Author Topic: Altrincham FC  (Read 2634 times)

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
Altrincham FC
« on: May 04, 2022, 12:58:06 AM »
Alty have been one of the few part-time teams in the top division of the National League.
Yesterday, though, they announced that they are turning fulltime professional next season for the first time in their 131 year history.

copper89

• View Profile
Re: Altrincham FC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 05:50:35 AM »
When we played Telford recently the Telford boss in aftermatch interview said he'd been told Boston were going full time next season even if not promoted. If affordable seems like to really challenge even in this league.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
When we played Telford recently the Telford boss in aftermatch interview said he'd been told Boston were going full time next season even if not promoted. If affordable seems like to really challenge even in this league.
Affordable........... Think on what i have seen this first season we should be full time and some

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »
Looking increasingly like it will be tough to win this league without being full time. Almost like the conference 20 years ago when we went full time then. Lynn were last team to win it on PPG but they were 2nd at the time and i'm not convinced they would have won if the season hadn't have been curtailed. Last 3 teams before that Stockport, Fylde and Salford all full time.

5 full time teams in the league at the moment. 4 of which are currently in the top 6 positions, could be 4 of top 5 by end of the season if York win and Chorley don't Saturday.

Must mean that all the plans around the new stadium providing a much better financial position has started to come to fruition to allow this to happen.

I recall a few years back don't remember exactly when but I think DG was manager at the time David Newton was talking in an end of season interview saying he has 3 main goals for the club 1, to build a new stadium to all the club to be financially self-sufficient. 2, to develop the community side of the club and 3, to get the club into the conference. He's now achieved the first 2, and I feel he's now keen to complete this list and get promotion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:03:05 AM by Lee Newell »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 11:47:27 AM »
The only note of caution I'd add about the prospect of going full time is that the ground isn't actually finished yet. The final phase involves the second biggest piece of infrastructure on the site after the West Stand. Given that this section of the ground contains the community sports hall and gym, both of which are crucial to Newton's vision of the ground earning revenue every day of the week, it may be asking a bit too much of the club to commit to going full time while the costs of steel and such like are proving so volatile. Newton might rightly conclude that going full time could delay the completion of the stadium, something I feel he would prioritise over the playing side.

It's also worth pointing out that the latest financial figures saw debt increase. Clearly this covered the Covid cancellations and isn't indictive of the club's financial strength over the long term, but this will have to be paid down as soon as we can.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:50:17 AM by Pete B »

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 07:57:08 PM »
Does anyone know how many, if any, clubs in the South Division are full time?

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
The only note of caution I'd add about the prospect of going full time is that the ground isn't actually finished yet. The final phase involves the second biggest piece of infrastructure on the site after the West Stand. Given that this section of the ground contains the community sports hall and gym, both of which are crucial to Newton's vision of the ground earning revenue every day of the week, it may be asking a bit too much of the club to commit to going full time while the costs of steel and such like are proving so volatile. Newton might rightly conclude that going full time could delay the completion of the stadium, something I feel he would prioritise over the playing side.

It's also worth pointing out that the latest financial figures saw debt increase. Clearly this covered the Covid cancellations and isn't indictive of the club's financial strength over the long term, but this will have to be paid down as soon as we can.

Yes will be much more interesting to see the figures for this season when they come out, with last season being messed up financially as well as on the field by Covid. I imagine the financial projections before moving to new stadium likely had crowd attendances similar to York Street, not the 25% ish increase we've had this season. Many predicted attendances would fall by that amount not rise.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »
Agreed! We may end up in an even better position than we thought. But the owners are very cautious, so rather than rushing headlong into f/t status now they might hold off and see if the crowds hold up next season while getting their accountants to give the green light. That's what I would do if I were them, anyway. You don't come this far and chuck it all away with one boneheaded decision made under pressure after a crap season.

OR, they might already know the ground is bringing in enough revenue to support the transition. We shall see.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 06:09:13 PM »
Last Sunday evening at the legends event the chairman said on the microphone that it was the clubs intention to introduce an under 23s team to retain youngsters who have progressed through the academies and include youngsters released by Premier league and senior clubs and introduce education through to gaining degrees. It wasn't stated what league they would play in although he mentioned we have lads on the verge of first team football playing at senior levels relatively locally. Certainly this is a step forward to fulfilling the long term aims of the club and who knows what the intentions of full time football is but certainly the club is not resting on its laurels. UTP

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 09:18:34 AM »
Last Sunday evening at the legends event the chairman said on the microphone that it was the clubs intention to introduce an under 23s team to retain youngsters who have progressed through the academies and include youngsters released by Premier league and senior clubs and introduce education through to gaining degrees. It wasn't stated what league they would play in although he mentioned we have lads on the verge of first team football playing at senior levels relatively locally. Certainly this is a step forward to fulfilling the long term aims of the club and who knows what the intentions of full time football is but certainly the club is not resting on its laurels. UTP

We had this a fair few seasons ago (maybe 2010/11 ish?) now with our reserve side at the time playing in the Lincolnshire League if I'm not mistaken. I think most were in agreement to say the gap was too big between step 7 and step 2 (may possibly have been when we were at step 3) and I don't recall many making the step up. Possibly just Mickey Stones up front?! I hope this works out but if they enter the Lincolnshire or Peterborough Premier Divisions I'm sure most will say again the gap is too big.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 09:20:53 AM »
Agreed! We may end up in an even better position than we thought. But the owners are very cautious, so rather than rushing headlong into f/t status now they might hold off and see if the crowds hold up next season while getting their accountants to give the green light. That's what I would do if I were them, anyway. You don't come this far and chuck it all away with one boneheaded decision made under pressure after a crap season.

OR, they might already know the ground is bringing in enough revenue to support the transition. We shall see.

On top of that 25% uplift there is the increased revenue per head with 250  people per week in boxes and Club 33.  All fine and good but I'm sure there's interest to pay on loans.  Getting funding for that last bit of the stadium could be harder now with the cost of financing going up by the week.  I suspect, being cautious, there's a third way found !