Author Topic: York  (Read 3848 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
York
« on: May 21, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »
One game too far.  I thought we were shot shy
But a big thank you for the last two weeks. Some nice derbies next season.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Mad Dog

• View Profile
Re: York
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:05:16 PM »
Obviously disappointed with the result, but the rapport between fans and players etc at the end of the match, again, indicates that we're on the right path...once again, it was nice to hear the chant for David Newton...see you all again next season - enjoy your Summer!!

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:54:22 PM »
In the car park at York, we got talking to a couple of lads, who told us they were Sheffield FC supporters who had tried their luck (and succeeded) phoning for tickets when they went on open sale...but I suppose that there is no way to identify these to ensure tickets go to our real fans.

danboston

• Olè Pilgrims olè!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 10:05:28 PM »
When will the playoff curse end?!? So disappointing. :(

That being said...overall the team did really well: credit to the Pligrims for reaching the playoff despite having to cope with injuries and bans, not to forget a change of manager.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:20:00 PM by danboston »

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 10:39:13 PM »
BUFC supporters take a bow. All season home and a few away games people I deal with professionals in Yorkshire talk about us. It wasn’t to be but a great effort form players,David and Neil. Bar staff and Craig and stewards and all car park crew.  Today apart from the York tools to our right about twenty of them, they were friendly and polite and at the end many applauded our support. It was there day I’m convinced we will have ours.  See you soon. 

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »
I've had a night's sleep and my mind is clearer this morning.  This is my take on yesterday's game.  I am not blaming the referee for yesterday's defeat, but the first goal came from a mistake by the referee ( last time he reffed us did the same for Gateshead goal ).  I thought we worked hard, but lacked anything in front of goal.  Did we have a shot on target?  Their keeper did make a save to his right, but I thought it was going wide. I thought Elliot had a poor game, a couple of times a ball was put through and he failed to run onto it. We should have had a penalty late on when Hanson headed the ball and one of their players handled.  They had a game plan and nullified Seriki, who I thought also let the occasion get to him.

Despite the result, I really enjoyed the day. Most of the York fans were okay, even the woman who shouted insults then flashed at us :) Thought their ground was cobbled together, their home end was just a lean to. For next season, I think we need a striker to help Elliot, Wright is injury prone and has spent a lot of time on the sidelines the last two seasons. Anyway I am proud to support the team and the club and look forward to next season.

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
Also had a night to sleep on it. It felt like they had done some really good homework on us and the better team won on the day. Hugely disappointed but no complaints. I had a great day with my daughter and our support was fantastic. Even the police were thanking us at the end. I felt proud of our club but we’re not quite good enough yet to get promoted, is the honest truth. I feel optimistic going forwards though…

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 11:35:22 AM »
Although disappointed with the result I thought 3 away games against full-time teams made the difference, all the more reason why we should be looking at
going full-time next season if it's financially feasible.  Well done lads, onwards and upwards next season, hopefully!!

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »
Agree with Uncertain Corridor: "It felt like they had done some really good homework on us and the better team won on the day." I think in the end just too many things came toghether: a) too many injuries and, at least some degree of b) Paul Cox inheriting players he wouldn't neccesarily have chosen from the season off c) limited loan options in a market that was closing by the time Cox took over. Taking all that into account a really creditable pormotion push from the starting point of only just being play-off contenders in the first place.

I think the big issues now are a) whether to go FT or not (some of these players may be quite happy with a proper day job and £600-800/week on top and for family reasons may not be prepared to go FT) b) how to replace the star studded loanees who deserve to be at a higher level next season perhaps, c) how to handle some of the very good experienced older players who may not have another season left at quite the same intensity as the last one but who are really good assets if not over-played d) how to handle some of our 'stand out' players who might want away to the NL now it is clear we are stuck in NLN for one final seson.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 12:28:52 PM »
I've had a night's sleep and my mind is clearer this morning.  This is my take on yesterday's game.  I am not blaming the referee for yesterday's defeat, but the first goal came from a mistake by the referee ( last time he reffed us did the same for Gateshead goal ).  I thought we worked hard, but lacked anything in front of goal.  Did we have a shot on target?  Their keeper did make a save to his right, but I thought it was going wide. I thought Elliot had a poor game, a couple of times a ball was put through and he failed to run onto it. We should have had a penalty late on when Hanson headed the ball and one of their players handled.  They had a game plan and nullified Seriki, who I thought also let the occasion get to him.

Despite the result, I really enjoyed the day. Most of the York fans were okay, even the woman who shouted insults then flashed at us :) Thought their ground was cobbled together, their home end was just a lean to. For next season, I think we need a striker to help Elliot, Wright is injury prone and has spent a lot of time on the sidelines the last two seasons. Anyway I am proud to support the team and the club and look forward to next season.

There's no way Elliott is staying.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 12:48:52 PM »
To be honest Pete, I would not be disappointed if he left. I know it's a strange thing to say about our leading scorer, but he frustrates me a lot of the time.

brummie exile 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »
We are in a Catch 22 situation. If we stay part-time, the best we can really hope for is another crack at the play-offs. If we go full-time, the club will face significant extra financial pressures.
I think I'll leave that one to DN.
I will be very interested in Paul Cox's retained list. On the face of it, I think we're looking at major surgery, not cosmetic.
One plus point is full-time York and Gateshead will likely be replaced by part-time Buxton and Scarborough, also Guiseley going down should mean Kings Lynn laking their place.

UTP

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 06:41:03 PM »
I’m with the Elliott point scores lots of goals but for some reason I think a better combination of forwards might share the responsibility. His representatives think he’s gone already. 

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 09:13:43 PM »
Yep, agree on Elliott. He's scored a lot of goals but over the course of the season I've found him to be very greedy. Still it sounds bonkers to say I'm not bothered a 31 goal man is leaving. I'd be highly surprised if he got over 15 league goals in NL next season.

I do feel Cox's retained list won't be particularly long and look forward to seeing it.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 08:37:37 AM »
Agreed on the Elliott front, and also how preposterous it is that a 31-goal man leaving doesn't bother me in the slightest. But the fact is, like on Saturday, it does often feel like we're playing with ten men. If you listen to Cox's interviews very carefully - including after York - and read between the lines you can often hear implied criticism of Elliott. He'll be snapped up by another team no problem and will score lots for them, but I don't think Cox will lose any sleep over it. I suspect a lot of fans won't either.