Author Topic: Gateshead  (Read 2830 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Gateshead
« on: March 20, 2022, 06:40:10 AM »
Outplayed and showed the big gulf between us and the top teams in this league. A big worry is the lack of goals from open play from our forwards.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Prof

• View Profile
Re: Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
I felt the major difference was that GH were well drilled and had established 'go-to' routines. For example, whenever one of their players was on the ball they barely needed to look up to know where 2-3 supporting options were to release the ball to. Similarly when we were in posession there was no hesitation in their ranks knowing who's job it was to press in that particular situation (and usually 2-3 of them). They created overload after overload. We weren't outclassed IMO but they had a roughly 0.5 second advantage every time.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
Without doubt they were quicker to and on the ball.  I fear the only way to get out of this league is by going full time.  It's surely something we can't afford.  I also thought we did not have the rub of the green with the first goal.  I was very close to the supposed foul that resulted in the free kick.  He never touched him.  The free kick was defended very poorly. I would have liked to have made the playoffs ( extra games etc ) but that is seeming less and less likely.  The trouble is if we did go up, we would have to go full time.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Uncertain Corridor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »
My view is that we are caught in between. We are unfortunately playing long ball and head tennis but don’t have a physical enough team for that. Almost all our passes become 50/50 chances of possession or less. We just can’t keep the ball that way, let alone create chances..they played it all round us but gained possession so easily. We made them look even better than they are..

Mad Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 05:32:11 PM »
We moved the ball with hope... Gateshead moved the ball with purpose.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
Without doubt they were quicker to and on the ball.  I fear the only way to get out of this league is by going full time.  It's surely something we can't afford.  I also thought we did not have the rub of the green with the first goal.  I was very close to the supposed foul that resulted in the free kick.  He never touched him.  The free kick was defended very poorly. I would have liked to have made the playoffs ( extra games etc ) but that is seeming less and less likely.  The trouble is if we did go up, we would have to go full time.

I think the play-offs are over for us now. Tomorrow's likely defeat at York will all but confirm it.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
I felt the major difference was that GH were well drilled and had established 'go-to' routines. For example, whenever one of their players was on the ball they barely needed to look up to know where 2-3 supporting options were to release the ball to. Similarly when we were in posession there was no hesitation in their ranks knowing who's job it was to press in that particular situation (and usually 2-3 of them). They created overload after overload. We weren't outclassed IMO but they had a roughly 0.5 second advantage every time.

Good analysis Prof and spot on about their ‘go-to’ routines.  In particular, the reverse pass along the ground between our defenders, which Gateshead’s forwards have obviously rehearsed.  It’s easier for attackers to run forwards than defenders to turn and run, which made them look quicker than us.  Full-timers have the time to rehearse these moves.

United we stand..................

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »

I think the play-offs are over for us now. Tomorrow's likely defeat at York will all but confirm it.

And if we win!!!?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 08:49:48 AM »
Well I'd love to say they're back on! BUT... we've still got to go to Brackley and Chorley and the simple fact is that York have improved a LOT in the last few weeks.

Have you really seen anything from the Paul Cox Boston United to suggest we're about to embark on the kind of run to cement a position in the top 7? We're not scoring goals, and still conceding stupid ones. That being said the games are coming thick and fast over the next few weeks and stranger things have happened....

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 11:59:49 AM »
Well I'd love to say they're back on! BUT... we've still got to go to Brackley and Chorley and the simple fact is that York have improved a LOT in the last few weeks.

Have you really seen anything from the Paul Cox Boston United to suggest we're about to embark on the kind of run to cement a position in the top 7? We're not scoring goals, and still conceding stupid ones. That being said the games are coming thick and fast over the next few weeks and stranger things have happened....

Have they?!

No I agree, we've still got a chance but it's a slim chance. We lose tonight and it's effectively done. Not impossible but like you say we've seen absolutely nothing to suggest we'll take 12/13 points from the next 15 available.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »
But even if we reach the playoffs we have done nothing to suggest we would win three games against top 7 sides. That is not to judge Paul Cox though - let's see how he does in a full season with his own players...

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 05:50:46 PM »
But even if we reach the playoffs we have done nothing to suggest we would win three games against top 7 sides. That is not to judge Paul Cox though - let's see how he does in a full season with his own players...

Yes, very true - we'd lose to the first half decent team we faced - i.e., probably the first one.

But then the club could at least say "well we made the play-offs" and it'd feel less like the useless non-entity of a season it's looking like it'll end up.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 06:20:49 PM »
[quote author=Pete B link=topic=8096.msg123203#msg123203 date=1647

But then the club could at least say "well we made the play-offs" and it'd feel less like the useless non-entity of a season it's looking like it'll end up.
[/quote]

We've suffered too many of them!!