a mistake to leave out Crawford (given what I'd seen of pre season) and possibly Gordon. Then when I saw Leesley lining up in a back three, a position I'm not aware him playing before) I was even more bemused, particularly when we had a centre half (Hereford's player of the season last year?) on the bench. I don't know if PC addresses this in his interview, but I'd like to hear his justification for these bizarre decisions.

And another observation: although it didn't affect the result, like last season I was appalled by Southport's dreadful play-acting and time-wasting. Every time they were tackled they went down as if they'd been poleaxed, with a yell that could probably be heard at the Stump. I've no idea if the manager encourages this, but I can't respect any manager who does. I hope I'd say the same if if it was our manager.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 02:25:12 PM »
Have now listened to PC but wasn't convinced by his reasons for the team selection. . He says the usual thing about hindsight, but it wasn't that with me when they lined up at 3pm yesterday!

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 02:32:20 PM »
I've seen the interview with PC and it's obvious he knows he made a mess of things yesterday. "Hindsight is a wonderful thing" he said. In other words, I got it wrong. I'll be very interested to see the line-up for the Gloucester game. Anyway, yesterday is history, life will always kick you in the teeth given half a chance.
I was going to Gloucester next week until ASLEF announced a day of strike action. I'll have to settle for Twitter instead.